The Superman Thread - can he be good
  • I seem to remember my brother picking up death of Superman.
    It came in a black bag with a blood red logo right?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I think the only Superman comics I ever actively bought were The Death of Superman ones back then. Hype, much.
    Didn't think they were particularly compelling tbh. Came off rather like a desperate gimmick to me.
    Do you remember the 4 guys who all came back pretending to be superman?

Vaguely. I didn’t hang around to see where it all went tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm guessing my first exposure to him would have been the Donner films, which I'm not a huge fan of. Yes, they're groundbreaking in that they made the superhero work on the big screen, but they really aren't great stood against Raiders and Star Wars, which were the relevant comparisons at the time.

What's quite weird is that I don't think Superman was that new to me, but I don't remember reading any Superman comics before the film. It's like I just knew the origin somehow.

Shout out to the Hatcher/Cain TV series, Cain seems to be a crazy right winger, but he's easily the best Superman for me.

I've got a Titan B&W collection of the stuff that Moore did, which has some great stuff in it, but the time when I was actually buying comics my memory of it is that it was the likes of George Perez and John Byrne, the sort of guys that you need to remember about when people ask how Rob Liefeld became such a big name. Decent technically, but old fashioned. That was DC at the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @g.man

Maybe it is longer ago than I thought! The Marvel comics I read were American and tended to be with one long story about the superhero or team. I can remember picking up the occasional Ghost Rider too.

I can definitely remember my brother getting a regular Spiderman comic when I got 2000AD. It had a Godzilla strip in it too. It probably had reprints of older stories from the original Marvels - maybe printed under licence....

EDIT: It was called The Spectacular Spiderman Weekly
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yes. The Spider-Man comic with Godzilla in it was several re-brands down the UK chain.
  • I used to watch the Hatcher/Cain series with my girlfriend at Uni.  We were quite openly only watching it for Hatcher (me) and Cain (her).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    I used to watch the Hatcher/Cain series with my girlfriend at Uni.  We were quite openly only watching it for Hatcher (me) and Cain (her).

That was a good old series that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only Superman film I properly enjoyed was the old Superman 2 with Reeve, Hackman, Stamp and Co.
  • Superman 4 almost does the full 'so awful its good trick.

There's too much dull spots but oh is it gloriously terrible.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The 3rd one was awful too. Even back then I gave up watching it. Fucking dreadful.

The first one was too slow with flying about gazing into Lane's eyes to be entertaining.  2 was the sweet spot.

There's quite a bit of talk about a different cut of 2 - something to do with a change of director? Not a rabbit hole I've gone down - but it may even extend into the first film.
  • NUCLEAR MAN oh dear me no.
  • Which is the Pryor one? That one is so bad it is fun. The rest, even the good at the time ones, aren't especially interesting these days.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Three. I recall as a kid everyone loved the Pryor stuff. Back then we didn’t know his more adult material.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye Pryor was the 3rd one. Fucking awful.
  • davyK wrote:
    The 3rd one was awful too. Even back then I gave up watching it. Fucking dreadful.

The first one was too slow with flying about gazing into Lane's eyes to be entertaining.  2 was the sweet spot.

There's quite a bit of talk about a different cut of 2 - something to do with a change of director? Not a rabbit hole I've gone down - but it may even extend into the first film.

Didn't they film 1 and 2 very close together and then Richard donner left before the second one was finished ? Something like that I think...
    SFV - reddave360
  • I like the one where he bones the bad lady when he’s a bad Superman and later, when he’s back to normal, she’s like “Hi honey” and he’s just like “yeah sorry wrong guy.”
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    The 3rd one was awful too. Even back then I gave up watching it. Fucking dreadful. The first one was too slow with flying about gazing into Lane's eyes to be entertaining.  2 was the sweet spot. There's quite a bit of talk about a different cut of 2 - something to do with a change of director? Not a rabbit hole I've gone down - but it may even extend into the first film.
    Didn't they film 1 and 2 very close together and then Richard donner left before the second one was finished ? Something like that I think...

Yeah - think that's it. The time travel bit was supposed to be in No. 2 originally.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What a soundtrack, eh?
  • Yup. Belter.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What might have been eh? Superman 2 is still a good old yarn though.

Williams can write a soundtrack that after a few years feels like it's been around forever. A real master of the art.

Reeve was born to play the part.
  • davyK wrote:
    What might have been eh?
    And here comes the inevitable Nicholas Cage chat.

• Dear Lord, we dodged a bullet when that was canned...

• I still want to see what could have been, car crash or not. Likewise that Forest Gump 2 screenplay.
  • He can't satisfy you with his little worm
    I can bash it all night with my super-sperm
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • You need a man, who's got finesse
    And his whole name across his chest
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK wrote:
    What might have been eh? Superman 2 is still a good old yarn though. Williams can write a soundtrack that after a few years feels like it's been around forever. A real master of the art.

Got Home Alone on at the moment, forgot that was Williams too.  Very Elfmanlike.
  • davyK wrote:
    Reeve was born to play the part.

He's the only one so far i think is convincing as both Clark and superman and manages to make it believable that people don't recognise him.
    The bit in the first film where he talks to Louis as Clark then 'turns' into superman to reveal himself before changing his mind and reverting to Clark is pure magic acting imo.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Truck stop diner scenes are teriffic in no.2. Don't pick on Superman because he'll galaxy brain your bullying.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    What might have been eh? Superman 2 is still a good old yarn though. Williams can write a soundtrack that after a few years feels like it's been around forever. A real master of the art.
    Got Home Alone on at the moment, forgot that was Williams too.  Very Elfmanlike.

If you have an interest in soundtracks check out the Art of the Score podcast. Some Aussie composers and music people discussing movie soundtracks. They've done the old Star Wars and the like. It's good fun. I really liked the one on The Little Mermaid as I didn't realise how each character's themes were threaded throughout.

http://www.artofthescore.com.au/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!