The Generation Game
‹ Previous12
  • Inspired by a comment in another thread.  I apologise for the fact that I'm not articulating very well here, I hope you get my gist.

I know that this generation of consoles isn't over yet but, as it stands, what games defines the generation for you?  The question could be taken a couple of ways.  It could be the game which, when you look back, is the game which defines your experience of this generation.  Not necessarily your favourite game, but the one which typifies your view of the generation.

Alternatively, you could look at it as the game which has had the greatest influence/effect on this generation of consoles.

For example, if I were to think of the games which have moulded my experience of the generation, I'd probably say Gears of War 2.  More than likely this is simply down to my experiences of online multiplayer, either in a co-op campaign or team death-matches.

On the other hand, if I were to think about the game which has had the greatest influence on the videogame map this generation, it's surely Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  It strikes me that the runaway success of that game is responsible for so many copycat games that have been released and, by the looks of E3, will be released in the next while.

Although, by that gauge, maybe it's Uncharted.  Fuck, I dunno.

I think (hope) some of you might be able to develop this vague ramble into a more intelligent conversation.
  • I would say MW2, COD4 was a good game MW2 started this mental OTT stuff.

Forza defined accurate racing, it did what GT wished it could do and ran it home.

Trials summed up the massive potential for download only games, it was classic gameplay with this gen graphics, great stuff.

Gears 3 was the ultimate online experience for me, dedicated servers are the future (or 10 years ago if you are a PC gamer)

Batman and Gears 3 pushed the Unreal engine to it's max, and that engine is the main thing that I would choose to define this gen. The last 5 to 10 years would have been very different were it not for the Unreal engine.

Edit: Halo 2, if Halo 2 hadn't have been as successful last gen I don't think we would have seen as much focus on online gaming on consoles. It was pretty much THE reason to have live on the original xbox.
  • The first Gears of War probably sums up the generation for me, because it was slick, playable, visually impressive, came with all sorts of multiplayer extras I never touched, and wasn't quite my cup of tea.  Quite a few games this generation fall into that category; they're not doing much wrong per se, but they're still not stirring my loins.  I wish I could say the Mario Galaxy games definied the generation for me, but whilst I think they're the best retail games this round of consoles had to offer, the Unreal powered dreary/guns/trashtalking meathead thing was unfortunately more commonplace.
  • The Mario galaxy games define Nintendo.
  • Indie gaming defines this gen for me. Fez, Braid, World of Goo, Super Meat Boy, all that stuff.
  • The Mario galaxy games define Nintendo.

Then Nintendo found a way to define excellence :). 

Workid just listed three of my top ten games this gen.  Downloadable titles have kept me interested in gaming, I think I may have strayed away from these consoles without them, or at least focused more heavily on retro stuff.
  • The CoDs, Halos, Mass Effects, Gears of War - I think they spring to mind first. Big expensive American games with military themes make the biggest noise.

And also there's been a shift towards set-piece based Hollywood action adventures, with join the dots gameplay where nothing's really supposed to stop your progress for very long because that makes it less like a film. CoD and Gears again to a degree. Dead Space. Maybe Uncharted, and things like Enslaved and even Batman and Castlevania. Again, mostly big expensive American games.

I think those kind of dominate the older style of game, which is perhaps now more Japanese, where it's about challenge or improving your skills or learning the depths of the game system (Bayonetta, Dark Souls).

Or perhaps it's better to say that that kind of thing has mainly shifted to online multiplayer, and maybe that's the defining feature.
  • Never got into online multi. I'm just not good enough to enjoy it.

If it wasn't for the cheaper, quicker, quirkier stuff I can download on a whim, I don't think I'd still be a gamer.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Never got into online multi. I'm just not good enough to enjoy it.
    I've never tried it.
  • Its largely shit.

Unless you are playing in a team of friends who dont care about losing. I have had some great times playing blind drunk with mates.
  • Hmmm. Good question(s), adkm. I would that CoD is possibly the easiest choice and comes to mind first when I think of a game that has moulded the generation and not necessarily my own gong habits this gen. 

For my own experience, I really can't say. I don't think there has been any trend in what I play and any game that could have influenced mostly gaming habits. At a push, I would probably pick Rock Band. I am more minded towards short burst gaming that I can either enjoy on my own or spend lots of time with friends on for major fun. I have spent countless hour on the RB games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • For me, it'd be Left 4 Dead.

It was my first real experience of online gaming, which is obviously the modern equivalent of packing a load of controllers into a bag and meeting up at a mate's house for an evening of games.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • WorKid wrote:
    Indie gaming defines this gen for me. Fez, Braid, World of Goo, Super Meat Boy, all that stuff.

This too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I totally forgot GH/ RB came and went this generation.
    This really has been long
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got to be Wii Sports. Single handedly kicked everyone's front door down and stuck a Wii in your confused hands, making Sony and Microsoft sit up, take notice and fight back with their own brand of shite gimmick.

Will any next gen machine launch without wavy hand controls? I don't think so.
  • Umm the WiiU titles dont have wavey hands
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh. I thought the Wii-mote worked with it?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Eeesh, this is a toughie.

I'd say Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I loved the first Gears, BC1, COD4 and Left4Dead, but BFBC2 married the team work of Gears and Left4Dead with the gunplay of COD4.

There's other definey type things like Dead Rising but BFBC2 brought eveything (and everyone) together. Definitely a high water mark that sums up what I think was best -and by a small leap of logic- defined this gen, for me.
  • It does but most games shown dont really show wavey handness in a sports way.
  • Skyrim has to have a mention. It is huge but not barron, there is no way it could yave been achieved last gen, not even close.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Though it doesn't really fit into the whole generational argument basis, World of Warcraft deserves a mention for being such a cultural powerhouse and timesink for alot of people.

That and it's spawned as many if not more copycats than CoD ever has.
  • As a game that defines this gen, I'd have to go for COD4. Made the leap from the campaign being the selling point to the on-line being the important bit. Grabbed the hardcore and the casual audience, shifted the focus from game play to ranking up and shiny baubles, then went on to influence the whole AAA console market.

Wii Sports was  huge, but that stuff seems over.
  • Halo 3 multiplayer completely dominated my first few years on Live. Far and away the defining game of this generation in for me.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    CoD4, by a country mile for what was right and MW3 for what was wrong...
  • And I know that isn't a fucking game.
  • Ooh, I was thinking Halo3 for the online co-op campaign - where online hit home for me because my single player wasn't single anymore and I could romp through it with mates.

But then Optimark's call of L4D was super-on-point for me as well - redefined my expectations of exactly how fucking entertained I should be for my £40.
  • djchump wrote:
    Ooh, I was thinking Halo3 for the online co-op campaign - where online hit home for me because my single player wasn't single anymore and I could romp through it with mates. But then Optimark's call of L4D was super-on-point for me as well - redefined my expectations of exactly how fucking entertained I should be for my £40.
    I've played a lot of games for much longer periods of time than I ever spent with Left 4 Dead, but it certainly stands out as a game where nearly every moment I spent with it was a fucking riot.

8 player Edge lobbies were sublime, they really were.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    CoD4, by a country mile for what was right and MW3 for what was wrong...

Totally with you on that one. It's better than the rest of the COD franchise put together and it's the most influential game of the generation.

Also Demon souls for showing us that the japanse can still make games that arent shit.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Left 4 Dead has probably been the most fun multiplayer of this gen and defines the generation too, I would say, in terms of fundamental use of online, creating coop instead of competition, dlc, storytelling, etc.
  • L4D defined the generation for me, and to make it even more hyperbolic, it defined what I think co-op and asynchronous versus games should be, end of.

The other personal game for me is Demon's Souls, because it cleansed the palette after years of risk free spectacle. Here was a game that spoke to the gamer I used to be when younger, and was beautifully mysterious and obtuse, building a community around cooperation, something i'd never seen before.

But I think the game with the most real influence is probably Halo 3. It basically built on what Halo 2 had already put in place and became the benchmark game for Live integration and handling of the multiplayer community. Millions play CoD, but are the people who caretake the gametypes and map rotations even half as involved as Bungie were with Halo 3? This was a game that truly tried to cater for all tastes, without overwhelming you with options. Sure it meant you might not get to play SWAT for a few months, but it'd come back around. And their implementation of DLC into playlists meant the community never felt massively split. I know they got a helping hand from MS by being their flagship franchise, but still, they just edge out Gears 2 for me as the definitive Xbox Live experience (although that was the first game that I played with you bastards, invite all ahoy!)

I'm not even that much of a Halo fan, but they just got it right. Easy to join games, easy to play what you wanted, the best matchmaking I've come across, although by no means perfect, and wonderful customisation optons. The sequence of 4 beeps starting a Halo match are forever burned into my conscious, and I really don't think any other game laid down such a robust template as Halo. Heck, plenty of big releases today still can't match Bungie's brilliance here. That's why they got a [10], not for the games content, but for the (ugh) platform they created.

‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!