I Fucking Rate This Bit
‹ Previous12345
  • Half Life 2. A mechanical arm picks you up and propels you towards your fate. As it does, you look around as many dozens of the hardest enemies in the game stream past, and in the horizon there is an apparently inexhaustible supply of them. It's not a fight, all of a sudden, it's a procession for the Combine. One of the wowest moments in gaming.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • At the end of Double Dragon in the arcade when you realise for the first time that you've got to then fight your mate in 2 player for the girl.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plagiarism!
  • The Sasau Monastery section of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It really opened my eyes to how games can put you in someone else's shoes and give you an appreciation and empathy for their life experience, if only briefly. Just a totally fantastic bit.
  • Kow wrote:
    Plagiarism!

Doing the opposite is not copying. Back in your barn, kow

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Final fight in FFVII. Sephiroth descending, seemingly from the heavens, to THAT tune. Amazeballs feelings.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Riding roach to Novigrad for the first time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Sasau Monastery section of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It really opened my eyes to how games can put you in someone else's shoes and give you an appreciation and empathy for their life experience, if only briefly. Just a totally fantastic bit.

I sacked that off because it wasn't in the best nick on OG Bone at launch. Must be sorted by now, and the Series X should make it purdy, cheers for the reminder
  • Dont think these quite fit the topic as they are more organic than planned but had to say them as they were the first things to jump into my mind.

When you hit that sweet spot of combination with cards and relics in slay the spire and you know you are about to go on an insane damage run. 

When you hit "the zone" in a game and you arent really following things anymore and your hands seem to take over - for me its games like Geometry Wars 2, Guitar Hero and Burnout 2 (when you just kept chaining burnouts round a track) but obviously thats a bit different for everyone.

In terms of "planned" game bits, I'd nominate the very first time you do the Warthog run at the end of Halo. Its a rare situation where a game switches things up for the last level but has been prepping you for it earlier in the game.  Great music, Great (at the time visuals) and a real proper finish to a great game. Loved it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Any fighting game where you get to parry someone and then give them the business. That feeling cannot be beat.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Midnight Resistance in the arcade, when you finish a level and get to the warehouse. Alarm is blazing a voice says "Pick a weapon". They are there in the cases with number of keys below to unlock them. You jump up and unlock a weapon, in this case the 3 way gun. The voice says "3 way" alarm is blazing and you continue out of the warehouse onto the next level.

There was something so awesome about that in the arcade.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Any fighting game where you get to parry someone and then give them the business. That feeling cannot be beat.

This.

Also getting a perfect clear on any level in Point Blank or Rhythm Heaven.
  • The Sasau Monastery section of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It really opened my eyes to how games can put you in someone else's shoes and give you an appreciation and empathy for their life experience, if only briefly. Just a totally fantastic bit.
    I sacked that off because it wasn't in the best nick on OG Bone at launch. Must be sorted by now, and the Series X should make it purdy, cheers for the reminder

Yeah I played it on PC last year, it was pretty solid. Running on a fast SSD seems to make a big difference. The game has plenty of rough edges and things that will trip you up, but it's well worth perservering with. Be sure to take all the combat training from that dude outside the town, otherwise you can't do ripostes and stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's on my list of games to get back into once I get a new graphics card. It's a long list, mind you.
  • Speaking of Halo, most of the games in the series have some great bits. Like at the end of one Halo 2 mission where you come to a room full of brutes and elites duking it out, Cortana says "you might wanna sit this one out..." and the rock/metal music kicks in. It's even more awesome and fun if you bring along a marine with a fuel rod cannon to oversee the proceedings..
  • -Ending of Red Dead Redemption. Loved how that played out.
    Spoiler:

-Gun mixing mechanics in Gunstar Heroes. So simple but so satisfying.

-Drifting in Outrun

-Coming across the Flood for the first time in Halo. I was nervous.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    BotW is chock full of these. That walk up to the viewpoint from the claustrophobic tomb was spoiled in all the pre release stuff, and is hardly original in gaming anyway, but it was still very well done and set a great time for the adventure ahead of you. Epiphany moments when you try a thing and it works, both intentional stuff from the devs and things like completing a shrine by "cheating". I'm not going to spoil some of my other favorite bits, because stumbling onto them yourself is a big part of the magic and sum up a lot of what this game, and open world games in general, deliver.

RDR2. Some well done story shit, great characterisation, etc, those bits where the right music kicks in at just the right time, you get all that. But the way it goes right into the little details grounds you in its world like nothing else. I can't say I noticed my horse's bollocks shrinking up against the cold, so much of it might be superfluous to many, but I sure as shit appreciated the ability to clean, feed and pet him, forming a bond to last the whole game. Sure there are other horses, faster, more stamina or whatever, but they're not my horse, and that's what's important.

Taking care of Arthur is the same. Sure, I could eat the tinned food, or the stale biscuits I found in that abandoned house days ago, and it'll do the job, fill the meters and what have you. But why not treat yourself? A nice piece of venison over the camp fire, a nip of whisky to warm you up as you gaze at the stars. Make sure to pitch a tent, it might rain overnight and no one wants to wake up at 3am soaked through. Been a while since we've gone into town, and we've got a lot of stuff to sell, could do with a trim and a shave, and why not treat myself to a proper warm bath while I'm here? Fuck it, I'm feeling good, I'll get myself a new shirt. For the look and feel you see, stat boosts are irrelevant. Immersion levels are off the charts, imagine folk thinking Cyberpunk is an immersive experience when this fucking game exists?
  • Control - ashtray maze.

Such a cool moment.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Eric wrote:
    Coming across the Flood for the first time in Halo. I was nervous.

That first section was epic.
  • The facility in Titanfall 2 where you get the time jump device. It blew my tiny little mind and I hope we see evolution of it as an idea with proper SSD tech. Its even better on replay because you know how to work it. You can decimate whole rooms of both troops and rogue robots. There is the brilliant obstacle course at the end which is almost mario like in the way you use the phase shift and finally that awesome moment at the end where everything is frozen...

Could nearly put all of Titanfall 2 in there.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You are treading on some mighty thin ice here.

That scene man.
  • Game play wise I'd go with rouj and reg. Just to riff on that a little - dipping in and out of the ink to flank enemies in spitting distance of you in splatoon 2 and wiping a group out is pretty fuckin cool.
  • Agree with everything posted about RDR2 above. I too would frequently get a nice meal when passing through town because, why not? Amazing game. We were talking about the R* crunch at work last week, and for sure it's bad, I just hope that everyone who did that crunch knows there are folks out there who utterly fell in love with the game. Was the crunch/pain worth it, the impact on mental health? I wouldn't ask a team to do that. I do hope though that the hard working folks on the team know and at least are pleased to a degree that their work has had such an impact on people like me, and youse.

+also RedDave's zone comment, I get that from IIDX (or atm DJMax, anyway). Give me a slap-chord pattern or some 16th scales, or some chord walls and before I know it I realise I haven't blinked for 2 minutes.
  • In fact in RDR2 I think I only used fast travel when forced to for story, maybe one other time, maybe. Other than that, I was happy to ride ol' Chester from place to place, take in the sights.
  • Mass Effect 3 Geff Server mission.
    Just a great fun and creative idea which let the artists stretch their legs.

Mass Effect 3 Morden and the genophage.
    I dont want to write more with the remake around the corner for fear of spoilers. If you know you know.

God of War 3 opening stage.
    The scale. The pissing scale! This really showed of the PS3 well. The series stretched the PS2 to its limits so having this right of the bat felt like a statement.

Bioshock entering Rapture.
    Well documented. Regardless of the rest of the game Rapture remains one of the best realised gaming worlds.

Batman Arkham Asylum Scarecrow missions.
    Particularly the one that makes it look like your game crashed and restarts from the beginning but with Bats in the Joker's position.

KOTOR Revan reveal.

Fallout 3 Vault 112

Edit: I could do Mass Effect moments all day.

• That bit in any rhythm game where a part that previously you could in no way do at all, just couldn't make out the garbage pattern on screen, a mess of blocks in a seemingly random, nonsense order, suddenly you... just do it. Like your brain has worked it out, your fingers act independently from thought and, it just happens. You can hold a conversation whilst doing it.
  • Back to a Halo moment but this was more organic (although I'm sure loads did it)

I think it was Halo 3 where the Scarab is a much more mobile vehicle (if I remember right there is one in Halo 2 but its pretty much just part of the level design). Anyway, back to Halo 3, I remember there is one gunfight where you have a ghost and there is a bit of scenery that looks like a ramp and I remember thinking "Would be awesome if I could leap up into the Scarrabs hanger with the ghost and shoot everyone". Turns out you could and I did - one of my best Halo moments. Felt like such a hero.

One other good one was back in the first game there is a bit I think near the end where an Elite jumps out of nowhere at you. I quickly chucked a sticky on him and that was that. One of those moments where a cut scene wouldn't have been as good. In my rose tinted memories I also said something cool like "stick around" in an Austrian accent ...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bestest thing ever is Journey final ascension with Apotheosis (?) playing. Ever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Bestest thing ever is Journey final ascension with Apotheosis (?) playing. Ever.

Sorry this thread is for games.
  • Ooh, Revan is a great shout.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Agree with everything posted about RDR2 above. I too would frequently get a nice meal when passing through town because, why not? Amazing game. We were talking about the R* crunch at work last week, and for sure it's bad, I just hope that everyone who did that crunch knows there are folks out there who utterly fell in love with the game. Was the crunch/pain worth it, the impact on mental health? I wouldn't ask a team to do that. I do hope though that the hard working folks on the team know and at least are pleased to a degree that their work has had such an impact on people like me, and youse.

+also RedDave's zone comment, I get that from IIDX (or atm DJMax, anyway). Give me a slap-chord pattern or some 16th scales, or some chord walls and before I know it I realise I haven't blinked for 2 minutes.

On crunch, na. Not worth it at all, and I've just laid out how much I loved those details. I doubt people who suffered mental health issues will take any comfort from knowing I like the game a lot. There's definitely going to be a lot of graft involved in making that type of vision a reality, but in no way is crunch a necessary part of the process. Plan it out properly, manage it throughout, resource up if you need to, delay if you have to. Same end result, no crunch.

I think crunch is more of an accepted cultural thing within the industry than it is a necessary part of making the games. I've never made one like, so very much a reckon here, but it smacks of this thing we're seeing at the minute where bosses are demanding that the drones have to be in the office when their job can be done from home without making any impact on productivity. They feel like they have to take risks and make everyone's life a bit shitter for no discernable benefit just because that's what we're used to. Baffling. A few accepted norms like this need to be broken forever. There's always going to be some who thrive on that way of working mind, as there will be those who love to be in the office environment now, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone or taken for granted
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!