Rick, Coral and Lucille - Danger, dead inside. And spoilers.
  • I've not seen a The Walking Dead thread, apologies if one exists.
    I have to say Im so impressed with TWD so far. I just finished season 9 last night. Fuck what a ride.
    I started watching a couple of years back and the first few seasons were fine. I got to season 4 and just tailed off. I didn't watch it again until I got Prime a few months ago. Myself and my wife don't have a huge overlap of tv shows to watch together so we said we would give it one more try. It REALLY picks up late into  season 4. 
    What impressed me most was the behaviour of the characters overall. There are of course exceptions but in general, characters acted true to themselves and in a mostly logical fashion. They don't do stupid things just to advance the plot or do a Poe Dameron in TLJ just because the story needs them to change.
    Events build over time to shape a person's behavior and view of the world in a logical, pleasing manner and they dont just be the goodie for the sake of it.
    Spoiler:
    The emotional stuff also is quite well handled IMO. Most character deaths have proper impact, anyone can be killed off at any time. It handles this super well.
    Spoiler:
    Im not saying its a perfect show, there are plenty of plot holes, unbelievable coincidences and last-second saves. But the world's logic plays out fairly consistently in general and the main characters generally act in a sensible, believable manner. And that is a great achievement IMO. 

Lastly, I want to mention the diversity in this show. Im not normally one to mention this sort of thing but its done brilliantly IMO. Im comparing this to the likes of TLJ and Star Trek Discovery.
    In TWD everyone is in the same boat, its living versus the dead. It doesnt feel forced or like its a box ticking exercise. Sex, race, sexual preference, none of it is an issue. Its just people getting on with shit.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I gave up the season that dude twatted people on the head with a baseball bat. No idea what happen after that or who is still alive.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Worst fucking series ever. Steadily declined after episode 1. Gave up around series 5 as it became unwatchable. Whole episodes of thoroughly uninteresting characters having thoroughly uninteresting discussions with each other. Hated all the characters without exception and rooted for the zombies.
  • Could not disagree more with you about the behaviours of the characters - their sheer stupidity and lack of consistent decision making was one of the main reasons I stopped watching. Things happened for no discernable reason other than to push what little plot there was forward and the show just recycled an endless loop of "NEW THREAT-NEW THREAT-NEW THREAT... INSANE ILLOGICAL DECISION... FINAL CONFRONTATION... OVERCOME!"

Utter bollocks.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • lol I know Im in the minority, most people I know also stopped with the head boshing. As I said though, or maybe not clearly enough, this is all relative. I was basing my comparisons against Star Trek Discovery which I found just complete bullshit from start to finish. Here in TWD, its still all massively contrived etc but it feels like Shakespeare in comparison. 
    I can see the progression in relationships etc.
  • I enjoyed the first few seasons, but stopped watching when that big (Japanese?) dude managed to cut a load of zombies in half with a huge scythe, but then had trouble getting through a chain link gate with some little padlock on it.
  • I've watched it all and I dont think it's shit at all but it's lost it's charm and they find it harder and harder to suprise any longer. 

The main problem was that the cast got too big. People didn't get enough screen time to care about them and then they did others would be neglected for ages. 

This really hits home when you're watching it week by week. It got to the point when I couldn't remember who lived at the hilltop, the other place and the other place. or even why.. presumably space? 
    Spoiler:
    It would be really cool if they did maps to show things better, almost to show the military/raid/fight stuff more. Or even to show scavenging runs. I'm picturing the sort of 5 second clip where indiana jones flies around the world and you see the dots going from a to b type thing but on a smaller scale. I lose all sense of scale with the show which annoys me (no idea why). 

Eugene is a brilliant character and should be used alot more. I know he's got his sideline thing on at the moment but he's the one person rightly or wrongly who I always seem think "what's he up to while this is going on". 

Maggie was also outstanding. Top tier. They need to bring Negan back into the fold again as he's also top tier. 

Carol is another good one, they've used her and Daryl well in the show up to now I'd say. 

I'm pretty sure they are aware that there are helicopters right? (or am i getting that mixed up with fear the walking dead) so why aren't they addressing that? The show needs to go in that direction imo. 

Which brings me on to fear the walking dead, which, imo, is now better than TWD. I prefer the characters, story lines and things just happen a bit quicker. I love the crossover with morgan too. If you've not seen it, the first series is a bit meh, those characters are a bit boring but it really picks up. The cast now is almost completely differnent and better for it.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Started getting bored of it when Neagen? fella turned up with the bat. Just got too silly.
  • Gave up at season 4 and not sure what episode,
    Season 1 episode 1 was great and full of promise then it was all downhill from there.

Just boring in general.

(It's no black sails or Vikings)
  • mk64 wrote:
    I've watched it all and I dont think it's shit at all but it's lost it's charm and they find it harder and harder to suprise any longer.  The main problem was that the cast got too big. People didn't get enough screen time to care about them and then they did others would be neglected for ages.  This really hits home when you're watching it week by week. It got to the point when I couldn't remember who lived at the hilltop, the other place and the other place. or even why.. presumably space? 
    Spoiler:
    It would be really cool if they did maps to show things better, almost to show the military/raid/fight stuff more. Or even to show scavenging runs. I'm picturing the sort of 5 second clip where indiana jones flies around the world and you see the dots going from a to b type thing but on a smaller scale. I lose all sense of scale with the show which annoys me (no idea why).  Eugene is a brilliant character and should be used alot more. I know he's got his sideline thing on at the moment but he's the one person rightly or wrongly who I always seem think "what's he up to while this is going on".  Maggie was also outstanding. Top tier. They need to bring Negan back into the fold again as he's also top tier.  Carol is another good one, they've used her and Daryl well in the show up to now I'd say.  I'm pretty sure they are aware that there are helicopters right? (or am i getting that mixed up with fear the walking dead) so why aren't they addressing that? The show needs to go in that direction imo.  Which brings me on to fear the walking dead, which, imo, is now better than TWD. I prefer the characters, story lines and things just happen a bit quicker. I love the crossover with morgan too. If you've not seen it, the first series is a bit meh, those characters are a bit boring but it really picks up. The cast now is almost completely differnent and better for it.
    I binge watched this and that has to be the only way to see it. I could not imagine watching this week by week especially considering the season structure:
    Week 1, have some big cliffhanger reveal at the end of the episode.
    Week 2, move to a different story.
    Week 3, go back to week 1 cliffhanger.
    Id go nuts watching it like that. 

There are some great characters, Daryl, Abraham, Carol(what a beast), Rick,Michonne, Jesus (RIP). Even Negan I quite enjoy. Dwight was great too. 
    The helicopter.....I dont know how far you watched but there is a FUCKINg WTF scene with a helicopter. We will find out more in Rick's movie being shot this year.
  • I stand by the theory that any tv show does its best work within a 4-5 season arc. Then it should end. After that they are making shit up as they go along just because there is a loyal fan base. This show should have ended years ago.

Glad your enjoying it superflyninja, but it is a overrated show in my opinion. Is the spin off walking dead show still going?
  • There’s two spin offs now, some kids thing I’ve never seen plus FTWD. Stopped watching Fear at an episode where two women chased each other around a helicopter trying to kill each other and then kissed, fuck knows why. Really shit.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I stand by the theory that any tv show does its best work within a 4-5 season arc. Then it should end. After that they are making shit up as they go along just because there is a loyal fan base. This show should have ended years ago. Glad your enjoying it superflyninja, but it is a overrated show in my opinion. Is the spin off walking dead show still going?
    Ive no idea about the overrated-ness of the show, its not something I had ever followed. But I will say, the best for me has come AFTER series 4. 
    Ive found the progression to make sense, its starts with individual survivors and it works up to the new settlements and warfare. I really quite like it overall. 

AFAIK there are 5 seasons of Fear with another coming. Also a second spin off series is out on Amazon Prime. Cant remember the name.
  • You know it's gone bad when you start rooting for the zombies
  • Out of interest what is it in particular that has gone bad for you guys in TWD? 
    The Kingdom very nearly did it for me. But Ive grown to quite like Ezekiel and Jerry!
  • Ninja I’ve watched all of it. Just couldn’t remember if the Rick helicopter bit was the only bit. Ftwd has more heading that direction
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Teachers season 1 to 3 is the best Walking Dead.
  • Heh. Watched the first 2 episodes of season 10. Those Whisperers are pure shite.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!