The Christmas Movie
‹ Previous123
  • The last 2 years my wife and I have started the tradition of watching a bunch of movies over Christmas,  usually with some form of theme linking them. The first year it was Christmas themed action movies (basically shane black filmography and die hard) , the second year was more traditional stuff but mostly kids movies (failed attempt to get our daughter into movies). This year we are going Xmas 80s but it got me thinking what is peoples definitive Christmas movie.

Want to keep this easy going so no major rules.  If enough answers are given i might do a list or even ranking at the end. It doesn't need to be a Xmas movie as such, and it can be a movie series but something that either is basically a tradition in your house at Christmas or a film that makes you think of Christmas. But as said, nobstrict rules. Id you want to put gorilla movies as your choice have at it. Just maybe explain why.

We might have done this before but I can't remember and couldn't find a thread.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Arthur Christmas probably.
  • We saw Gremilns yesterday and my kids are 6 and 9, we ignored the 12 rating as it was ok and nothing to worry about - how wrong we were. We both forgot about the blending, microwaving and numerous deaths the Gremlins had so we had to skip bits. Bad parents!!
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Jingle All the Way for me.
  • Rouj's Good Time Xmas Watch List:

Scrooged
    Muppets Xmas Carol
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    Elf
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Alistair Sim version of Scrooge is still definitive for me though the George C Scott version is splendid, as is Albert Finney's turn in the musical version. The story is one of my favourites...a redemption tale..my favourite genre set at Christmas which is my favourite time of year.

Fanny & Alexander is by far the most accessible of Ingmar Bergman's work. He directed this late in life. The first hour of the lengthy piece is a lavish Christmas party in the European tradition but it's well worth staying around for the rest. Its story is Dickensian and is part melodrama, part ghost story. It's a masterpiece.

Eye's Wide Shut probably doesn't feature on folks' radar as a Christmas film but it's set at that time and is used to make for some sumptuous sets.

Elf is probably my favourite modern themed film. Equally funny and heart warming. James Cann and the supporting cast are great right down to the smallest part.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Arthur Christmas probably.

An excellent film.
  • Arthur Christmas is scheduled for next Saturday's Christmas Movie Night.  Last night was the not actually dreadful Christmas Chronicle, although that's largely down to Kurt Russel going full Kurt Russell.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Avoid Christmas Chronicle 2.
  • We watched Elf on Saturday after getting the Tree. Will be Home Alone soon, then maybe Christmas Cronicles
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Scrooged and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation are absolute musts in our house.  They don’t make ‘em like they used to.
    Get schwifty.
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Stone cold classic and the only one that has ever become a deliberate tradition in my family.

Home Alone, Elf and Muppets will end up being watched as well but less of a big deal is made of them.
  • Avoid Christmas Chronicle 2.
    That's not going to be an option, unfortunately.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Avoid Christmas Chronicle 2.

That's not going to be an option, unfortunately.
    Aye, it's not as good.

Christmas Chronicle starts out like a proper Christmas classic in the making and then loses it. Worthy all the same.

• We have Family Friday Film Nights which have been focused on working through the Marvel Universe in order. However we have stopped that to have Christmas films over the next month.

It began with Christmas Chronicles 2 which was such a disappointment. I really, really liked the first and whilst Kurt Russell is still an excellent Santa, the film was just awful. It’s a shame as there were moments where you saw what it could have been (the almost kid friendly gremlins style elves).

For me the top Christmas films are Muppets Christmas Carol (our traditional Christmas Eve film) and The Nightmare Before Christmas, although that raises many questions about whether it is a Christmas or Halloween film (Christmas for me...).
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Home alone 1 and 2
    Elf
    Arthur Christmas
    Die hard

That would be my chrimbo play list covered
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Weirdly the film that makes me feel the most Christmassy is Yellow Submarine - purely because my parents would sit me down to watch it every Christmas Eve.  (They would deliberately time it such that it would coincide with Santa coming down our street with sweets - so round about Northern Song we'd all rush out, grab sweets, then rush back to watch the rest.)  So whilst it has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, it always give me that warm rush of nostalgia, in a way no actual Christmas film has ever done. 

With respect to proper Christmas movies...  Every Christmas Eve my wife takes the kids to watch It's A Wonderful Life at the cinema round the corner (I'm usually at work).  So I guess that's their entirely more Christmassy Yellow Submarine.  (I think I've said previously that before this tradition started I had persuaded them it was a musical by repeatedly singing the entirely made up "It's a Wonderful Life song" at them.  The song still gets a reprise whenever the film is mentioned.)

Otherwise, having re-watched it a few times in the last couple of years, it's Gremlins.  I love Gremlins.
  • Why not both?

Seconded - works well at either time.

Haven't seen Arthur Christmas yet but have heard so much good stuff about it. 

For me, its a wonderful life was a definite each year until the child came along. Now we are just trying to find films which she enjoys (for a child of 2 parents who both love movies, she is not following the plan) 

Muppets has been the winner so far. Frozen (while not a Christmas movie) also gets a nod, especially the Christmas short.

Kinda surprised no-one has mentioned something like a Bond or Star Wars movie - they used to be such a christmas thing back in the day but I guess the streaming services mean thats not such an issue.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Home Alone is watched every year in my house on Christmas Eve.

Bernard and the Genie is my personal fave but only being available on a ropey YouTube feed means my kids complain about the ‘bad graphics’.

Muppets Christmas Carol.

Scrooged.

The Office Christmas double header watched as a feature length is just about the most perfectly judged show I’ve ever seen.

The kids introduced me to Nativity which has gone from turgid to delightful just through sheer brute force of times played.

Planes, Trains, Automobiles.  Whether its Christmas or not doesn’t matter to me as I don't celebrate thanksgiving so i associate it with this time of year which is good enough.
  • Elf, Polar Express and Bad Santa can all go in the bin.
  • Why not both?

Exceptional point and 100% accurate.

I think I lean slightly towards Christmas as I teach it as a Christmas Literacy Unit every year. I feel I am introducing new generations to the genius of the film.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • My view has always been that it was both by design, a cynical ploy to rinse both markets.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Watch list has expanded and is now:

The nightmare before Christmas
    The Grinch (both versions)
    Arthur Christmas
    Scrooged
    Scrooge (1950s version)
    Muppets Christmas Carol
    It's a wonderful life
    Elf
    Home Alone
    Planes Trains and Automobiles
    Santa Claus the movie
    Klaus
    Christmas Chronicles (1 and 2)
    Angela's Christmas
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    Charlie Brown's Christmas
    Possibly Gremlins, but the missus is still scared of them.

I also haven't been able to locate Bernard and the Genie which is a shame because it's ace.

The best thing is that the wee one's now old enough to enjoy more of them.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • If we're talking Christmas stuff that makes us burst with nostalgia we used to tune in to The Snowman every Christmas without fail.  No other film or programme has the same effect on me, especially the version with the Bowie intro. where he still has the scarf.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    If we're talking Christmas stuff that makes us burst with nostalgia we used to tune in to The Snowman every Christmas without fail.  No other film or programme has the same effect on me, especially the version with the Bowie intro. where he still has the scarf.

I have watched that every single Christmas for as long as I can remember.  It’s a lovely thing.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm hoping to continue the tradition now that E is old enough for the ending to fuck her right up.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It gets me every time.
    Get schwifty.
  • It was on this afternoon.
    The full Briggs trilogy of Father Christmas, Snowman and Snowman & The Snowdog.

Father Christmas remains bloomin marvelous.
  • I despise The Snowman and I can’t quite put my finger on why.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is ground hog day a Christmas movie?
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!