The Greatest Hit 2.0 - Songs with punctuation marks in the title
  • We did Nirvana and Soundgarden (as part of Cornell) when I was running the thread.

I'm wondering how to do another grunge round if there is interest.
    Maybe Alice in Chains vs Pearl Jam.

Maybe a Scott Weiland round folding in Stone Temple Pilots with Velvet Revolver.

I also considered a Slash round.

Faith No More?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Never really got into the Stones even though they’ve had some moments. Will abstain from voting on this occasion.
  • Paint it Black wins with three votes.  Gimme Shelter, Under my Thumb and Miss You ran it close with two votes apiece.  Sway, I Can't Get No (Satisfaction) and Sympathy for the Devil received one vote each.
  • Let's do grunge era Seattle bands then.  Nirvana and Soundgarden have had their own weeks but a revisit as part of the scene won't hurt.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Paint it Black wins with three votes.  Gimme Shelter, Under my Thumb and Miss You ran it close with two votes apiece.  Sway, I Can't Get No (Satisfaction) and Sympathy for the Devil received one vote each.

We are the most vanilla of forums.

• Grunge era Seattle gets a big ooof from me. Too many to choose from, I’m too big a fan.

I’ll end up picking something from the Afghan Whigs though. I know that much.
  • As a fan of pearl jam, kinda feel they have a big enough collection to justify their own place.

Also think they outgrew the seattle thing pretty quickly with only ten feeling like a proper grunge era album. And even then it's not true grunge.

While I don't think it represents their best work, it does feature most of their most recognisable stuff with Jeremy, Even Flow and Alive all being strong contenders (while Black is probably the best song on the album, it doesn't scream grunge to me)

Also hard to leave Alice in Chains and Mudhoney out of a settle discussion - Would?s rumbling base line is very iconic of the time and Mudhoney were the band who many of the successful bands would name check on mtv but never could quite break into the mainstream themselves - some might say they didn't want to and they've had plenty of albums since the grunge era.

Going back to pearl jam - I think ten overall is too well produced an album to be true grunge. In a similar manner this cuts out Stone Temple Pilots (another group I think would warrant a topic on their own) and some of the sub pop era bands probably see the likes of STP as band wagon jumpers in regards the era.

So.... I think the long serving mudhoney deserve a little spotlight. Choice cuts for me would be such you dry, here comes the sickness, overblown (itself a fun commentary on the seattle scene) but I feel its best to go with the song that many see as the breakthrough track of the grunge era - touch me, I'm sick.

https://youtu.be/_nGsT_qFMBs

Very much an unsung band, I wouldn't call this my favourite mudhoney song or even the best grunge song you'll ever hear but it's an early one and you can hear its influence in the links of hole and nirvana.

Fun fact on mudhoney - they can be rightfully seen as the non-commercial champions of the grunge scene. Both pearl jam and mudhoney came from the band green river with mudhoneys Mark Arm and Steve Turner taking the lest glamorous approach to music while pearl jams Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard actively looking to get onto a big label. There's not a huge amount of early green river on Spotify but it has a sound much closer to mudhoney with a touch of sonic youth as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It always helped (for me) that Mudhoney had - and displayed - a sense of humour. Grunge’s earnestness was a big barrier to entry for me at the time - it’s a genre I grew to love retrospectively.
  • poprock wrote:
    It always helped (for me) that Mudhoney had - and displayed - a sense of humour. Grunge’s earnestness was a big barrier to entry for me at the time - it’s a genre I grew to love retrospectively.

Fair point. I blame a lot of that on Eddie Vedder and his initial success at the start. I do love their music (his solo stuff too) but I find my eyes rolling whenever I read a vedder interview. Far too serious and desperate to be "worthy", especially in the early days.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    As a fan of pearl jam, kinda feel they have a big enough collection to justify their own place.

I wanted to give them their own week but wasn't sure if many badgers would be up for it.  

I'm a huge fan, to the point of obsessiveness many years ago (a long gone Pearl Jam tab forum is the only other thing I've been 'active' on in terms of online participation).  I hoovered up the live albums in 2000 etc, must have bought 15 or so.  Having said that, I also do the Veddercringe from time to time.  The earnestness has taken over his speaking voice and part of me wonders if it's all an act and he's overcompensating for being a secret cunt.      

Still, there's nothing quite like the whole shebang and tickets would have to creep over a ton for me to turn a gig down when they tour.
  • I saw Pearl Jam play an acoustic set at the Crocodile Café in Seattle. Pure luck – I was there for 4th of July weekend and saw a queue outside when walking past. Asked people what they were queuing for and when it turned out to be Pearl Jam I just joined the queue. Well worth waiting a couple of hours for!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I know they don't quite fit but kinda do but....MELVINS MELVINS MELVINS MELVINS MELVINS MELVINS MELVINS MELVINS.

I like most of the grunge stuff. Right age, right time etc. Massive AIC fan and still listen to them alot.
  • Ah yea baybee! I would love to recommend a Pearl Jam in here or a Soundgarden, or some Nirvana but imma go with this, because the chorus is heckin fun to yowl along to.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Paint it Black wins with three votes.  Gimme Shelter, Under my Thumb and Miss You ran it close with two votes apiece.  Sway, I Can't Get No (Satisfaction) and Sympathy
    for the Devil received one vote each.

I think I forgot to
    Put
    Mine in bold
    But this is the right result

The Forum Herald™
  • I love Pearl Jam. Well up for them at some point.

Agree they left grunge fairly early. For me their best album is probably the self titled from 2006
  • Are we sticking with all-encompassing Seattle grunge topic then, or should I separate the bands?
  • Your topic, your choice Moot. Release your inner dictator.
  • WE ARE DOING A PEARL JAM NOW. IT IS PEARL JAM DAY.
  • I love me some pearl jam and a lot of the grunge stuff, though mostly the acts that went more mainstream. Vs prob still my favourite PJ album, thought it was also the first one i really listened to and got me into them so it has that attachment too.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    PEARL JAM

Yes, good man.
    Roujin wrote:
    Ah yea baybee! I would love to recommend a Pearl Jam in here or a Soundgarden, or some Nirvana but imma go with this, because the chorus is heckin fun to yowl along to.

Very good shout.

Going to have to think on this one for pearl jam a bit. Good call from Dante on the best album. Although I think it's a toss between that one, vs and yield.
    SFV - reddave360
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Honestly don't think I could pick a PJ. I remember staying up through the night as a kid to record one of their gigs off Radio 1, to turn the cassette over and hit record again. Of course it was repeated during the day a few days later. Dammit.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Of course it was repeated during the day a few days later.

Yeah, but you had it first. You were there, man.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I made an inlay and everything. I wonder if its still in my box of cassettes. Hmm.
  • Ha, i was typing my post before the Pearl Jam announcement.

My fave Pearl Jam song is possibly Elderly Woman Behind The Counter in a Small Town. I have a weird things with rock bands where my fave track tends to be when they go all mellow. Possibly influenced by spending a lot of my youth with my musician mate, who after a few 'drinks' would bust out the acoustic guitar for same late night singalongs. Plus it's just the most ridiculous song title for a rock band.
  • Plus it's just the most ridiculous song title for a rock band

"hey foxymophandlemama" that's me by the same band says hi
    SFV - reddave360
  • that's 2nd ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!