Digital Decks. aka #Skate4
  • Gave full version of Skate XL a burl. It's a pretty darn good package! Not sure why I wasn't expecting much but the character customisation and the pretty sweet indie soundtrack are great. Not sure if you unlock more clothes and decks for completing challenges but I hope so.

The challenges are good for showing how to do different tricks and lines too, good for practice. And they load fast on PC too so it's easy to do it through the menu and not to have them scattered on the map like a normal game.

Not sure how to do the replay feature properly though. It's a little slow to track through the last few minutes it has saved which makes it a bit of a chore. But I'm sure it's easier than my first attempt.

I'll be interested to see what you think Gav.
  • I'm... Bouncing pretty hard off it if I'm honest. There's a fundamental difference in philosophy of control that's hard for me to put into words between it and Session. And I prefer Session. It made total complete sense to me almost right away. Here, I just feel confused and the feedback isn't as slick. Yes they both do a "each stick is a different foot" scheme, but Session I think needs a combination of both sticks 'flicking' in a direction to make a trick. Skater XL requires an input but won't action it until the input is completed and the stick is 'let go' and left to return to center, which to me isn't as intuitive as the feedback comes to you later than it does in Session. In Session, you can tell right away what went wrong and why. Skater XL only let's you know after something has happened. Also means it's v hard to, say, do lateflips or flips out of grinds. How do I know I've done it correct if the game won't let me know if my initial input is complete until I've let the sticks reset and the trick animation is complete? Do you follow? It's hard for me to explain, I'm sorry.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like. The opening level has spots aplenty. The big ramp is great fun, landing the rail on the way over the big hump is an amazing feeling. The brands involved are THE brands I grew up wearing. Loved seeing enjoi decks and panda tees. Soundtrack is, yeah, decent so far.

But there's something missing to it. Doesn't feel right. Feels like the licensed super shiny mobile port of a console racing game, designed to keep me playing a franchise, while Session remains Gran Turismo in what it does. It just feels so much better to me.

I dunno. I will go back and continue. Maybe the stick inputs will begin to click more. Hope that makes sense!
  • Aaaaaaaaand, I'm done with it.

THPS 1&2 pre-order Warehouse demo in two weeks, and Session is (to me anyway) lightyears ahead in responsiveness, physics, audio, graphics and feedback. So I'm staying there, with THPS holding up the arcade end of the spectrum.

Gonna put XL up in the selling thread I think.
  • That's fair. I can see what you're saying with the sticks. Took me a little while to realise you kind of load up the tricks a bit. Doesn't quite seem as immediate as Session.

I think the only thing holding me up in session is the early access stuff. Things like bailing as soon as you touch something and the time to getting back up there and just a few other minor things like that. I'll give it a bit more of a go, especially when they release their big physics update they're doing.

I should pre-order thps for the demo too. Will be funny to go back to that. At least Olli Olli has been a bit of training for it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am absolutely buying THPS redo because the 2 minute run will be ideal for me
  • Polygon give the thumbs up to THPS's new demo (released to the public tomorrow iirc via preorder annoyingly.)

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/12/21363724/tony-hawk-remaster-demo-impressions-1-2-ps4-xbox-one-pc

It is just a 2 minute high score run on Warehouse with the Hawk man himself.
  • Fuck it. Ive preordered.
    It was an almost certain day one purchase anyway I just wanted to know if it played right and a few sites have given it the thimbs up now.
  • I've somehow not... Yet.
  • I'm hoping the New Zealand timezone thing on Xbox works for this.
    If it does I'll be bluntside frontslide to noseflipping in about ten minutes.

I have really missed the THPS series. Even the shit ones on 360 filled a void (not the ones with the skateboard controller though, that thing was a death trap on laminate floor)
  • Grrrrr.

Also, play Session.
  • Where does it sit in the arcade to sim spectrum?
    I never got on with Skate.
  • It is the Microsoft Flight Sim of skate games. Ridiculously simmy, but once it clicks oh boy. Give it a chance, free 2hr trial on Xbox Game Preview.
  • I might give it a go.
  • New Zealand hack doesn't seem to have worked so it must be a single time globally for launch.
    Which means 4pm tomorrow here, grumble.
  • Well looks like you have a couple hours to spare then! ;)
  • Haha.
    To be honest I actually need to do something productive tomorrow. I've done shit all this week.
  • I should get on the pre-order too really. Will see if it triggers a flashback
  • Oh Shabby, oh Gav.

I've just started it up and I'm grinning ear to ear.
    The same Activision animated logo.
    Live action video of all your favourites with old and new footage set to Guerilla Radio. Then onto Superman on the title screen. I haven't even played the thing yet.
  • Boys.
    They've done it.

This feels right. It is maybe a few percent off which I am attributing to the Bone controller where my well earnt muscle memory says Dualshock.

There is a slight difference in that there seems to be a levelling system, I dont remember this. I seem to remember it being stat and icon pick ups.
    Instead after 2 runs I am level 2 with $10.

God this feels good to be back though.
  • Also just a point if you read the Polygon bit I linked.
    At one point it mentions a video rewind thing. I was a bit concerned that they had put in a rewind feature. Not the case. Instead of bailing and ragdolling around for a while your skater just resets but with a rewind effect. I like this as it takes randomness out of bails making for better competitive leader boards.

Also also.
    In options it is possible to switch to THPS1 or 2 controls, so if you want an authentic old school experience you can turn off revert and manual(?).
    Same menu allows you to toggle various cheats look perfect balance.
    As per the old games you also have full control of the playlist, toggle on or off tracks you want on rotation.
  • Sweet, I'm downloading now. Was gonna get PC for the fps but can't not play it on PlayStation. It's always been PlayStation
  • Yeah if I had a choice I would have gone PS.
    I dont really have the eye for it but seems smooth enough on my bone s.
  • Oh man, it's the special trick sound that is triggering me!
    Pretty sure there was levelling up originally. I think I have some muscle memory there. Full game will be a good exercise for the thumbs. Nice to see they have some female skaters in the roster too. That opening vid was great
  • I noticed later the leveling unlocks special trick slots that are fully customisable, which I think came in later in the series but still didn't have as many slots.

Seems to be 10 levels and so 10 special slots. High scores are gonna be mad.
  • So far they have knocked this one out the park imo.
  • Yeah seems super solid. Looking forward to the full release and unlocking skate videos
  • I would give a thumbs up to preorder if anyone is cautious about gameplay.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh i spent ages on the demo last night, it's absolutely brilliant.
  • Very pleased to see all the positive words. It has to have the feel, and it looks like it does.

Super busy with work and other stuff so can't really go near it til later in the week. Buzzing for it!
  • Tried the warehouse demo and basically yes they've nailed it but until I get 8BitDo to make a wired PSX style pad with all-flat shoulder buttons, using triggers for reverts will never not feel weird.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!