DEMON'S SOUUULLLSSS
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    It is kinda worrying the original might be superceded by this in terms of availability. On the other hand, a PS3 will still connect to your modern TV and play the HD port of the original Shadow of the Collosus and the original Demon's Souls with them looking just as good as they ever did
    Servers are switched off on PS3 DS now though. And that's always going to be a problem with archiving old games like this - it's going to kind of get lost whether it's superceded by a remake or not.
  • Which is why I tend to caveat my request for archiving with "best possible version" 

Just because true authenticity is often impossible due to lack of hardware or servers, doesn't mean we should just accept it's going to fade. People can do things about it, if they are allowed to.
  • I adore demon’s souls on the ps3, still have my black phantom edition upstairs (and my ps3 is under my parents TV for when they need to watch blu rays or dvds or my dad wants to play ‘sniper elite’ for the 1000th time) so I can always go back.

But I would much rather play this new thing. I think it looks incredible and I love the new direction.

You’re right though, it’s a shame if the original gets forgotten as it’s harder to play, but at the same time I like seeing a new take on it. Also the fact it very much isn’t the same is kind of why I want to play it, otherwise I would play my ps3 right?

Edit: ah, point taken on the servers being switched off.
  • Thought there was really well emulated version of this on PC, with networking features intact?

May not be legal but it's still a perfectly archived version of the original - with optional > fidelity options etc.
  • The community is hard at work trying to figure out how to open a secret door that wasn't in the first game. I love this stuff more please...

• Oh man I wants this so much.

Someone buy me a PS5 PLEASE
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It really is amazing to look at and play at 60fps. I played and love the original but don't have any stake in it so am enjoying this for what it is. Similar to movie remakes it doesn't take away from the original although, as Tempy says, there needs to be more effort put into making the originals available. It should come with it really.

But fuck me if it isn't the most next gen thing I've seen and played in a long time. Stunning stuff. It would be good to have the Bluepoint team work with someone like Miyazaki to make something with more directed vision for the game on the whole.
  • @Shabby Have you tried comparing the fidelity mode to performance mode? Saw an interview Bluepoint did where the game looks so good at 60 FPS as the resolution is dynamic compared to the cinematic mode.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I've only played in 60fps mode. It's so smooth that I can't see myself enjoying 30fps. It looks stunning and from the videos I've looked at it doesn't seem to be compromised detail-wise just resolution (although I guess we'll wait for digital foundry on that) so I don't see any point to really try it.
  • Was watching Distortion playing last night.

Good to see the Pure Bladestone grind is as fun as ever :-(

His stream looked gorgeous, 60fps and with plenty of detail being shown.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    All good so far, but if there are like "here's a thing that's different the OG" can we please spoiler it?? I'm hoping to enjoy this with minimal mediaage.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    OMG there's a jump button.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nnggg
  • There are swords too
  • Anyone seen pictures of the secret bosses, the Old One’s spawn apparently?! I hope there’s a trophy associated with finding them, I love secret bosses in games. Hope they don’t call them ‘the Young Ones’ or something stupid though!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Elf immediately in with the spoiler, good stuff.
  • I've heard if you beat that boss you get some footwear that lets you clip through walls, it's called "The Demon's Soles"
  • Hmmmm. I’ve not heard that one. Yet. 

Although there are rumours where you get to play as King Allant during a flashback section.
  • Yeah, where you get to use the Sword from the Nexus as his secret Soul Art!

I am surprised they added soul arts in to Demon's Souls, but it was weirder that they added the gun parry from Bloodborne too, surprised people haven't criticised that inclusion more, it seems like lame fanboy baiting.
  • Have you heard about the secret 16bit mode?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah but I wonder why they went for the Capcom (Street Fighter) rather than Konami code at the title screen.
  • No idea. I heard the Capcom code if inputted on the pause screen activates Big Head mode
  • And if you finish the first boss in under 5 minutes you unlock "slappers only"
  • I know its not Demons but I introduced my 10 year old to dark souls this weekend....   clearly im shit as he managed to get to blight town today only losing his life twice.   Little shit....
  • I'm assuming muzzy has imploded from all this tomfoolery. Good work team
  • I know its not Demons but I introduced my 10 year old to dark souls this weekend....   clearly im shit as he managed to get to blight town today only losing his life twice.   Little shit....

WOT?!

I'm calling bollocks Jimmy, no one dies that little through Blightown. ;)

How are ya bud

• That's insane. What are you feeding that kid??

I've put hundreds of hours into Dark Souls across 360, One, PC and Switch and even I find your son's achievement incredible
  • I think this is a fair enough assessment in that, whilst the visual upgrade is stunning there was a missed opportunity to update gameplay too. It's a tough one really as making changes to gameplay can really take away from what the original was doing and would be an easy thing to really fuck up. But, you're kind of doing that anyway by changing the visual styling so why not go whole hog into it. 
    I think getting a full on remake like they do with movies would make for a more interesting end package and one that could even improve on what came before. Especially as the games that tend to get remade have pretty rabid fanbases that would have an accumulation of feedback that could be used in this regard.

I'm still very much enjoying the game though.
  • Eurogamer review is out. They gave it a "Recommended" rating.

Wish i had PS5 preorder. Guess i will have to wait till next autumn.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!