The best level/section/track/moment
‹ Previous1234
  • Was trying to paste in from a Word doc but it wasn't working. Anyway see below:
  • What are the most memorable levels/sections/tracks/moments? What makes them particularly fun, ott, clever?

****SPOILERS****
    Obviously, but make the title of the game clear and people can read the bits they want. Here's some:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

St. Francis Folly – Tomb Raider at its best – exploring a huge old ruin with very little combat and no interruption. After the first part you enter a large square chamber which just seems to go down forever. Finding your way to the bottom involves some of the finest ledge grabbing, switch throwing platform puzzling ever designed.

Yoshi's Island

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy – Nintendo exploiting its SNES technology with a ton of clever ideas. This one’s a simple enough platform level, which is filled with these little fluffy clouds. Not too troublesome until you accidentally make contact with one and then the whole scene changes. Yoshi starts stumbling around drunk while the landscape warps around him, turning flat ground into hills and making each jump all the more troublesome.

Contra 3

Level  4 – Ups the already considerable scale and pace of earlier levels by throwing you in to a forced scrolling section starting on some sort of hover bike. You battle through a tunnel against flying enemies before being spat out to face a giant alien ship. You work your way along its underside against all manner of weapons before it flies off, and then things really get going. Finally a barrage of missiles is launched against the alien ship with you hanging from one. Just as each is about to make impact you have to jump to another, all the while trying to take down the ship’s defences and expose the weak point. Audacious and frenetic.

Dark Souls

The second bell - more a string of levels this, but it's the way they work together to create the sense of a descent into greater and greater decay and depravity. Having been told at the beginning of the game to ring two bells, one above, one down below, most players will find the higher one first, perhaps predictably in a church tower. So why would there be another down below? You start what turns out to be a seemingly never ending descent. What you uncover is a history, without any cut scenes or much dialogue, or any kind of scanning device or abandoned diaries. It’s just there in the architecture, the monsters and characters, and the level design. And each part is that bit more disturbing than the last.  

Bayonetta

The final battle against Jeanne - an epic encounter with an evenly matched adversary that starts atop a skyscraper, which then collapses as the fight continues with both characters ending up on the side of the building still fighting. Jeanne starts to summon huge missiles towards you which you can catch and throw back at her, before finally you both jump on top of one and the battle carries on. You finally end up hopping off the missile and onto the plaza of another building and fighting around a large fountain. The fight never lets up and the breathless action matches the spectacle perfectly.

Dead Space: Extraction

The first chapter – what starts off as a tutorial turns out to be a brilliant piece of narrative and sets the tone for a game that messes with your ideas of being in control of a character, especially in a linear environment like the on rails shooter. Playing as a technician working as part of a team responsible for shifting this large alien artefact, things start off normally with you riveting panels in place and operating consoles. Then things go wrong and people start to turn crazy, attacking you and your team mates. The deeper you get the more everyone loses it and the more people you have no choice but to kill. All the while there’s these weird whispering voices and strange symbols appearing around you. The ending ties it all together perfectly.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    The first few hours of Resident Evil 4 in the village, it's all so weird and ramshackle, you feel like you've really stumbled into a secluded poor village full of pissed off locals and crazy shit. Later the environments and scenarios get more unrealistic, the enemies "level up", and it feels like an ordinary game again.
  • I'm gonna have to try Tomb Raider Anniversary at some point if the new one disappoints.  I only ever played the first one, past demo disk levels anyway, and thought it was absolutely superb. 

Micro Machines II

EPIC SPONGE BATTLE LEVEL.  Probably the best four-player experience ever.  Might have been called Stinky Sinks or something.  Second cup cake to the right and straight on 'til morning.

Edit: Actually, I think it was called Ferry Fiasco.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Baby Park - Mario Kart Double Dash:

Sheer MP perfection. Chaos, a sense of proper rivalry, and hours of fun after fun. Glorious, so much so I have an MK:DD tournament planned for next month.
  • God of War

The moment when you fight through the desert and blow the special horn thingy. Through the dust ahead lumbers the biggest thing I had ever seen in a game at that point. Proceeding onto the back of Kronos and then entering into the massive temple on his back was just insanely epic.

God of War 3

Fighting the titan mentioned above.

Resident Evil 4

Approaching the first village, unsure of what to expect and then panicking as the shit well and truely hits the fan. Taking cover in a nearby building you take stock, check ammo, herbs etc. Then you hear the revving of a chainsaw and a classic is born.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

This is more of a personal amazing moment. I was playing campaign co-op with my brother and I was in total contol of everything. We came to a room with three hostages and four enemies inside. I directed my brother to one door, took the other myself, marked the enemies and then led the countdown. We breached and took the enemies out in about a second. It was just perfect and so immensly satisfying.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Final Fantasy VIII
    When your party pass out and you're suddenly playing 3 different characters and everything is different, even the battle music. Lasts just long enough that you start to quite get into it then suddenly you're the original party again and you're like "Oh yeah, I was on a train wasn't I? Forgot about that. WTF JUST HAPPENED?"
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Baby Park - Mario Kart Double Dash: Sheer MP perfection. Chaos, a sense of proper rivalry, and hours of fun after fun. Glorious, so much so I have an MK:DD tournament planned for next month.

Fuck off m8.

That's the worst one. My flatmate insists on only ever playing this level when I occasionally let him put DD on.

DD is shit anyway.
  • Fuck it. MK is shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Baby Park - Mario Kart Double Dash: Sheer MP perfection. Chaos, a sense of proper rivalry, and hours of fun after fun. Glorious, so much so I have an MK:DD tournament planned for next month.
    Fuck off m8. That's the worst one. My flatmate insists on only ever playing this level when I occasionally let him put DD on. DD is shit anyway.

Nah m8 ur rong m7 I've played 4player MP on it for years and its fucking fun, as is doing 150cc all cup tour tourney but m8 dont h8 me m8 cos ur flatmate is silly
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    luv m8
  • less than three
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Half-Life 2 Nova Prospekt. Loved sitting back and watching an infinite army of bugs dudes fuck my enemies up, but still being useful by taking out sentry guns and the like.

Devil May Cry 3 The bit where Virgil let him self fall into the abyss rather than let Dante save him genuinely bought a tear to my eye.

Resident Evil 2 Pretty much any appearance of Mr.X, he is terrifying and awesome.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Getting in to a random encounter with about 8 dudes who all happened to be standing at the same altitude, and wiping them all out with one spell from my mathematician.

Freedom Fighters I have a very clear memory of watching one of my downed troops slipping beneath the icy water before I had a chance to revive him whilst assaulting the final base at night over the frozen river.
  • St Francis Folly on Tomb Raider held a devils place in my heart. Loved climbing to the top and then finding the best place to swan dive off the top all the way to the bottom.

God of War when Ares impaled you with a giant spoke he throws from Sparta all the way yo where you're exiting the Kronos temple.

Metal Gear Solid 3.
    Last boss fight is quite possibly the most beautiful moment I have ever experienced in gaming.

Final Fantasy X
    Fighting against all your acquired Aions at the end. The more you've acquired the harder it is. Still fun.

Prince of Persia SoT
    No real singular moment, but, when the level design is so right that your athletic movement through it seems to flow so beautifully it's easy to get lost in awe when you finish a sequence.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Peggle

The first time you clear all the orange pegs is great and very satisfying. Then 'Ode to Joy' starts and you feel even better.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • The sneaky level from CoD4.  Normally I hate stealth levels but that really was amazing.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Call of Duty 2
    Hill defence (on Veteran)

Bioshock
    Opening bathysphere sequence

Alan Wake
    The dream type sequence in the second DLC

Crackdown
    Scaling the Agency tower for the first time

Mass Effect 2
    Shepard's Leap for Glory

Metro 2033
    Carrying the kid

Rock Band
    Nailing five stars on a Hard song after the drum jam at the end.

Left4Dead
    First 4 person escape

Devil May Cry
    Galleon level
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Penumbra: Overture
    Saying goodbye to Red.

No More Heroes
    Being prompted to listen to the speaker in the Wiimote like a phone.

Half Life
    When you travel to Xen.

Operation Flashpoint
    Running several real life kilometers to my escape chopper. Hiding in shrubs from Russian troops and Hinds where being spotted usually means a bullet ending your attempt a few seconds later.

I'll think of more probably when I get home from work. I might even change this unoriginal formatting.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Half Life 2Ravenholm. RAVENHOLM

Super Mario World
    The secret star world

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
    The escape at the end for the 'best' ending.

Mass Effect 2
    Running up the side of the building

Resident Evil 4
    Freaking out in the hedge maze with the dogs.

Braid
    Dat last level. 

More to come.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Metal Gear Solid 4Your hallucinogenic trip down the river.
  • The Prison of Hope/Latria in Demon's Souls. It does get old after repeating it a few times, but my first run on this level is one of the best game experiences. The dank, heavy atmosphere filled with cackling, random singing, disembodied voices crying out for help, bell ringing and assorted clanks. Suitably spooked and moving forward slowly as if on tip-toes you encounter a new bell ringing tentacle faced enemy who freezes you with a bolt of magic, gets in close and lifts you by the face with his facial tentacles and kills you instantly.
    It can only get worse (more awesome).
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Operation Flashpoint. gman. Truck. Two wheels. 

Funniest moment ever.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I'm surprised that Half Life's intro has yet to get a mention.
    Also, choosing your difficulty level in Quake by choosing a portal (right? I didn't dream that did I?)

Both awesome for their time.

Op Flash gave Rossi and I countless moments. One of the best was a custom mission that we made excessively hard by accident. Ended with Rossi fleeing from way too many bad guys, getting chased up the castle tower prefab with me arriving in the nick of time in my UH-60 and plucking him off the top. Mission failed but everyone went home.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Mass Effect 2 Running up the side of the building

Wasn't that the first one? The zero G bit?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jesus. Maybe it was. So memorable eh.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Super Mario Galaxy At some point I was just wandering round the hub-world, might have been when it lets you fly, the main theme kicked in and I found myself bobbing my head around grinning like an idiot.

Gregory Horror Show At some point in the middle when there were plenty of guests but before the game got weird, sneaking round avoiding everyone while spying on the through keyholes was really enjoyable.

G-Police Mission 31. After all the epic battles seem to be finished it's a fun change of pace to take on petty criminals in my massively overpowered gunship.

The Elder Scrolls I can't think of many bit's from either of the two games I played? I think the game design while impressive and expansive is always a bit too messy and wonky to completely immerse me. Maxing out my athletics and being to jump whole over walls traps and enemies was pretty cool I guess.
  • More later, but to start with...

Metal Gear Solid 3
    Great boss fights. It had already been mentioned, but the fight with The Boss is one of the best gaming moments. It's so beautiful and is fun too. Being chased by the Shagohod was absolutely exhilarating. 

I loved the battle The End. I was playing with 5.1 surround sound and playing a tactical sniper battle in the beautiful hills woods and stream, animals around, starts raining... beautiful. 

Bioshock
    The intro was good, but it's the mid-game reveal that I loved. Great build up and quite deep. One of my favourite gaming moments.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JourneyThe whole fucking thing. Ok, if I was to pick one moment, it's the final struggle up the mountain in the blizzard. The 'epliogue' was great too, very uplifting. 

Super Mario Galaxy
    Already mentioned above, it's the first real level that had me so excited. The great visuals, the amazing music, that made me feel "yes! Mario is back, baby!"
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Final Fantasy 7 Aeris, obviously. A close second would be the flashback in Kalm Town fighting alongside Sephiroth and being awed by his power.

Chrono Cross Swapping bodies with Lynx, it was like the JRPG version of Face/Off and completely unexpected.

MGS3 The entire fight against The End and the neverending ladder, genuinely creasing when Snake Eater hits as you climb.

Shadow of the Colossus The moment when a sense of foreboding replaces pride as you kill another colossi.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    MGS3 The entire fight against The End and the neverending ladder, genuinely creasing when Snake Eater hits as you climb.

This.

Also, Left 4 Dead 1/2 when you all finally make it to the safe room after a difficult struggle through a chapter with everyone on next to no health.

Journey It's just beautiful from start to finish.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!