FPS - is the world going to shit
  • There's a ton of PC only stuff, its whether it caters to your taste. RTS and simulation are the two main ones. Tons of indies.

PC is king but if you're happy with console output and aren't arsed about m&k there's little point.

I played Crysis on my PC with a xbox 360 controller. Much more relaxing than M&K.
  • There's a few videos showing that the best accuracy is actual gyro if it's done really well. I prefer controller myself but only because its familiar and therefore comfortable. I didn't like doom eternal but I'd well believe its much more suited to m&k.

Back to violence - I don't think my issue is about the violence being harmful to kids, I just find in many shooters its ott to the point of losing any impact. Regarding kids seeing it, again probably not a major issue and media use it for click bait more than necessary and many of us saw violence but there is a sliding scale between the cartoon violence of some 80s 18 cert stuff and proper cruel gore in other movies. I got to see predator as a kid but I'm pretty certain something like cannibal holocaust wouldn't have gotten my dada approval.
    (There's a point to be made that maybe the fantasy style violence of a film like predator is worse for a kid to see as it glorifies rather than horifies)

But also my daughter loves games and likes to watch me play. Some games are fine and others I can't put on simply because of the unnecessary visual and audio content. I just see that as a pity because it limits the audience potential.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is Gunfire Reborn pc only?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well I've committed myself to learning M&K now but fuck me I'm struggling. How do you not hit the wrong buttons without looking down constantly?

Smear some jam on them and let the stickiness guide you.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Well I've committed myself to learning M&K now but fuck me I'm struggling. How do you not hit the wrong buttons without looking down constantly?

You have to stop giving this advice out - my last laptop is an ant-covered mess.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Twin stick control became a huge barrier to me enjoying an FPS.

The Wii's FPS control scheme was rather good and I found that very accessible - I though that was a "new way" but that's gone now.

I have tried M&K and found it opened the genre up to me (played that way a bit on Dreamcast Quake and Outtrigger). But I've never been heavily enough into it or into PC gaming enough to obtain a good PC setup to enjoy them. I have enough other genre interests so I don't miss it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Well I've committed myself to learning M&K now but fuck me I'm struggling. How do you not hit the wrong buttons without looking down constantly? I thought as a gaming laptop the WASD keys might have a different texture or something but no. Will most default control layouts in games be okay or is there some custom tweaks to help me out?

Takes time. I've been using it for 6 months and still hit the wrong keys. First time I held a pad was probably a mess too.
  • I'm definitely getting a feel for it, but when you throw in all the other keys for everything else I get a mini aneurysm.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    It’s not so much outright shooting it’s scenes such as torture and cruelty that I think are more worrying. Look at the scene they trailered in the Last of Us Part II where they used the hammer on the girl. Compare that with pew pew head pops in Destiny and it’s clear that the format doesn’t necessarily determine the psychological impact on people.

Maybe. But maybe pew pew head pops maybe lends itself to a normalisation of gunning people down, whereas at least in TLOU2 it's a hard watch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Get a decent mouse with a few extra buttons and you can bind some of the controls to those rather than having to use keys, but other than that it's just muscle memory.
  • The laptop came with a gaming mouse with bits and bobs all over it. This would be a walk in the park 20 years ago eh.
  • I can’t even remember the shortcuts in Word.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The laptop came with a gaming mouse with bits and bobs all over it. This would be a walk in the park 20 years ago eh.

just get yaself a logitech hero, feck all the 50 button mouse nonsense
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When I said etra buttons, I was thinking 2 or three thumb buttons and maybe an extra button next to the scroll wheel, nothing crazy.
  • Well I've committed myself to learning M&K now but fuck me I'm struggling. How do you not hit the wrong buttons without looking down constantly? I thought as a gaming laptop the WASD keys might have a different texture or something but no. Will most default control layouts in games be okay or is there some custom tweaks to help me out?

I press the wrong keys on Minecraft all the fucking time. Move forward? Nope, just threw my sword into lava. Now I've opened my inventory.

As much as people like to wank off over mouse and keyboard control I've very rarely seen any willing to admit that the keyboard part of the equation is absolute garbage.
  • When I said etra buttons, I was thinking 2 or three thumb buttons and maybe an extra button next to the scroll wheel, nothing crazy.
    hang on, you think that doesn't sound crazy? ;)

I don't like M&K and will generally use a pad where i can. I appreciate why people say it's 'better' for FPS gaming, but i think pads are much more comfortable and 'fun' to use. Then again i don't really like FPS generally.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RTS and FPS then mouse and keyboard is the best option, but only because the mouse is so good. If you could have a mouse and a sort of half pad with a thumb stick for movement and some buttons on the grip that would be perfect for me.
  • Something something joke about ‘mouse cliques’.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Squlique squlique
  • RTS and FPS then mouse and keyboard is the best option, but only because the mouse is so good. If you could have a mouse and a sort of half pad with a thumb stick for movement and some buttons on the grip that would be perfect for me.

Those things exist.
    This is called a Frag Chuck, there are other options. I have no idea if any are good mind.
    81fl2g-kjvL._SX679_.jpg
  • The thing on the left I could get behind...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Heh
  • LivDiv wrote:
    RTS and FPS then mouse and keyboard is the best option, but only because the mouse is so good. If you could have a mouse and a sort of half pad with a thumb stick for movement and some buttons on the grip that would be perfect for me.
    Those things exist. This is called a Frag Chuck, there are other options. I have no idea if any are good mind. 81fl2g-kjvL._SX679_.jpg

I'm kinda curious if that is actually any good. anyone tried something like that?
    SFV - reddave360
  • I can't see how the 'face' buttons on that wouldn't be terrible to use.
  • I can't see how the 'face' buttons on that wouldn't be terrible to use.

Was thinking that but in most FPS games, I dont use the face buttons too often so it might work? 

Did a quick check, apparently a lot of issues of the two controllers not syncing and at €100 a go.... nah.
    SFV - reddave360
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Anyway I think we’re in one of the richest periods of game development we’ve ever known, the medium has come on leaps and bounds and people are doing lots of interesting stuff, but shooting is just a fucking great verb to hang a game off cos it feels so good when it’s done right.

The pinnacle currently is wireless VR and Valve.
    Physically dropping from a stand to a crouch, body leaning to peak around a shielding crate, holding the gun up to your view whist your other hand moves upwards to load a clip. Raising an arm pointing towards a 3D space, squeezing haptic triggers and aiming in a manner that relates to the real world totally transforms the FPS experience that a single pad or M&K can’t hold a Jo Malone to.

Unsure about the societal impact of playing virtually, but it if feels mighty real, both in a good and a bad way.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm not disagreeing its not amazing but I dont enjoy VR that much. I can only see it growing in popularity but it wont be something I'll get unless its so cheap or just part of a future system I buy. My experience has been mostly good I think, I just dont feel super comfy playing it and to be honest, I dont want games to stress me too much  - the more interactive VR gets, the more stressful it seems to me. An amazing way to sell an experience but I dont want the experience if that makes sense.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Honestly head tracking is an amazing in-between step until proper VR tech is more practical. Once you've fine tuned the curves it gives you a really fantastic and immediate sense of immersion with just a standard monitor, and doesn't prevent you from seeing the real world and your peripherals. In Flight Sim it's a total game changer, I can't even watch videos of it in the first person perspective because I keep trying to look around and find it disconcerting that the view remains static.

I keep meaning to try out head tracking with Arma 3 which I think supports it, being able to move the view independantly from the body/aim direction can really transform the feel of the gameplay.
  • Kinect did head tracking without VR quite well. RIP Kinect, pouring one out for you.

It was great in Forza Motorsport 4. Turning or tilting your head to look around or get a better view of an upcoming corner. Felt natural, with zero learning curve.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Those things exist. This is called a Frag Chuck, there are other options. I have no idea if any are good mind. 81fl2g-kjvL._SX679_.jpg
    I'm kinda curious if that is actually any good. anyone tried something like that?

I used one of these back when Gears 3 was a regular part of my schedule, years ago. I got on very well with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!