Microsoft Excel and Other Office Apps - Qs&As
  • Nah, I have pretty good access, and it's still a fucking mess.

MS create powerful (in the sense that it can probably, somehow, do everything) software, but do a shite job of front loading the simple stuff.

Shall we design this so that the basics are easy, and the more complex stuff is there, but a click or two away, or shall we just put everything together, making basics hard?Yeah, let's make the basics hard.

I did however, do some pretty amazing data cleaning in Excel yesterday. Nabbed list of covid hotspots from dhhs website, all manner of format and cell issues. Bunch of formulas later and we have 4 neat rows/columns searching for matches to create a list of hotspots that potentially effect our clients. Hot.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ghah, final hurdle is being a pain in the ass.

Bunch of comparing suburb names goes on to spit back only suburbs that are both on the hotspot list and in areas we service, in a nice neat column with the details next to them, we now want to have info from another column appear in the cell next to it.

We can't find a formula that basically says if cell shows the thing in cell X, show the thing in corresponding cell y.

Anyone a genius with formulas and/or find them fun?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    =VLOOKUP(What you want to look up, where you want to look for it, the column number in the range containing the value to return, return an Approximate or Exact match – indicated as 1/TRUE, or 0/FALSE).

In your case you would want FALSE I think, or it might bring back similarly named suburbs.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vlookup-function-0bbc8083-26fe-4963-8ab8-93a18ad188a1#:~:text=In its simplest form, the,, or 0/FALSE).

Although according to this xlookup is better (combines V (vertical) and H (horizontal) lookups and defaults to exact matching. Vlookup would still work perfectly well though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm guessing the info you want to return is some reference data for the suburbs held in a seperate table?
  • Yep, it was a vlookup. 

We sussed it. We'd actually already worked it out but didn't realise because the table had errors. Suburbs listed under wrong region. ffs.

Answer was: =VLOOKUP(A2,$F2:$F1500,1,0) The 1 is the suburb. In the region cell: =VLOOKUP(A2,$F2:$L1500,7,0) The 7 is the region.

=JFC(FORMULA:suckmyballs)
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vlookup-function-0bbc8083-26fe-4963-8ab8-93a18ad188a1#:~:text=In its simplest form, the,, or 0/FALSE). Although according to this xlookup is better (combines V (vertical) and H (horizontal) lookups and defaults to exact matching. Vlookup would still work perfectly well though.

Don't start me on xlookup. We are using office 2016 (vlookup only.) Have seen vids of xlookup. I yearn.
  • This isn't an excel thing but couldn't think of where else to put this (not really put much thought into it tbh sry).  

Gmail decided just before Christmas that I wasn't allowed to have the shortcut for CC anymore (ctrl+shift+C).  It's really fucking annoying because I use the CC a lot and a couple of people have asked the same question and received no response.  All other shortcuts seem to be working with no issue, including custom ones.  

Has anyone else come across this?  I've tried clearing my cache n shit just in case but that did nothing but sign me out of everything.
  • If you can create custom ones, can you recreate it? Forgive that question because I'm guessing it's the first fix you tried,but gotta check.
  • Appreciate any suggestions, Face.  CC isn't a custom shortcut, unfortunately.
  • Well, I just tested, works for me. And now I know about it, I'll use it. So thanks. If it fucks up, I'll report back.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What browser are you using Face?
    Maybe it's a browser thing not a Gmail thing, perhaps hands' browser has reserved that shortcut so isn't passing it to the webpage?? Maybe it can be fixed in browser settings somewhere?? Of course it could be regional rollout
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm on chrome and sometimes brave (which is chrome under the bonnet anyway.)
  • Oh yeah, forgot that I had tried on another computer's chrome and the shortcut was there. Maybe they were on different versions, though? Didn't check that. Cheers, Cocko. Will report back, keep you informed so you don't miss out on the exciting conclusion to CC-gate.
  • Just tested. Works on both chrome, brave and edge. Works on all.
  • Yeah, worth checking if chrome is up to date.
  • Well, crap.  It's not a browser issue - it works in chrome on my laptop but doesn't work in (updated) chrome or in firefox on my PC.  I can't think of anything that I'm using that would take over one very specific set of keys.
  • Stretching here. But which windows and which brands?

How's this for a strange test of keyboards: remote desktop your pc from your laptop and try it.
  • Hmm... interesting, hadn't thought of it as a keyboard issue.  May have to update the drivers and see if that helps.  I haven't a clue what could be conflicting here.  Tried my fancy keyboard in the shitty work laptop and they didn't agree with each other.  None of the keys worked!  Can't remote in, unfortunately, but I could scrounge out a spare keyboard.  

Windows 10, PC was built by Mr Hands so all sorts are here.  

Trying to think of anything that we updated or changed just before Christmas but my memory really doesn't go back so far.
  • Does either the laptop have any brand specific keys? Haven't known any to be on stuff as important as shift or ctrl, but my Dell has a special g button up where the f keys are and they all have secondary functions.

Meanwhile, over with office 365, I've basically spent 2 and half days like a plane on a treadmill trying to get forms and spreadsheets to talk in power automate.

I was following step by step youtube clips, I was trying sharepoint lists, I was creating forms first, then spreadsheets first, using templates, starting from scratch.

Couldn't crack it. Then my boss works out that you can only do it through your own onedrive and only at the top of the directory. So can't even create a folder etc. It's a specific item in a drop down list and if you're not at the top of the directory tree it just doesn't show up.

Now it's found, took me about 30 minutes to do what we wanted to do.

Fuck a duck.
  • Just a standard computer Dell keyboard on the laptop.  I'm wondering if MSI is fucking things up... it's done it in the past but not sure what's been changed for me to change it back.
  • Msi might be a thought. Anything that's the equiv of bloatware, Samsung style, is a reasonable guess, surely.

Here's a rabbit hole thought for folks...

Now I've finally worked out how to send form responses to a specific workbook, I'm looking at setting up some seperate sheets that break down the info a bit more.

Basically, the form I'm working on is for booking meeting rooms. Reception can then approve or reject the form through approvals in power automate. This fills in a cell the spreadsheet with approved.

I have a combo of vlookup and conditional formatting doing gods work and it can match a calendar in the second sheet to see if a date has been requested on the main sheet, but I need it to only do that if the status cell is also saying approved.

Every suggestion online seems to rely on vba, see link here.

https://youtu.be/3rUNrRjbZzI

But if that means macros has to be on that is a problem because it's not accessible to most in the org by default.

Realised I do have xlookup when using the Web Excel which is good. Couldn't get it to help any more than vlookup though.

Wonder if I could do a vlookup for the date columns to a second sheet, then a vlookup to approved, then do some matching and conditional on the second, or even a third sheet to filter it down to dates that have been selected, only approved.

Also, has anyone ever used power bi? Seems like a glorified pivot table and chart, but seems to have some advantages. File size and purdies for a start.

Also, array, string and integer, probably in a coding context. What do they mean in regular human terms?

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Can't help with the excel stuff unfortunately, but an array is a collection of data of the same type.

A string is essentially text, it has no numeric value (even if it is a numerical digit).

An integer is a whole number.

A float is an approximate fraction of a numerical value (I think it involves rounding etc).

A decimal is an exact representation of a numerical value.

I'm not a programmer though, so take those definitions with a pinch of salt. I'm sure one of our coders will provide much better definitions.
  • Hmmm. Array makes sense in context. String doesn't. Fuck power automate.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've fiddled with Powerapps - they are pretty impressive for getting something up and running quickly.

I built an app in minutes from a simple spreadsheet with multi-user updates etc.  But I've only touched the surface. They can be easy to screw up when you try to change things - sometimes it's easier to scrap it and build it again from scratch. They seem to be built inside the Dynamics platform which is a beast.

There's a pile of pre-built entities which can be adapted for custom use but to be honest what I have seen of their entities is pretty comprehensive.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Hmmm. Array makes sense in context. String doesn't. Fuck power automate.

What's the issue with strings? Are you returning strings when you are expecting a numerical value?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can you do stuff like =IF(AND(in_calendar, NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(..)))), blah, "not found")?

Not sure sure I understand exactly what you're looking for, but formula composition can get pretty deep...
  • Just about cracked the code on my spreadsheet. I suspect there's sometimes easier ways to do the things I do, but I have my tricks and I stick to them.

I do use the most simple "=cell from another sheet" to clean a lot. And the next step is now a basic if statement, then show the contents of a cell. Then conditional formatting to have duplicate dates change colour on the days of the month with a meeting.

Gonna do some conditional if specific text colour coding too and the final page should be easy to read for the admin team.
  • Dammit, that mail merge trick gets messed up by fancy headers and _ in table names. Have had to faff a bit more than I would have liked on some new letters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!