The Big Strike Thread
‹ Previous12
  • They're everywhere. Do you agree with them? Have they affected you? Who's going to strike next?

Strike calendar here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/12/uk-strike-days-calendar-the-public-service-stoppages-planned-for-december

Some of my family were going to come up this weekend but that's now goosed, but I'm more or less sympathetic to the strikers. I wonder how many public sector workers voted Tory? 

I do think they should expect to take a little hit in the current economic climate but having said that most of them have been shafted for a few years now, certainly since covid, and there are other factors like working conditions. 

The rail workers are asking for 7% which is well below inflation and seems pretty reasonable to me. The fair pay for nursing campagn is asking for for 5% above inflation which would currently push it North of 17%. Teachers in Scotland are asking for 10%, which to me sounds about right.

As an aside Mick Lynch is a fucking legend.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yeah as someone not massively impacted by the strikes, and therefore coming from a privileged position, I'm all in favour from what I understand.
    For eg the RMT is not about just cash, it's the work terms and conditions which are sucky and I'd like a union to fight for me if they were being imposed. the timing is also imposed since the proposed changes are due to come in shortly so not even the 'they're ruining Christmas' arguments sway me

The Johsonesque 'it'd cost every household £1000 to provide the demands' from Sunak is the usual shameful divisive deceit and if it were only that I'd support the strikes, the lying fuck

good luck to them and hope they get what they ask for
  • The government response has been woeful
    Regardless of where anyone sits on strikes they should be pissed off at the government's head in the sand tactics. Different governments will obviously lean more one way or another but their role should be to mediate and represent the tax paying public. Especially as most of those striking are tax funded, subsidised or run gov approved and legislated effective monopolies

The media especially the BBC are cunts for only ever talking about money not conditions.

From there I'll take each strike on its own merits but it's pretty tough to not support the workers across the board.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I find the emotional blackmail of "you're ruining soldiers' (who get paid less than you!) Christmas, because you're greedy!" So fucking annoying.

Along with something along the lines of "but they'll do it anyway and not complain because they have a sense of duty".

1. It's not the rail workers or nurses or lorry drivers or postal workers that decide what to pay soldiers. If their salary is too low that's on the government.

2. It's not the workers who decide to crash out the military everytime something needs sorting, like the fire strikes, or the Olympic Games, or flooding, or oil tanker strikes, or whatever else, it's the government that do that.

3. They will fucking complain, and whinge and moan, because they are pissed off that they're getting fucked around again. But they will do what they are told, not because they are super dedicated civic minded heroes, but because they don't have a choice. What they will do though is sign off and leave the military.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I support all the strikes as a good union member.

It’s really tough to go on strike legally these days, if the unions have managed to meet the threshold for doing so, then things must be pretty bad for its members.
  • Good luck to them but I hope it's sorted soon. It took me three and a half hours to get to work this morning and we're still catching up from missing post at the tail end of last week. So yeah...as someone who works a ridiculous distance away without the possibility of WFH, doing a job that relies on Royal Mail deliveries ngl it's getting on my tits.
  • Strikes good. Especially the spicy ones.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Always up for a bit of industrial action
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I can't remember a strike I haven't agreed with. Apart from when Moot refused to play me at pool cos I kept beating him.
  • Correction: because he knew I was going to beat him after one win apiece.
  • The 9 ball attempt didn't count because I don't understand maths pool.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    aka counting?
  • They were set up in a weird shape too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't think the gov quite know what to do - you know - the idea that you meet with them - they want X - you offer Y and then agree on Z.

Fucking unbelievable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Talking more specifically on these current strikes.
    I think it reflects the total failure of the Tory government(s) that have led to conditions that make people want to strike. It also shows Sunak's weakness that so many are going ahead. The unions smell blood.
    The public who arent striking can sympathise with workers more than usual and it seems the support is there, the piss weak gov have no support so cant counter it.
  • I'd guess the gov cant afford Z without taxing the rich or pulling services back into public ownership.
  • I've gone on gag strike. No more gags, until appreciation for my humour is shown. Solidarity with me, ozno.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I beat Muzzy at pool.
  • I am 100% behind anyone wishing to strike and support my fellow union members completely.
    This government must stop vilifying those just trying to earn a fair wage.

I'm not personally impacted by the strikes and in the other thread I posted about just being told I'm getting a promotion and pay rise so in many ways I have nothing to strike over and no reason to complain. I'm extremely lucky and privileged here.
    However you don't get anywhere in society by pulling up the ladder behind you.
    I will join any picket line and offer whatever help I can to my fellow workers.

Fuck you Tories
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Latest poll has the Tories on just 69 seats (nice).
    Maybe Sunak should look at doing something about these ever increasing strikes rather than banging on about Albanians.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I'd guess the gov cant afford Z without taxing the rich or pulling services back into public ownership.

Aye. They have painted themselves into a corner with greed and sheer incompetence. Did they not think that strikes were likely? This has been brewing since the bank bailout and the austerity measures. I'm surprised it took this long - Brexit distracted people from the fact that they were getting fucked over for several years of course. COVID only turned the temperature up.  Kind of a perfect storm.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah very much feels like things are coming to a head.
  • They should just announce a general strike imo.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Mrs Prime is a postie, and she’s lost a lot of money by striking.

The proposals from the Royal Mail are horrendous though, and the lies of losing £1m a day, or week, or whatever they’re claiming pales compared to the hundreds of millions being paid to shareholders.

Lots of these unions being forced to strike, are representing workers who worked through the pandemic, rather than being furloughed, and were ‘clapped’ on the doorstep on Thursday evenings.

Fuck the Tories.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bloody lazy shites, as if they don’t get enough holiday already without having more time off.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Scammers next pls. My biggest pay rise since 2005ish (other than covering travel for us to work in the middle of nowhere) was 3%
  • Wont someone please think of the Nigerian princes!
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!