‹ Previous12
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe this should be in the retro thread but I'd like more to see this.

If I have a favourite game ever it's Asteroids. Anyone who knocks around the retro and shmups threads will know this. I own a Deluxe cabinet and it's one of the few games that I will buy associated tat for. It's a great game - timeless in my opinion. The basic rock busting mechanic, merged with Newtonian motion and randomness create a non linear game and no two waves are the same. But that isn't the only reason I love the game. It goes back to my teens when I was an arcade denizen and I got my 2600 in July 1982.

The funds for that 2600 came from a matured endowment policy. My parents promised me £100 of that. This was a big deal. Money was pretty scarce. I'm from a humble but solid and practical background. My father grimaced when he handed over the £99.95 for it but he followed through on his promise. At this time I had already got into computing in school. Had written some programs on the school Apple II and my interest was picqued. The shine had long gone off our Pong console and the 2600 was THE thing to get at the time.

It came with Combat. Major releases then were £30 a pop (>£100 today). But by pure chance we found out that there was a promotional deal in the newspaper. If you sent away your proof of purchase of the 2600 you got Asteroids for free.  Asteroids was a terrifying tyrant in the arcade. It's black and white images had aged by then so my coins had started going elsewhere due to its difficulty and waning star. So while I was pumped about getting a 2nd game it wasn't one I would necessarily have picked.

The next month we were on holiday in a caravan at the seaside when it arrived. My aunt and uncle drove up the night before we were due to come home (they would drive us home the next day) and brought the package with them. Caravans in the 80s had no electricity so I had to sit and look at the cartridge and read the manual all that night! The journey home the next day took forever but I got home and went to my other uncle's house who had borrowed the 2600 while I was away as it intrigued him. He had introduced me to video games by buying a pong console several years earlier so he had an interest.

We were both blown away by Asteroids. For its time it was a pretty solid port and my uncle absolutely loved it. He kept turning up at our house to play the following week and when he made up his mind to get his own 2600 the promo deal had ended and that put him off (£30 back in '82 was a lot of money on top of £100 for the console).

My brother and I played Asteroids every day for at least a year (game 39) and when our cousins visited it was one of the favourites too. When we were pushed off the main TV by my parents we played on an ancient second hand black and white TV we had in our bedroom. Many , many happy hours. No other video game has had quite the same effect on me.

My uncle died quite young (at 49) and I always associate the great summer of '82 with the game but also have a tinge of sadness when I think of his death which was around 6 years later. It's a bitter-sweet memory which is stoked with nostalgia. The 2600 lit the spark in me which ended up with me making my living in IT , and my uncle gave me a little nugget of advice about next steps in my education to pursue that - so you can imagine what that little game means to me.

Like an idiot I sold my entire 2600 collection a few years later and pissed it up against the wall. I have since hoarded games. Had to have a clear out a few years ago (which funded the Deluxe cabinet purchase). I have since got a couple of woodys (or is it woodies?) - one PAL and one NTSC modded for composite. Also have a Harmony cart which lets me play any game I want by copying the ROM onto its sd-card.

But.....Just got this in the post. I simply could not resist it. The game is complete with manual.

5wVgPEt.jpg

I might take the cart out and put it in my woody - but I probably won't. I just wanted to own this.

Just wanted to share this wee story.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rarrgh formatting rrarrgh
  • Ctrl+shift+v when pasting will strip formatting, otherwise you can swap to "view source" mode after pasting to get rid of it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or the little remove formatting button just above where you type (on desktop anyway)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ooh, all better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sorted.
  • Asteroids is a timeless classic.

Simple, different every time, and 100% puts you in "the zone" while playing.

Don't think I ever played the coin-op version, just on 2600, but it was definitely one of my most played games on the system.
  • Nice one Davy.
    I remember playing an original cabinet at a video game history exhibition. Was impressed at how much the graphics popped off the screen and how much fun it was too fly about with those controls.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I put a lot of coins into it in the early 80s and never managed to be any good at it at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What was that game that had the same graphics and the same ship but it was two player? There was a numeric keypad that let you add conditions like gravity and black holes and stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was a variant on Space War by Cinematronics in the arcade - sounds like that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here it is. Was too hardcore for its own good really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOtqX8r2rcE
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That was it yeah. It was basically impossible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The gravity even affects the bullets. Nuts. A modern version would probably go down well as a niche thing.  If I remember right you can get hit and have your engines damaged but still be able to fire. Pretty sophisticated really.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, you can see it in the video. You can still control half the ship.
  • Good stuff.  This wouldn't be out of place in the "Love Letter to..." thread.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Good stuff.  This wouldn't be out of place in the "Love Letter to..." thread.

Had forgot about that - better place for it... I think I have Asteroids in there but I could update the entry with this.
  • Good story, nothing like getting your hands on tech in those days. It seemed so unobtainable, it was almost magical it was so impossible in the home just a short time earlier. Financially it was wild as well.

I only really remember the arcade version. I wasn't good at it at all, but those vector graphics are so smooth and bright in my memory.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bonus image...(complete with humblebragging - Tatsunoko v Capcom controller box) The little arcade cab  is a collection of badges.

https://i.imgur.com/1qlhs2Z.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And of course...for the few left who don't know about it:

https://www.davykelly.com/asteroidsdeluxe/hall2small.jpg
  • WTF
  • I want a Street Fighter 2 cabinet in my home please please please one day, most and best memories ever
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Love it, and I loved that game, have long had an idea for a similar arena shooter but with a gravity gun mechanic for throwing enemies into hazards, the trackball of asteroids was what made it just so
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Asteroids didn't have a trackball.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope - 5 buttons. rotate, thrust, fire and either shields or hyperspace.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What??? Almost all my interactiosn with Asteroids includended a trackball

There was obviously a machine on Bournemouth seafront that had a trackball, so that became my truth
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Can you imagine playing it with a ball, and two buttons, fire shit and warp to somehwere
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You might be confusing the controls with those of Missile Command.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nice one Davy. I remember playing an original cabinet at a video game history exhibition. Was impressed at how much the graphics popped off the screen and how much fun it was too fly about with those controls.
    Same here. I first played it a few years ago at a retro convention in LA. I was really surprised by how it looked, but couldn't get my head around the controls. No impressive scores where set that day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vector monitors are still pretty special even now.

The controls of Asteroids take some getting used to but once it clicks it's a thing of beauty.
  • Yeah I don't think I'd seen a vector monitor before then
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!