Game of the Year 2020 - The Last of Us 2 wins
  • Aye, thinking along similar lines to Reg, it wasn't a vintage year for me either. Two of my 5 are skateboarding games that brought me great joy though. That can be either a good thing or bad.

Might try type up something more fleshed out but I need to get YakLAD first.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Cyberpunk, Neon Abyss, Foregone, Doom Eternal and Hades are the 5 from this year so far
    A good list but eternal might end up being my most disappointing of the year. I stuck the original on my 2016 top 5, possibly number 1 or 2, and this one I've put 3 hours into and have no desire to go back to. It isn't on my worst of the year as it isn't a bad game at all, but there are about two or three elements that changed that were not for me at all.

Eternal trumps 2016 personally as its more tactical. The plot is gash but so is 2016s. Being made to use my entire arsenal then chainsaw to keep it going really helped the flow of combat for me, plus the more vertical traversal and hookshot.
  • Ended up playing a fair amount of Warzone which meant I didn't play as many other games. Although Warzone was released in March so does that count?

Final Fantasy 7 remake and THPS1+2 will be making the list. I imagine Cyberpunk will too.

Realised I haven't played last of us 2 or ghost of thingy... Might try and squeeze in last of us before new consoles
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Call of Duty: Warzone

(it's the only game i'ved played which came out this year which i really really liked.)

It's brilliant.

It was released in March 2020 (perfectly timed for lockdown.)
  • Yeah, warzone for me too.
  • The only game I have played all year is Destiny 2, but I would never recommend it to anyone.
  • Ghost of tsushima. (10)

This game seems very old school and is kinda but it's damn beautiful if you don't mind a few flat textures here and there, the lighting and physics are amazing.
    It doesn't have very much info on the screen so it's very clean too.
    And it's just so playable with easy to understand controlls that are easy to pick up and can be masters to make you feel like a pure boss.
    The biggest thing that jumped this to my number one spot is the FREE MULTIPLAYER CO-OP 2 player story missions of which there is 9 and with 3 difficult levels for each and 4 -4 player survival missions (basicly 4 player horde mode).
    It's great and possibly the best thing this year.
    (I can't stop playing it).

The last of us 2. (9)

This game is so good and it only doesn't make the number one spot because it's missing the factions multiplayer that kept me playing the first long after the story were done.
    Near perfect.
    (Factions multiplayer has been confirmed as coming but no date yet)

My 3rd choice were gonna be either mario oddysey (8) but that was last year I think or no man's sky (vr update).(9)
    Not sure if an update and dlc counts so il leave it to reg to decide but I will say that vr adds so much more to the game and it's probably the best supported game after launch and its a totally different and amazing multiplatform game now with great vr and multiplayer.

• Saving space for Cyberpunk.

Things I've bought this year from this year are I think..

Last of Us 2
    Animal Crossing: NH

Oh and Indy shit What Teh Golf - Shit and That Sega-ish arcade racer which also wasn't great.

I fully expect the new Assassins Creed to feature too if I dont get sucked into Cyberpunk.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bob wrote:
    Saving space for Cyberpunk.

Things I've bought this year from this year are I think..

Last of Us 2
    Animal Crossing: NH

Oh and Indy shit What Teh Golf - Shit and That Sega-ish arcade racer which also wasn't great.

I fully expect the new Assassins Creed to feature too if I dont get sucked into Cyberpunk.

I thought ass crud just looked exactly the same as oddysey but with a pallet swap to vikings.
    The one thing that stopped me finishing oddysey and makes me enjoy ghost more is the level gating on enemy's etc, no need for that bs anymore it's pish.
    Plus ubisoft are cunts!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tsushima will be the first game I play on my PS5
  • @digi: Mario Odyssey wasn’t last year. It wasn’t even the year before! It was (September) 2017.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @digi: Mario Odyssey wasn’t last year. It wasn’t even the year before! It was (September) 2017.

Sure was but bizarrely I also 999'd it this year. It would be my got if it could be.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I really need to finish TLOU2 at some point.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @digi: Mario Odyssey wasn’t last year. It wasn’t even the year before! It was (September) 2017.

Sure was but bizarrely I also 999'd it this year. It would be my got if it could be.

I'm so behind! :(

It's a great game, multiplayer is so addictive too.

@reg: what's the ruling on vr additions and updates (free ones) that make the game more than what it was intended. (No man's sky and about 8 updates including vr)
  • Reg is master of the worst. Moot is behind this one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I played SoR4 and Fall Guys for new releases this year, so those are my two.

I'd probably add Rez Infinite when I grab it on Quest but it feels cheeky.
  • digi wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    The one thing that stopped me finishing oddysey and makes me enjoy ghost more is the level gating on enemy's etc, no need for that bs anymore it's pish. Plus ubisoft are cunts!

They've done away with that.. which is a pity.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    digi wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

I'm so behind! :(

It's a great game, multiplayer is so addictive too.

@reg: what's the ruling on vr additions and updates (free ones) that make the game more than what it was intended. (No man's sky and about 8 updates including vr)
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Reg is master of the worst. Moot is behind this one.

Yep, this is nowt to do with me. If you want to talk garbage get in touch.
  • Vote for what you want if you genuinely think it should count Davie. My preferences are in the OP but it won't break the thread if one or two people vote for No Man's Sky or Layers of Fear VR or something.
  • Davie and uncle gonna fight over ghosts... Lol.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vote for what you want

FFS Moot, this is how you let anarchy in. Stay strong.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right, so mulling this over some more, approximate order of things I didn't actively dislike:

1 TLoU2
    2 Undermine
    3 HyperDot
    4 A Short Hike
    5 Ori 2
    6 Fall Guys
    7 Journey to the Savage Planet
    8 Tell Me Why
    9 Neon Abyss
    10 Carrion
    11 Flight Simulator
    12 Touryst
    13 Hades
    14 Hotshot Racing

TBC (cos not yet played, but likely to fare well): FF7R, Demon's Souls, Vigil, Last Campfire, Spidey, Tsushima, Alyx, Spelunky 2, Desperados III
  • The winner is obviously the Hawkman.
  • Oh, a short hike is lovely. I reckon that will be in my list, still a lot to come though
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Short Hike was last year?
  • Switch was this year
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Ah, ok.

Harrier Attack on 464 gets one of my votes then.
  • That's quite enough
  • I have a top 1, because only played one game released this year.

1. NFS Heat 2020

I would add Doom Eternal to the list, but waiting on syph79 to send it (hint hint).

Bob, can i get NFS back please?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!