Ghost of Tsushima - the PS4's swansong?
  • I wouldn’t say they’ve ditched the movie loveliness at all but I’ve only played for just over an hour. I thought Last of Us 2 was stunning to look at but this is another level on the Pro with HDR.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I meant they ditched the loveliness for the advert. I'm sure the game itself looks great.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I wouldn’t say they’ve ditched the movie loveliness at all but I’ve only played for just over an hour. I thought Last of Us 2 was stunning to look at but this is another level on the Pro with HDR.

Wha?  This really looks better than LoU2?
  • Are there any definites regarding PS5 compatibility? I remember reading than anything released from maybe July onwards would be backwards comp, but that could've been a rumour.
  • @curtis do you prefer this to Nioh2 or are they not comparable?
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I bounced quite hard off SoM because despite the combat being quite morerish, it felt too 'gamey' with all the icons everywhere. Following the wind with Ghost sounds likes a better plan to help minimise 'gamefication' of the open world.

I like the idea , it looks like it's been implemented beautifully too both visually and in a functional sense. The fewer icons the better for me. I don't need a padded game, a smaller more detailed game with that cinematic look is what I prefer.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I wouldn’t say they’ve ditched the movie loveliness at all but I’ve only played for just over an hour. I thought Last of Us 2 was stunning to look at but this is another level on the Pro with HDR.
    It doesn't have anywhere near as much detail and the characters and buildings are pretty simple and generic. But it's very good at big landscape views, especially with its use of colour. I certainly used photo mode more often on this, but overall TLOU2 is a much better looking game.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Are there any definites regarding PS5 compatibility? I remember reading than anything released from maybe July onwards would be backwards comp, but that could've been a rumour.

We've just gone past the date when games submitted for certification have to be PS5 compatible last week so it won't cover TLOU2 and this but I think someone from Sony mentioned the later stuff has been checked. I'd guess all the big first-party will be prioritised or it'd be embarrassing.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    That gaming rut i've been in for the past few months has clearly been broken by this game.

I played maybe 5 hours yesterday, but more importantly went to bed early then woke up at 7am today, and after coffee etc, booted this up and have been playing non-stop (yes i took a break for shower & lunch, and then another around 4pm when my thumb hurt. What do you take me for? A sweaty heathen?)

So, the game: its not revolutionary, or even close, but it has that certain 'something' thats difficult to describe. A flow that feels good. Natural. Not forced in any way.

Yes, its another generic open world adventure, and yes, the graphics sway from gorgeous to suspect. But the selling point is the combat which is utterly sublime! And a new benchmark for open world games!

It feels satisfying. It has heft and a "thunk" that hits hard. Forget AssCreed, forget Batman, that shit is old food. This is waaayyyy beyond all that, to the point you could compare it to proper action games and it stands up. And! the more skills you unlock, the more depth is revealed. 

Okay, downers: the story and characters are mediocre at best. But is that why you're here?  No! Its to gallop full speed into a crowd, leap off the horse, plunge attack that guy, evade, kunai the second, then sprint mid-slice the archer who was tee-ing you up. And thats a baby encounter. I'm onto Act 2 and i've seen and done some crazy shit. 

All of which can be tailored to your style through charms. I always play like a rat (we know that). I have charms equipped that work for my hit & run approach. And its so flexible. I'm excited to see what comes next.

In summary: Today i'm happy. You don't need to buy this game, because its not gonna blow you're mind. Its just exactly what i wanted and needed right now.

Well that’s done a better job than any review in peaking my interest. Perhaps a birthday treat for me next month once I’ve finished Spider-Man.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    @curtis do you prefer this to Nioh2 or are they not comparable?

Not comparable at all. The combat in this is completely different.
  • I’m in day one!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bob wrote:
    I’m in day one!

Day one was last Friday Bob.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol
  • JonB wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    It doesn't have anywhere near as much detail and the characters and buildings are pretty simple and generic. But it's very good at big landscape views, especially with its use of colour. I certainly used photo mode more often on this, but overall TLOU2 is a much better looking game.

I’m a HDR whore, that wins for me every time.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Jim fuckin Sterling son loves it, spends quite abit of time gushing about the combat and visuals.
    Sort of echoes what Curtis and Gaz have said above.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I’m in day one!

Day one was last Friday Bob.
    Yeah that was the
    Joke well done
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I got it.

I figured if anyone knows about PS stuff it’s Bob or Davie.
  • Ah! That's another of those jokes well done, isn't it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sometimes blue.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sometimes blue.

Very good.
  • Just spent 6 hours with this, so here are my initial impressions...

It sets the scene very well with an on-the-rails bit that depicts the mayhem and horror of the Mongol invasion (although it lasts for a touch longer than I would like before you're able to explore the wider world).

Feudal Japan sure is very pretty, but I did reach a point after six hours where I was reaching for my Dyson leaf blower, because boy, do they over-egg that effect!  The much spoken about ability to 'follow that distant wisp of smoke on the horizon to find something interesting' isn't evident after 6 hrs of play either. The landscape just isn't setup that way - too many god damn bamboo trees in the way. Instead, friendly npcs will mark a point of interest or enemy encampment on your map. Rarely will you stumble upon a place by accident; it's always by design.

The brave attempt to produce a minimal HUD with the introduction of the 'magic wisp of wind' that leads you to your destination is laudable, but had me hankering for a good old-fashioned mini-map. But I probably just need some time to acclimatise to it.

What I am enjoying though is the combat. Much to my surprise, I am not playing the sneaky Samurai. Why? Because it's too much fun striding up to the gates of an enemy stronghold and shouting a challenge to the Mongol dogs within to send forth their best warrior for a one-on-one duel. Which is typically over in mere seconds as I read the enemy's attack correctly and release the triangle button at just the right moment to eviscerate them on the spot.  I can't see that mechanic ever getting old.

General combat is a mixture of heavy and light attacks with you switching back-and-forth between stances (momentarily slowing down time as you do so) to maximize damage against certain enemy types (of which they are a pleasing variety of). It equates to a pleasant kind of button mashing that leaves you feeling kind of bad ass after you clear out an enemy dojo.

Voice acting so far has been universally excellent, although your little Samurai guy is a touch flat.  If you go in expecting something as sleek as Assassin's Creed: Feudal Japan Edition, you're going to be disappointed. (which is the error I made). But if you accept the fact that Sucker Punch are still a Journeyman when it comes to building open worlds you will enjoy it on its own terms much more.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Thanks for the impressions.

If it was anything like assassin's creed I would be disappointed so thankful it's not as bad as that series.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I dunno, I think both Origins and Odyssey set the bar very high in relation to open world action RPGs. All the talk about Ghost prior to release was how Ubisoft had missed a trick and essentially let Sucker Punch get there first in releasing an assassin game based in Feudal Japan.  

However, comparisons between AC and Ghost are pretty redundant, not least because there are no levelled enemies and no dialogue choices.   You've got spearmen, archers, shield warriors, swordsmen and heavies that all demand a different strategy to overcome. And whilst there is a dizzying array of skills to be unlocked, it's clear that your Samurai does his talking with his Katana - words are never weilded as weapons.

Which is a shame because their is plenty of good material to work with here. Indeed there is no shortage of talkie bits during some early flashback sequences, but you never get to input into these. A good Samurai apparently listens, never questions. Most of this centres on your 'inner struggle' to keep on the honourable path of the Samurai or turn to the shadows and become an assassin. But this 'battle' is played out via your actions, not by dialogue choices. And there appears to be no penalty to stalking down the darker path, no tangible loss of honour, despite what your Samurai uncle keeps telling you.

Now I've slept on it, there's a few other things that are grinding my feudal gears about this game:

- there is no penalty to death. In fact there's a very generous autosave that immediately resurrects you at the exact location where you died, with your gear, weapons and inventory all intact. All you 'loose' is the potential Legend points you could have gained if you hadn't been slain by your assailants.  This makes dying feel like a none-event. Sucker Punch cited Breath of the Wild as one of their inspirations; pity then that they didn't introduce a hearts (lives) mechanic. Get more hearts when you visit Shrines or something.  Without this (or even gear degradation) death feels pretty meaningless.

- this digital recreation of feudal Japan is pretty, but it's also pretty vacant.  After 6 hours, I only came across only a handful of Mongol invaders. The game really suffers from a lack of random encounters. Perhaps I am to blame for this though; I've been sticking religiously to following the magic wind, which oft takes me through forest and glen. Maybe if I stuck to the roads more, I'd run into more bad guys.

- there's an alarming lack of interactivity to the world. Sure, you can shoot red barrells and hornets nests to er...stir up an hornets nest to panic enemies, but that's about all. Don't expect to be flinging enemies through the shoji or picking up the weapons of fallen foes and using them against them.  By way of consolation though, if you roll around on the ground a lot, you can become a very muddy Samurai. 

Bad Samurai, bad!
  • Jesus Christ the combat is good in this. After slaying half a dozen enemy Mongol soldiers in quick succession without taking nary a scratch, I challenge you not to shout 'Banzai!' very loudly at your TV screen.
  • That's not very ninja like.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I started this last night - probably against my better judgement - and it’s not exactly a great start. I’ll give it time - I’m only up to the first proper mission where you get the map and first choices so it’s too early to totally dismiss. I also struggled with Shadow of Mordor initially but got into that nicely eventually - hopefully this goes the same way.
  • It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:

it probably isnt few games are, but different thing making an open worlder. I've read that it's better looking elsewhere.

£55 in CEX seems a bit steep?
  • Feck, I paid £55 for it on PSN and I'm already regretting it a bit! That CEX price be crazy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!