Classical Music
  • Very nicely Plornted.  Why did you give up?
  • I think I could finally tie my own shoes at 16. Good stuff there Plornt.
  • Cheers! I probably stopped like most other people who've done a thing for a long time, and maybe overdone it when they've done it; I got bored to death.
  • Yeah, some people certainly seem to enjoy it more than others. I couldn't imagine not playing the cello though. Every waking moment is planned around when I can get to play the cello that day and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Yeah. I still play the piano though, on occations. For example, at the moment I'm enjoying film music themes, including Jaws, Pan's Labyrinth, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and so on. Excellent!
  • I found another recording, this time it was the Abegg Variations by Schumann. It's from the same recital, actually. Still looking for the Beethoven one, it's pro sounding. It was in front of 3000 people and FLAWLESS!111!!!

• That is the polar opposite of a Plornt.
  • I blame the internet! Cheers, Brooks!
  • That's some precocious talent.  I know a lot of pretty nifty professional pianists who couldn't get their hands/head around that too easily.
  • Cheers, igor! I managed to find yet another recording from said recital. It's not the Beethoven I was looking for, but a sonata. The "Tempest sonata". There are three movement, this video is the first movement. Might upload the second and third movement later! :)

• Yes, but can you do this?

No, but srsly, am thoroughly enjoying your contributions.  Did you ever do much in the way of more contemporary repertoire too?
  • Yar Plornt, do this:

Fucking do it.
  • Reich was a fan of the phase, that's for sure.  That vid reminds me of those crazy Japanese kids who play solo 2-player Ikaruga.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Listened to a track from Mass Effect 3 last night (was featured on MLG), and though it shared no riffs, it totally reminded me of Finlandia. The way it was heavily narrative and juxtaposed two riffs to form the interaction between two protagonists. Although the Mass Effect thing was far clumsier and lacked any subtlety, it reminded me to listen to this and though I don't listen to enough classical music I do love the heavy (and slightly easy, possible paint by numbers) narrative he paints. Reminds me a lot of some of the Russian guys and watching Ugly Duckling and Peter and the Wolf as a kid
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I love Sibelius, particularly his tone poems.  In a narrative sense, Lemminkainen Legends is particularly outstanding, especially the haunting tale of the black swan (of Tuonela).  It's on the Timeline (now added to the OP).

Peter & the Wolf is also brilliant, though I'm a little baffled why it's been adopted as the theme tune to Euro 2012 (by BBC or ITV, I forget which).

Ugly Duckling?
  • Yes, but can you do this? No, but srsly, am thoroughly enjoying your contributions.  Did you ever do much in the way of more contemporary repertoire too?

Haha, that guy's awesome. I never moved much into contemporary, think Debussy was the most recent composer to date that I ever played. I never cared much for the contemporary composers like Schönberg and the likes. Cheers, will keep looking for the Beethoven concerto, it's my favourite recording that I've ever done!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hazy childhood memories, likely wrong. Thought I recalled an animation of Ugly Duckling, possibly by or at least in style of pre-Aladdin Disney, thought it was set to a piece, like Fantasia

I guess (and it is a guess) that whoever composed Peter and the Wolf was born in what is now Ukraine. Most of the former Soviet states were as nationalistic as they dared. Hence the whole story behind Finlandia (I believe also Peter and the wolf was also about Soviet imperialism, though I may have just made that up)

The Lemminkainen suite is gorgeous, you might want to read the Kalevala, they compliment each other so well. I really like his Kullervo piece but then I've always identified with Kullervo as a character
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You may be right - the only musical recollection that I have of the Ugly Duckling is that Hans Christian Andersen musical, starring Danny Kaye.

P&tW is Prokofiev, who is one of the great Russian composers of 20C, though it seems he was born in Ukraine.  I guess they found it difficult to track down any particularly well-known Ukranian composers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wooe'd myself to sleep with this last night.

• Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Ohh, that's up there in my top three, love it.

EDIT: having given my top three some thought, it may be top five. So hard to pick favourites.
  • I can't play favourites - there's too much to choose from. As far as RVW's concerned though, I love a good rendition of The Lark Ascending.
  • Off to the Proms tonight. Sir Simon Rattle and his mop of hair will be entertaining me with some Ligeti, Wagner, Sibelius, Debussy and Ravel. I will be in a box, drinking champagne and trying not to cough.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Try not to applaud at the wrong moment either.
  • Best not to applaud at all I find. I shall silently nod to show my appreciation.
  • The Proms audience are pretty relaxed about the clapping thing, just as long as you wait until they're finished playing.
    You've picked one of the best Proms of the season, well done.
    Great programme, phenomenal orchestra & conductor.
  • Really enjoyed last night and listening to it all again now on iPlayer. Not too much coughing going on but someone a couple of boxes away fell asleep and started snoring. I'd not been to a Proms concert before but will definitely be along for some more next year.

Arty celebrity spot of the night was Peter Hall (director) in the champagne bar.
  • Some music what I've been jiving to:

• Not heard that Kurtag played on a double bass before - think it's more often played on the cello(?), though never played it myself.
    Some lovely guitar playing there too.
  • This Mendelssohn made me feel a little better today. If you listen to nothing else, the first movement of the Octet is just wonderful - James Ehnes is a sublime violinist.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!