Genres you've literally never played....
  • Facewon wrote:
    Dating sim is one I've never done. I did do doa beach volleyball though, so yeah.
    Yeah I've not played either of those.

Basically nothing Japanese creepy. That includes Genshin Impact.

Perverts.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Jesus Davy what do you actually play?

Heh.

Anything arcade-ey that provides s 30min kick.

2D Shmups mainly now to be honest. Cave bullet hell in particular.

Bit of Mario Kart, Sonic Racing Transformed, Trials HD, Daytona, F-Zero, Sega Rally. Love a bit of arcade time trial.

Like Cuphead - need to go back to that - at 50%.

Tetris and some other puzzle games like Bust A Move (in BAM I like to try and clear the puzzle mode on 1 credit)

I like a bit of videogame pinball too.

Also love local MP with the daughters - so any silly game like that. Any old thing will do as long as it is pick up and play - the Wii's back catalogue still meets that requirement.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Does Persona fall under dating sim?!  I call it a JRPG-social-sim, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't say I have touched anything remotely like a dating sim.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah Elf is a perv
    Spoiler:
  • I've probably given just about everything a go (yeah apart from dating sims). I guess I could say hunting games. There's that fairly new one that's on Game Pass that looks like an absolutely beautiful wilderness but I have no desire to explore it and shoot animals. I think I mentioned before that a nature photography game with a similar setting would be really nice.
  • Davy, don’t ever get and grab League thinking it’s a Gauntlet-ish game, it’s a MOBA. Diablo is also sort of its own thing really, not a huge distance from Gauntlet but Diablo style games are a huge thing on their own, almost a genre really.

As for me, I dunno. Digital boardgames like Hearts of Iron IV, all those hex and counter wargames - think they’re very hardcore and niche and I don’t really have the brains for them, plus they’re every dry. Kind of interested in Zachtronics stab at the genre though: Möbius Front ‘83, think it also on Steam.

Beyond that, I think the main genre I don’t bother with is Sports management sims, never been affected to the real life stuff so never bothered with it in games. Blood Bowl comes close I guess, but it’s filtered through a tabletop system designed for playing with people so it doesn’t count for me.

Also vehicle sim games - Train sim, Flight sim, Asseto Corsa etc. Not really my bag as again, no interest in the real life thing being replicated.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Never played a MOBA. Or an American football game. Or basketball for that matter.
  • What is Papers Please?
    I haven't played that and feel it is either its own genre or one I havent played.

Seriously I have played most things. You load up enough Amiga Format Demo discs as a curious 7 year old, you've probably played most things
  • I think flight sim could be an exception, because it can be appreciated on a surface level of looks, but I'd certainly not recommend anyone try it outside of Gamepass if it doesn't already appeal. Its also much less playing and much more then a technical showcase.

I'm curious about the train/truck simulators, despite having no interest in the real life thing, but thats more of a 'but what actually is it" kind of thing.
  • Watched a good gmtk on zachtronics stuff.

Only thing I've played that is close would be one of those bridge builder things or soda back in the day.

Only ever done sports management stuff in games that are primarily regular sports aims. 2k etc.

VR really doesn't interest me, so anything VR at the moment.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What is Papers Please?
    I haven't played that and feel it is either its own genre or one I havent played.

I have played it, and I honestly couldn't really say.

Paperwork inspection visual novel?
  • Facewon wrote:
    Watched a good gmtk on zachtronics stuff.

Only thing I've played that is close would be one of those bridge builder things or soda back in the day.

They don’t really have a set genre though, order operations games, be they 2D or 3D, coding sims, tactics... brainy is the only real linking factor.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't think I've ever played a JRPG.
  • Yeah me neither. I guess RPG's in general as I dont really understand the allure (or the concept if I'm being totally honest) of turnbased combat.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • JonB wrote:
    Pretty much anything online - MMO, Battle Royale, etc.

Awww man, you are missing so much!

• I did play Monster Hunter online a bit. But, you know, I didn't start playing games when I was a kid so I could interact with other people!

I suppose I would also add to the list hunting, survival or any kind of work sim (flight, farming, whatever).
  • MMO's, MOBA's, survival games, Battle Royales, dancing games, 3D 'Soulslikes', farming/work sims, dating sims (unless Florence counts).

Not genres, but I haven't gone in for anything free to play (unless Rocket League now counts) or in Beta/early access (other than a quick session on Grounded, which I guess counts as survival too?). Not played a New Game + ether.
  • I think MOBA is the only one I've never played, even then I think I played about 20 mins of League years ago when it was on the rise. Give anything a go I will.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I've never played a MOBA. just doesn't interest me.

Genres I tried and will not go back to :

Real time strategy
    Football games
    Online shooter such as CoD (too old and reflexes/patience too low)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I used to love small arena shooters online.  Quake 3 and some Halo 2 maps.  Since then the big hitters haven't appealed, but I expect there's some up close rumble stuff out there if I could be bothered to look properly.  I've probably played online games an average of once or twice a year this last gen, other than co-op SNES/NES games with retroking.    

Some genres I previously hated have won me over - notably metroidvania games, now a firm favourite - and Blasphemous has nudged me closer to considering a Bloodborne type.  RTS doesn't really appeal but I did love Command and Conquer when I rented it on Saturn, and got through Halo Wars 2 a couple of years ago.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Davy, don’t ever get and grab League thinking it’s a Gauntlet-ish game, it’s a MOBA. Diablo is also sort of its own thing really, not a huge distance from Gauntlet but Diablo style games are a huge thing on their own, almost a genre really.

Cheers for that but I don't think there's much danger of me dipping anyhow. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Turn based combat is an enormous turn off for me, but like with most games I don't like, I can understand why some people like them. I tried Hybrid Heaven on N64 many moons ago and it had turn based combat but it also involve real time moving so your position relative to your opponent was relevant to the move you selected - I thought it was an interesting variation on that.

Anyhow - didn't play it much - an hour or so of running into something that stopped me progressing I knocked it on the head.

If someone did a Laurel & Hardy game with turn-based combat I'd be up for that as that's what they did in their comedies. :)
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Turn based combat.

1bhKPFX.gif
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Though I've also basically given up on FPS in general - I keep trying stuff that folk say is good but they're always wrong.
    just wanted to agree with this! ;)

In terms of genres literally never played, then you're prob just looking at very obscure niche things like dating etc. (even shit like that though i'd prob class as an rpg or whatever based on the mechanics).
    but if we're talking genres that have been tried and either never liked or gone right off...then you can probably list nearly all of them for me now! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Amusing that this thread has revealed that despite being members of a gaming forum for fifteen years, nobody here has actually played any games...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • We all probably own just Xbox Ones, that's why.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've never played an MMORPG or a MOBA game. Thats about it, otherwise i can think of renting snes games from blockbuster video in the 90's which would cover almost ever other genre. I was really trying to think of a sport which i've not played but I think I can't even do that now i've played mario and sonic 2020. 

Perhaps this is the space that someone who does play a game in a genre "you"'ve said no to could recommend one for you to try in the new year.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Wouldn’t recommend a MOBA to anyone who doesn’t have 5 very good pals, but I punted 500 hours into DOTA2 for a reason. I’d go back if I had the energy to learn all the new stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!