Rolling Stone top 100 Albums
‹ Previous12
  • I fancied listening to whole albums this week and didnt know what to pick so looked up a top 100 and went with the top 100 of Rolling Stone's top 500.
    500 is too much for me but a top 100 should be good enough to hold some appeal even when Im not a huge fan of the genre.

The top 500 can be found here
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/

Self imposed rules.
    1. I have to listen to the album start to finish in order. No skipping or binning.
    2. Only standard versions of albums. Remasters are fine but not bothering with extra tracks from deluxe versions, anniversary editions or total re-recordings (e.g Taylor Swift)
    3. Scoring out of 10. This is based entirely on how much I enjoy it and I'm using the full range of scores. Its a top 100 so scores are under those conditions a [5] here could be a 7 or 8 outside of a top 100. Otherwise most things are going to end up being 8,9 and 10s.
  • 100: The Band – Music from Big Pink
    Consistent. Not really my thing, this is my dad’s music and as such I've heard it and it’s like a million times over the years. A good example of the genre and era.
    [4]

99: Taylor Swift- Red
    Some great pop hits. Excellent production. A really solid album and one I enjoyed more than expected. Major downside is it was too long, this I think is going to be a bit of a theme with the more modern stuff. Trim the fat and leave me wanting more.
    [6]

98: Lucinda Williams – Wheels on a Gravel Road
    A surprise hit. Not a genre that would normally be a go to for me but this was a fun, easy album and I will check out more of her work.
    [7]

97: Metallica – Master of Puppets
    Already knew I loved this one. Pure fucking energy! I was head banging and air drumming around the office. Excellent.
    [9]

96: R.E.M – Automatic for the People
    The hits are fantastic and feel like a comfy armchair of nostalgia for the 90s. The album tracks eh, not so much kinda forgettable.
    [6]

95: Drake – Take Care
    This one stretched the no binning rule. Boring dirge. DMX once described Drake’s voice as a whirring washing machine and I have to agree. When I did pick out lyrics they were cringe worthy and steeped in immature misogyny. Flat, dull, never ending (another one with too many tracks). The best bits were when Drake wasn’t rapping.
    [1]

94: The Stooges – Fun House
    Dirty, grimey pre punk rock. It felt dangerous, at least for its time. Great energy. Hits like a hammer then fucks off. Needs a remaster mind.
    [6]

93: Missy Elliot: Supa Dupa Fly
    A great example of late 90s/early 00s Hip Hop. Missy is on point throughout as are the guests. Probably not my fave Missy album but up there with the best of the time and genre.
    [7]

92: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love
    Going I assume completely against the grain I like Hendrix until he starts fucking about on the guitar. There is a lot of soul and funk along with the rock in this album, just have to put up with the odd bit of widdly crap.
    [5]

91: Bruce Springsteen – Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Solid Boss. Doesn’t have any of my favourite Bruce tracks on it but each track is good in it’s own right. If I want 40 minutes of Springsteen this will do the job.
    [6]

90: Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    If there was a White People Music Society Neil Young would be chairman. Its all fairly pleasant in a plinky plonky way. I am sure if I listened a few times the lyrics would have some more meaning than Im picking up. Its fine.
    [4]

89: Erykah Badu - Baduizm
    I've never really sat down and listened to a Badu album before for whatever reason, despite liking here stuff. This was great, way up my street. Chilled, cool as a cucumber, funky. Fantastic voice.
    [9]

88: David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    Its Bowie, dont really need to say much more. A tiny tiny crit, the hits are front loaded and I prefer them scattered through but it matters little on this as the album tracks are strong.
    [8]

87: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew.
    The first experimental/non standard album on the list. Its jazz, I like jazz when its chill but can get annoying when it goes crazy. This album does both. Disc 1 is divided into two 20 odd minute tracks. Pharaoh's Dance I enjoyed, Bitches Brew not so much. Disc 2 is juts more, struggled to distinguish how one track is different to another there. How do you section off jazz into tracks?
    [6]

86: John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band.
    Lennon was a bell end as such I struggle with any of his lyrics, just comes across as a bit of a know it all. Musically fine, Im sure it probably meant more on release but sounds a lot like everything else from that time to me. A few good drum licks in there.
    [3]

85: AC/DC - Back in Black
    Unapologetic, toe tapping rock. Its a good album but its also one steeped in nostalgia for me. My brother and dad both love AC/DC so I have heard this album hundreds of times. Both would have it blasting in the garage while working on cars, still do. This album smells like petrol. 
    [8]

84: Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
    Dusty's silky smooth siren like voice makes this a very easy listen. A beautiful album.
    However The Windmills of your mind will forever be Partridge book pulping.
    [7]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I bought the "book" version of their top 500 in Newark airport several years ago.   I've use it to dip into some genres I don't normally listen to. Caused me to listen to Cap. Beefheat, Biggie Smalls, Joni Mitchell and a few others.

Need to go back to that. Though I see it was refreshed in 2020 so mine will be out of date.

Just checked - that headache inducing warbling of Joni Mitchell's Blue now at No.3?  Fuck that noise.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is top ten all time for me. She's done plenty of very good albums (career started in the late 70s) but in fairness that one's widely considered the best for a reason. The real deal.

Go early(ish) for fun/easy. Sweet Old World (1992) will see you right for further listening, I reckon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm sure the craft is there. That style of singing just puts me on edge.
  • Cheers Moot, will add to my Spotify Albums so I remember.

Ive just realised Im definitely going to get fucked over by having to listen to at least one Bob Dylan album.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Dylan isn't easy. Not by a long chalk. Another bloody whiner.
  • Had a little look at the upcoming Dylan albums.  Definitely more than one coming your way.  Can't see any of them being a hit if you're dreading him already, but Highway 61 Revisited might surprise you.
  • If I can get through that Drake album I can get through Dylan.
    At least Dylan won't have lyrics asking a woman if she has had her stitches out of her breast implants so he can have a go on them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Seems like some kind of self-torture exercise.
  • 90: Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    If there was a White People Music Society Neil Young would be chairman. Its all fairly pleasant in a plinky plonky way. I am sure if I listened a few times the lyrics would have some more meaning than Im picking up. Its fine. Also had top listen on YT so now my algo will be fucked.
    [4]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Love that album to bits.
  • I can see why others would to be fair.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Prompted me to listen to Beyonce's Lemonade. Enjoyable so far but I prefer it when she is more ballsy and less warbley.
  • 89: Erykah Badu - Baduizm
    I've never really sat down and listened to a Badu album before for whatever reason, despite liking here stuff. This was great, way up my street. Chilled, cool as a cucumber, funky. Fantastic voice.
    [9]
  • LivDiv wrote:
    89: Erykah Badu - Baduizm
    [9]

Amazing album.
  • This is an interesting experiment but having looked through the top 100 not one for me, certainly not with liv's rules.
    Seems baffling to me that a list that includes compilations and greatest hits wouldn't have a queen album in there, among other notable absences.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The list is flawed as hell, not least in its American taste centric inclusions or more accurately exclusions.
    Certainly not a list I would say is right but it will sort me for listening to different stuff.
  • That’s cos queen suck
    The Forum Herald™
  • Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, or A Day at the Races would be the Queen picks for me if I couldn't have Greatest Hits I.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is a noble thread that I won't do.
    Bob wrote:
    That’s cos queen suck

I thought I was the only one but now I'm aligned with Bob.
  • 88: David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    Its Bowie, dont really need to say much more. A tiny tiny crit, the hits are front loaded and I prefer them scattered through but it matters little on this as the album tracks are strong.
    [8]
  • 87: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew.
    The first experimental/non standard album on the list. Its jazz, I like jazz when its chill but can get annoying when it goes crazy. This album does both. Disc 1 is divided into two 20 odd minute tracks. Pharaoh's Dance I enjoyed, Bitches Brew not so much. Disc 2 is just more, struggled to distinguish how one track is different to another there.
    [6]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bitches Brew requires repeat listening. I find it best to put it on and lie down with my eyes closed. It's a bit of a mindfuck really.  Not an easy listen at all.

The track "Miles runs the Voodoo down" is probably the most accessible bit of it.  Watching the album being performed is bonkers - the sheer number of people on the stage - it's a miracle anything with any structure at all emerges.  I encountered Bitches Brew after the ice cool Kind of Blue....was quite a kick in the balls.
  • I definitely think its something I would rather experience live.
    I think that goes for this type of music in general.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - though the album was heavily produced. It's the sort of thing that would change every time you hear it live - which is kind of the point I suppose. But the album is easier going from the live performances I've seen on video.
  • 86: The Doors - The Doors
    The End is an absolutely brilliant track. Break on through and Light my Fire too. I liked it, I like the sound The Doors had. Its an era that can get a bit samey for me but they stand out. Solid album.
    [7]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think Break on Through may be my favourite single of all time. It has it all - fantastic bass line, great vocals, nonsense lyrics and most importantly, it's only 2 minutes long.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to start this although I might not see it through. One album each time I make dinner on the sonos

Music From Big Pink

It's that weird blues and country crossover from that era. I like it. When The Weight came on I obv knew a lot, but it is just kind of one of those nice getting on with it albums. I liked it.
  • You shouldn’t make dinner on the Sonos.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!