Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A bit pathetic.

Kind of sums up the whole scene for me so I'm going to dob out of the thread.
  • I'm not particularly bothered either, but I can see that those invested in speed running a particular game are.

What if someone has say 10 new records of incremental gains saved in their pocket, then whenever someone gets a new #1 they just post the one that just beats them, then do that again each time someone beats that and so on. It's not against the rules but it's a dick move.

The argument 'anyone in the world may have beaten you they just aren't in the community' doesn't hold water, we're talking about the SR community.
  • I’m just confused by the whore in the thread title.
  • The point was the only record that matters is the one posted on the board. Who cares if 7 months later someone posts a better time. You've had the record for that time, not them.
  • Vela wrote:
    People are just mad he beat them.
    This
    There is something interesting about how video game world records can count if you do them anywhere but sports records only count in completion. The latter can add spiciness and greater importance to a world record imo while clearly it may not be a true reflection of the peak of human skill.
    But this is too is an interesting point...i bet there's loads of sports and events where people could break records in training and practice given unlimited attempts etc.

Anyway, the main thing is why bother with MK64, it's rubbish. Super Mario Kart, now there's a game to be champion of... :D
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    High scores are still a really big deal to me. I've never progressed from the sensibilites of the arcade. If a game doesn't have a score attack or similar - of if a score is there but is largely irrelevant,  I tend to feel a tiny bit disappointed.

Love a time trial mode too. Nothing like the satisfaction I get from beating my own score or time. It's especially good when you are learning a game and are in a phase of continuous improvement.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nick_md wrote:

That's kinda what happened in Punch Out, this was a cracking video on the quest to beat Matt Turk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBR9ypSOTGQ

Love me some Summoning Salt.

Really enjoying this, thanks for posting nick. About half way through atm. Who knew NES Punch Out had so much depth to it!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • No probs :)

His channel is really good, I've pretty much watched all of them now though and clucking for new content. I watched the Ninja Gaiden one recently, that was really great too.
  • The people are obviously salty he beat them, but he also was pulling a dick move, those two aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    @mk64 Can we see the best examples of two-footed lunges from the disgruntled community or would that be poor form?

Here’s the main thread (there is a subsequent apology thread from dan). https://www.mariokart64.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1591926430

Some of the worst bits were modded already but there’s still some pretty harsh stuff said from people who have been around 20 years. Discussion also tangents about the-elite.net as we have a lot of n64 players who also played GE and Perfect Dark. Goose does quite a lot of speed running videos and he gets tossed out of the thread which is a highlight for me.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Is that Rwhitegoose? Didn't he have some far-right scandal?
  • The more I read into this the funnier it gets. The guy was submitting slower WR times on the NTSC version so that the grand champ would focus on those while he hoarded loads of PAL WR times and then Kablammo... Beat these 12 WRs MF
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    The more I read into this the funnier it gets. The guy was submitting slower WR times on the NTSC version so that the grand champ would focus on those while he hoarded loads of PAL WR times and then Kablammo... Beat these 12 WRs MF

That's even better.

I want to know what's gone on with Terrence Fenner, why is he blackballed?
  • The one space this is an issue is if people need to see others work to do better. I imagine the current leader has worked on things learnt by others so to not offer that instantly where the culture is to show it off immediately is rude.

If someone gains a WR in these spaces by virtue of a “you won’t believe how many seconds this trick will shave off your time” then I think that should really be shared.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Surely timing when you reveal your best performances is all part of the game?

I appreciate that some folks see these communities as a way of sharing info with a view to see what is humanly possible - but others just like competing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Those guys would shit a brick if they found out about my Wario Stadium shortcut.
  • If the original champ is just spamming the single track he gets beat on until he gets the record back then fuck him. That doesn't seem to be in the spirit of fair play either. Now the shoes on the other foot. That said you don't have this commitment to a decades old game without, by defintion, taking it a little too seriously so people were always going to be pissed off. Hats off to the hoarder for the tactics imo, especially the distraction times he posted.
  • Short of actual cheating, this is the shittiest move I've ever seen in the MK64 community.

Dan: you hid your progress for over a year, and for what? So you could stroke your ego by claiming to have been champ for at least a day? Don't make me laugh. This was nothing more than a year of cowardice during which you deprived the community of what could have been a thrilling battle for the title and a fantastic story line to follow. Instead, as far as I'm concerned, you've tainted your entire legacy as a player with this sham, and your name appears in the Past Champions page not as a source of glory but as a mark of shame. Forget MJ, you're the chump.

I am absolutely appalled by this situation, and I can only imagine how awful waking up to this news must be for MR. I view this as a complete and utter betrayal of the community and of its competitive integrity.

I hope MR regains his title as quickly as possible.

What a disgrace.

Damn son, this guy sounds like he's cutting a promo for WWE. I love his outrage that the community was deprived of a story line hahaha. 

I don't understand how people so invested in a competitive activity are having a hard time dealing with people giving themselves a competitive advantage. You have to expect that at the highest levels, sitting on your WRs has some very distinct advantages. 

This guy sounds like the kid who would start crying if they kept getting thrown by Chunners in SF2.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It's comedy gold for sure. Could only have been funnier if it turned out that lots of people had been doing exactly the same thing, resulting in an ACTUALLY, I AM SPARTACUS! moment of everyone trumping each other with their all-new secret times.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • monkey wrote:
    If the original champ is just spamming the single track he gets beat on until he gets the record back then fuck him. That doesn't seem to be in the spirit of fair play either.

You don't understand speed running it seems.
  • Hiding your times for over a year is a dick move, it's not against the rules sure, but it's a dick move that's clearly against the spirit of this particular community.
  • Eric's top tier usage of 'kablammo' has tickled me.
  • Eric's top tier usage of 'kablammo' has tickled me.
  • nick_md wrote:
    If the original champ is just spamming the single track he gets beat on until he gets the record back then fuck him. That doesn't seem to be in the spirit of fair play either.
    Do the things the fastest?
  • monkey wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Do the things the fastest?

Yes and I don't think it's uncommon to focus on a single track / part of the game (I'm not an expert in fairness, I've just watched a fair chunk).
  • Dissapointingly, from reading the thread it appears that the NTSC times weren't a distraction technique, they had some tournament thing, and the times posted were from that.

The dethroned guy took the title from someone who wasn't actively playing at the time as well, meaning he didn't have the same barrier to getting top spot as this guy did. So it's not like he can even argue that he wasn't beaten in the same way he beat the previous guy.
  • Clearly we just don't agree.
  • Poor Dan. I guess that crowd-funded statue will have to be put on hold. Heaven knows how long it will take for his children to live this one down.

Somehow i really like that this drama exists. I’d be happy to PayPal this guy a beer
  • I don’t have strong opinions about it. I just think two years of having your efforts slapped down is going to grate after a while. But speed running is never something I’ve understood.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Is that Rwhitegoose? Didn't he have some far-right scandal?

Goose had a bit of a fucked up period aye but he seems stable now and puts out some fantastic lore material on Youtube.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!