Classical Music
  • I'd been wondering about igor for a while now. I hope he and his wife are doing ok, I always enjoyed his recommendations. Led me down some fantastic alleys in music that I would never have found otherwise.

Edit: 
    If you are a complete noob, as well as the classical fm best of stuff, maybe try the Spotify playlists, Philip Glass, and William Orbit's album, then maybe some of the film-music composers such as John Williams, then back through Holst, Wagner, Prokofiev, all the people from whom modern film composers relentlessly copy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Noob to classical music, where do I start? With a generic best of album?

As good a place as any. Then follow the composer.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'd been wondering about igor for a while now. I hope he and his wife are doing ok, I always enjoyed his recommendations. Led me down some fantastic alleys in music that I would never have found otherwise.

@igorgetmeabrain
  • Thanks, it's been an interesting and somewhat fraught couple of years but I'm still here. Not even been lurking here much lately but that might change. It was horrible to hear of LazyGunn but I hope everyone here is doing ok too. I keep myself to myself so I didn't know him too well but I always had much admiration for him. Other than that I have no clue what's been happening in B&B land but I guess I'll catch up if I attempt re-entry into the community at some point.
  • Hello Igor. I miss your pointers on classical music, it'd be good to see you back.
  • It's genuinely lovely to see you igor.  Know that you are indeed missed.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks for the kind words.
  • Anyone know owt about pianos? Specifically whether a 1920s Zimmerman upright piano is a good purchase? We found one that looks great and is ~£300, but googling seems to show that at some point last century, Zimmerman moved production to East Germany and the quality dropped quite significantly. We've seen a photo of the serial number and it dates it between 1919 - 1930, so should be okay, although I've heard some serial numbers can be faked.

Any clues?
  • To play or to just own? If it's to play I'd recommend going out to check the key action and the tuning. I'm not sure how you'd check the tuning (specifically if it will hold it's tuning), but the key action should be obvious to anyone that's played to a reasonable standard - specifically the consistency of the action, and how quickly a note can be repeated (softly).
  • Pianos are much of a muchness at that kind of price but as voices says, the only important thing really is to find out what kind of condition it's in. For £300 you could get lucky and find something that's still holding together reasonably well or it could be a clapped-out honkey-tonk pile of wood and metal. Even if it sounds reasonably in tune with itself, it's also worth checking if it's at A440 or if it's too old to take the strain and can only comfortably reach 420 or whatever.

For comparison purposes, a pro-level second-hand upright will set you back £5k+ so you have to be canny to get something worthwhile for £300.

Also well worth considering a Clavinova (digital upright), which has the advantages not only of having the weighted touch of an upright but also doesn't require a fraction of the maintenance, never goes out of tune, can be played with headphones in, can be connected to all manner of other devices and/or PAs, and is more portable and takes up less room. You'd get a decent second-hand one if you could stretch to £600+.
  • Hi-de-hi igor!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • London Royal symphony orchestra doing the Space Spectacular again at Royal Albert Hall in July. Last year was awesome. Lots of classic sci fi movies and TV show tunes.

Also in June the royal festival hall in South Bank is doing a orchestra to the best of star trek soundtracks I. E. TV shows and movies.

Lastly for final fantasy fans, there is a orchestra concert at royal albert hall in October.
  • Went to Space Spectacular last year or maybe year before. Highly recommended.

And Distant Worlds? Went with our very own DynamiteReaddy a couple of years back. Even more highlier recommended er.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I still haven't finished the eleventh season of The Simpsons. Of course, I prefer their early work.
  • Had a peaceful afternoon with Mozart's Requiem.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm not a religious person. Far from it really.

But played St Matthew's Passion yesterday - Easter Sunday. I like doing stuff like that - kind of a ritual with me.

The more I listen to this the better it gets.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just bought tickets for a classical music concert for the first time. One of my bucket list things is to hear something played in the Royal Albert Hall - so I'm starting small to see if it is something I really would like before looking further into it.

Have booked 2 seats in the Ulster Hall for the Ulster Orchestra playing Beethoven's 7th.  2nd movement is well known as it's used in films - was used in King's Speech for example.

Not until March - but nice to know it's in the pipeline.
  • Beethoven 7 is glorious. The slow movt is beautiful but there's a brilliant freshness and vitality to the other three movts. The conductor Sir Thomas Beecham (who is known for his ascerbic comments) said of it that "it's like a lot of yaks jumping around", so that's something to listen out for! What else is in the programme?

As far as the Albert Hall goes though, I would recommend booking tickets for the Proms next year. You really can't beat that as a classical music experience in this country.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Con Brio by Jorg Widmann
    Violin Concerto by Mendelssohnn
    then the 7th.

A German soloist called Veronika Eberie
  • I went to a Final Fantasy Symphony concert in Royal Albert Hall. Was bloody great!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Wow, I'm really quite annoying.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I guess it is annoying that you only post about ten times per year, yes. Post more.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I went to a Final Fantasy Symphony concert in Royal Albert Hall. Was bloody great!

Indeed... That concert cultivated a burgeoning interest somewhere deep within me.
    It's not going to completely (or indeed, ever) wash out all the rap, but I've gotten into Prokofiev recently... 

Thing is, outside of his work, I don't know what's good.

Any recommendations?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What Prokofiev have you been listening to?
    Shostakovich and Stravinsky are two vaguely contemporaneous Russians who are also extremely worth listening to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!