Sourdough
  • Tip most of it in the bin, then add the feed and stir it in. Do this everyday and don't worry about the percentages too much, but throw a little bit more away every day before feeding it. As long as it rises and falls in the 24hrs between feeds it's good. Once it's back up and running you tip nearly all of it in the bin leaving only about 25g, which is very little. I get my starter each day, take off the lid, turn it upside down and tip it away until nothing more comes out. The risidual starter lining the glass turns out to be about 25g which might seem like a disturbingly small amount. 

For the first couple of days though keep a bit extra until it's back on it's feet.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I've updated the third op. I'll do one a day until it's done, so it'll take about a week. After all that we'll hopefully get someone going for it and baking, and then it'll be a question of what went wrong and why.
  • I’m on this once I’m out of hospital.
  • I'm attempting to resurrect my starter that has sat unloved in my kitchen for several weeks. Usually I would've chucked it and started again but if the Egyptians can do it so can I. It smells like the sourest thing around at the moment but here's hoping.
  • Mine smells like my foreskin. Is that a good thing?
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • n0face wrote:
    I'm attempting to resurrect my starter that has sat unloved in my kitchen for several weeks. Usually I would've chucked it and started again but if the Egyptians can do it so can I. It smells like the sourest thing around at the moment but here's hoping.

In future if you're going to neglect it just tip it all out and leave a bit clinging to the sides. It'll keep better like this.

When bringing back to life pour any hooch (the liquid booze on top) away first before stirring it.
  • Mine smells like my foreskin. Is that a good thing?
    Spoiler:

It should smell like beer and bread and with a hint of sour, but they all smell different.
  • When bringing back to life pour any hooch (the liquid booze on top) away first before stirring it.

I didn't do this.
  • It doesn't matter, it'll just take a tad longer.
  • Actually maybe it won't. The booze and acid kills off everything but the yeasts and LABs, so maybe it'll speed things up. It's important to let it rise and fall for a few days to get rid of the bad stuff. 

Often the first couple of rises when starting a starter from scratch are mainly from the bad stuff, so after a couple of days or so it stops rising and everyone things they messed up, but that's just the transition between the stuff that'll make you ill dying off and the good stuff gaining a hold.
  • Starter is coming back to life, so I've successfully learnt one thing from this thread. Thanks SG
  • I'll finish it by the weekend.
  • Not sure if you mentioned it SG but for anyone wondering what to do with the starter you take out after week 1 during the feeding, it makes lovely silver dollar pancakes. Just fry gently in a pan (low heat, they wont cook quick) and then a twist of rock or sea salt. Really nice and can be made ahead. 

Also (again, you may have said this already) but I cant stress this enough - get a good Bowl scraper, a small palate knife for scraping down the inside of the Starter container and if you really get into it, a Dough Scrapper (although you can use the Bowl scrapper for this)

Very handy when working with the slightly stickier sour dough recipes (especially the pizza from my own experience)

Has anyone tried using fermented veg with the starter? I've heard this can give amazing flavours, but never came across anyone actually doing this kind of thing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah fry that starter up. I like this.

A small spatula is good for the starter mixing and scraping down the starter jar - I think it's in the video. I just like a normal dinner knife to mix or or a chopstick. 

Never tried the fermented veg thing but fermented things tend to win.
  • Ok, I am doing my own starter, and I am trying to revive the old one. Two starters now. Good luck me
  • And a third one..

Is this normal? Have we launched so many satellites now you just randomly see them all the time?
  • You're launching sourdough into space?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    take me to your kneader
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    that's shit
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Doh!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    You're launching sourdough into space?

Gluten: Covenant
  • I had a biscoff sourdough doughnut today and it was lovely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!