Minecraft 4 All (The Crossplay thread) Caves and Cliffs out now! (Caves and Cliffs now included)
  • I've no idea if any of us can run it, but the RTX update is available for all now.
  • Sod that though, same update "villagers will no longer steal workstations from each other"!
  • That's half the fun!

My PC ain't RTX spec, unfortunately. Are the new consoles getting a ray tracing update?
  • Just mentioned Windows 10, so I don't think so.
  • Fingers crossed for somewhere down the road, it'd be really dumb to ignore consoles that have the capability (to some extent).

In the meantime I'll make do with PC shaders. And speaking of, I was messing around on Java over the weekend and got the fabled BSL shaders running - and holy shit, the game was so damn beautiful it brought tears to my tired old eyes. Will have a go at a couple of simple builds next weekend and see how they look.
  • Edit: Replaced Bedrock pictures with pics of the world after being converted Java.

With PS4 joining Realms I've been able to transfer my favourite worlds over to PC. Here's a few pics. This is the first (or second?) full town rebuild I attempted. The detailing is nowhere near my current standard despite this one being in creative, and you can see the progression of my build style as you wander around the town, from the river-front to the church and castle. The lovely bridges and boat were done by Scantaki. 

dxYMjcD.jpg

Yk3YgdO.jpg

vIETNkm.jpg

2nbB6BV.jpg

6jsP4Qb.png

Next up there's my survival farmstead from a multiplayer world. Located on a hill overlooking a flower forest biome, and a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the town. 

b7SsOom.png

CVOIGFg.jpg

vqIRl8o.png
  • Genuinely bowled over by how beautiful this game can be.
  • So the new update that added ray tracing to Win 10 Bedrock also introduced the RenderDragon graphics engine which doesn't support third party shaders, and now my game looks as bad as it did on PS4. 

A super new graphics engine and the game looks dull and flat unless you've got an RTX enabled PC? Fantastic. Thanks Mojang.
  • Ah is that why?

The only block that looks better is netherbrick. I don't know how much difference there is from previous base, but that shader we were using was like Minecraft HD.
  • It's all about the lighting. When I turned the game on yesterday and I was forced to view the world with the standard graphics I wanted to vomit.
  • Built a super simple lil house in Java creative mode. As a controller user it's not the simplest thing to play, and I'm relying on Steam's Big Picture controller software to emulate m&k, which it does a decent job of tbf.

The results are well worth any initial awkwardness though, and playing this game with sticks while lounging out on a sofa and looking up at the BSL shaders doing their realtime shadow, volumetric light, and ambient occlusion magic on a big TV is something else. The pics really don't do it justice.

qMC82P8.png

4lGY6GU.png
  • So after a couple of hundred hours (give or take) I think my starter project on the Badgerland server might be done, with the lighthouse and the tall-ship the finishing touches. 

RGaLAY9.png

Stormy Bay expanded from a turf roof longhouse by the river mouth to a sprawling settlement and farms covering a decent sized island. Really wish the recent update hadn't permanently removed Bedrock shaders, it's killed any real desire to do a vid or photo tour. 

The difference between this pic with vanilla graphics and my pics of the same world on previous pages with ESBE shaders enabled is crazy.
  • Took a trip to the Nether to explore the Basalt Delt and Warped Forest biome to see if I could realistically build a base there. I'd kinda forgotten how dangerous the Nether was since the update and it didn't end well. 

My enchanted diamond chestplate got destroyed and I lost my totem of undying, but I now have this really cool Fake Death emote...
  • Right, managed to get my PS4 Bedrock Creative test world transferred to PC Bedrock via Realms, then converted to Java. The conversion is pretty simple but it does break some blocks in the process - a good few slabs and fences were missing, some block types were actually changed, and redstone is a mess.

Finally got to see my builds in full BSL lighting glory though and damn... I am very happy. I'll replace the pics from earlier town post with Java pics when I can.

gj60CmG.png

AMCiFm8.png

o12Qwi7.jpg

GO7hJpp.png

uz7jcG5.png

CcTT5bu.png

D7GBEc0.png

tT2JDMf.png
  • End raid, anyone? Or tomorrow afternoon, s'all good.

Edit: Cheers for the End blasting session, Dante. We'll get that Elytra next time!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    People interested should probably investigate this before the Bethesda lawyers get involved.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The month long Minecraft Community Celebration ends this week (Friday?), so if you haven't jumped on the marketplace and grabbed all the free cosmetic items and maps, make sure to do so.

• Oh cheers, will have a look.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Great vid regarding modern city planning in Minecraft. Might be worth a look if you haven't already seen it, Dante. Most of it's a bit beyond regular survival building, but there are some great tips in here. This guys other vids are all worth a look as well.

It does seem like most of these large modern city projects are done in creative, and with large build teams, but I'm sure this kinda thing could be scaled to whatever suits you.
  • Cheers Stormy.

Realms is back up after like 12 hours.
  • Was great to get some more time in with Beano yesterday. After getting tooled up we took the Nether road to the desert village and the savannah for a look around, then took a winding river trip back through the jungle. Love that river system around our base. 

Just before Beano jumped on I witnessed something completely new to me. Was walking along, minding my own business, when lightning struck a horse in front of me. The horse transformed into a skeleton horse ridden by a skeleton archer with enchanted bow and helmet, then three more spawned around him and they all began to attack. 

It was such a cool and unexpected moment, and I just wish I'd been able to clip it. After my initial wide-eyed amazement I took down the archers (and unfortunately one of the horses by accident), and I now have three pet skeleton horses to add to my stables. How great is that?
  • n0face wrote:
    You should come back on Minecraft.
    It eats my life, I can't just dig cobble for hours anymore. Unless ray tracing has been released for the masses.

You now have 5 Shulker Boxes full of cobble in your tower.

Ray Tracing info
  • Also, ray tracing has indeed been released for the masses on Bedrock. Providing you have an RTX card.

I've had a couple of weeks off myself, will get back on this weekend. I've got plans.
  • So it seems the Destiny symbol I built hasn't been posted in here. Stormy has relocated it to my base now, but the video I made that I thought didn't record did in fact record, so here you go.

• So the Realm seemingly shat itself yesterday, and replaced the world with a brand new one. After spending hours trying to upload a backup, I gave up and came back to it this morning. The backups from that day before the world replaced itself are gone, so the latest one I have is from 23:35 the day before. It still won't work from PC, so I had to go on the Xbox to be able to replace it.

Annoyingly this is before I moved a load of villagers and switched their jobs. I don't know if anything else is lost, but unfortunately there isn't much else I can do.
  • After a monumental amount of fucking about, I've got a more recent backup after I'd put the armour stands on the road. I don't know if you've got much progress misisng Stormy, but there seems to be more where you were building in the river than on the last one.
  • I'll have a look in a few mins, but thanks for sorting that out, Dante. That's two file corruptions in a weeks or so now?

Edit: Yup, Everything I've built in the river is still there.
  • Wasn't even a corruption, just straight up changed the world.

There is, of course a bug on the tracker about the upload issue thats been unresolved for three and a half years.
  • Here it is lads! 1.17, or as you might have heard it called, the Caves and Cliffs Update is out!

583908268d3296e351e60fbf74b2a652c13a6b60-1280x720.png?w=686&h=386&auto=format

Part one you say? I guess there's so much stuff they split it in two. So we get the caves now and the cliffs later? No? We don't get either of them? SO why's it called that? Because Marketing? FFS. 

All right, what do we actually get then? Watch this video to find out? FFS.

So because I love you, I've spent far fucking longer than I intended deleting some chunks from the game. Why far longer? Because Bedrock is Bedrock. Anyway, I cleaned up the edges of the map, and then took off a fair bit of the top, and most of the ice region to the east past the pillager outpost.

I've left the portal at the top, the ocean monument, the stronghold and the portal where the Basalt Delta is, but deleted a fair amount of chunks around them, so there are some quick ways to get to new blocks.
  • I've been absent for far too long. Will be back on today or tomorrow, I NEED those axolotls.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!