Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That is obscene and distasteful and I love it.

It's like the Steel Battalion controller, utterly ridiculous and completely pointless, but I'm also glad it exists.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Lads and ladies. I need help sourcing parts to build a PC comparible to this, but cheaper obviously, and without the extra fluff like a DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, any extra software. http://www.dell.com/ie/p/xps-8920-desktop/pd?oc=cdx89201&model_id=xps-8920-desktop Prices in Euros, and places that will deliver to Ireland if you please?

Here's some parts for a PC that should be better than that Dell for just a little less, in pounds though and I think you'll have to figure out the shipping.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/C4BDWX

Ok so about the GPU; the midrange market is still a bit fucked right now from the recent Cryptocurrency mining craze, RX 470/570 480/580 and GTX 1060 should all be between £170-£250 now. Unfortunately due to the crazy demand their prices have shot up, with the 1060 6GB cards seeming to start at £280 right now (I wouldn't recommend the 3GB model). GTX 1070's also have inflated prices of £50-100 more over what they should cost. GTX 1080 and 1080Ti however are mostly unaffected, so the best value/performance proposition right now is probably a ~£500 GTX 1080 weirdly. That or the 1050ti which is much weaker but again wsn't useful for crypto mining so can be had for decent prices.

However there will be some new AMD cards coming out very soon, the RX Vega 56 and 64, which will be competing with the 1070 and 1080 respectively. Apparently their hashrates are pretty high though so they may end up being bought up by miners again. But I would strongly consider those if prices are reasonable, as you can use Freesync monitors (adaptive sync is the shit) with them which are much cheaper that their Nvidia G-Sync counterparts. But a 1080 for that price right now is totally a solid purchase I think.

Given the GPU is much more expensive than a 1060 I chose a CPU that is cheaper to make up for it: the Ryzen 5 1600. 6 cores and 12 threads compared to 4/8 on the Dell's 7700, can be overclocked to 3.8-4.0 on all cores, and comes with a decent stock cooler. Incredible value for £179, £90ish cheaper than the 7700... and can be OCed. It's the best bang for the buck CPU out there right now.

Chose 8GB of RAM as that is overpriced right now, that 8 gig kit costs only a few quid less than what I spent on my 16GB kit a year and a bit ago. Blame Brexit and a global DRAM supply shortage. 8 should be plenty as long as you don't go crazy with the multitasking while gaming, stick some more in there once it gets cheaper again.

That 500GB SSD seems to make the most sense to me right now, enough space for the OS and a bunch of slow loading games, and you could just chuck any old HDDs you have lying around or get an inexpensive one for more mass storage.

Case is pretty good and compact for a full ATX. You could change the case and go Micro ATX or Mini ITX if you wanted, just change the mobo appropriately, and check compatibility with the size of the graphics card.

That power supply is amazeballs, basically silent and will probably last a decade or two, one the best investments when buying a PC, that and a good case will see you through many upgrades and builds.

Oh and the operating system... You will probably want Windows 10, OEM keys are £30 I think, but if you swap mobo or something you have to get a new license. Full retail key is £80, for me it was worth it I guess.

The total price that PC Partpicker comes out with is £1130, not including the OS price. Converting from Euros, the Dell costs £1227. I reckon that's pretty good considering the massive GPU upgrade which should allow you to max out pretty much all games at 1440p. I don't know how much cheaper you wanted it though, I'm happy to advise further.
  • Finally upgrading my PC to W10.
    Hold me until it is all over.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    10 is great, apart from the stealth auto updating.
  • I'm enjoying 10. I don't worry about auto updates on most things. Should I with w10.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • ?

• Also, isn't your laptop a monster liv? Surely it'll transition fine.
  • Yeah laptop came as 10. Held off on upgrading the PC (tower) because 3ds Max has had issues and it is my main work software but the last year of updates seem to have sorted it. Had to wait because I hooky Max. I'm not paying £150 per month for broken software.

I can't say I am totally sold on 10 but blanacing my brain between 7,10 and whatever mac is at is not sustainable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I'm enjoying 10. I don't worry about auto updates on most things. Should I with w10.

No, other than it has, on occasion, done it in the middle of a piece of work. The warning/notification was hidden as far as I could tell, resulting in loss of work. I'm sure it's something that could be changed in settings but annoying nonetheless.
  • Oh, fair point. That may have happened to me this morning.
  • Best/any wireless solution for laptop to TV? 

And any wireless options for Controller to laptop?

Wired functions fine, but jesus, cords everywhere. And HDMI cords don't play, the big black fuckers.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Best/any wireless solution for laptop to TV? 

Steam link?
    Facewon wrote:
    Best/any wireless solution for laptop to TV? 

Wired functions fine, but jesus, cords everywhere. And HDMI cords don't play, the big black fuckers.

Xbox one pad and dongle.
  • Steam link sounds dodge. And makes me think we're years away from legit wireless in that sense.
  • Finished another 120mm GPU fan mod last night -

qiEF48R.jpg
    N8sWj8p.jpg

Not pretty, but it goes like stink and stays very quiet while doing so.
  • Steam link is legit.
    You do need fast internet at home, preferably wired. You're intranet needs to be top tier too if you're thinking of going wifi, otherwise say hello to lag. Wired remains the gold standard for now.

Also works with xpad/ps controllers.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah I love the steam link, but I’m using a wired setup.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hmm, I wouldn't trust permanent contacts to cable-ties, Gurt. Is this a thing now? Just keep an eye on temps and away you go?
  • Well I did the exact same thing with my previous card, an R9 390 which was a much hotter running beast. The hottest thing on the card will probably be the VRM or somthing which might get to a little over 100C, but none of the zip-ties are in direct contact. I doubt any of the contact points will be over 70C, and these ties seems to be fine for that. Maybe some cheapo ones might be unsuitable, I don't know.

Temps with the same fan curve dropped 5 degrees, and with much better noise than the stock fans. Plus it's given me some more headroom to work with and I can get the thing really quiet if I want to downclock a little.
  • Straight away nix that 7600k and associated mobo, the old 4 core i5 series have been entirely eclipsed by both the Ryzen R5 and new 6 core Intel Coffee lake chips. i5 8400 might be a good choice, though the fact you can only currently get a Z370 chipset mobo (high end supports overclocking, not needed on the locked 8400 so wasted money kinda..) for now until probably after Christmas when the cheaper motherboards come out is less than ideal.

Another really good option would be these two - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-1600-Desktop-CPU/dp/B06XNRQHG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1508276833&sr=1-1&keywords=ryzen+5+1600

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B350-TOMAHAWK-Socket-Motherboard/dp/B06WVFFXXL/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1508277424&sr=1-1&keywords=msi+b350+tomahawk
  • What kind of games does he like to play? Asking as if it's mostly competetive shooters and other very fast paced stuff then max single core speed will take a slight priority as that's needed for the highest framerates in games. If it's mostly for AAA games at 60Hz then the Ryzen clock speeds will more than suffice.

Edit: Oh and the resolution is important too, and viewing distance; standard desk monitor viewing or TV-Sofa distance. e.g if it was a 4k telly then you can run things at a lower res for the performance and not lose much quality when viewed that far away.
  • The GTX 1060 at that price is really problematic too, it's still jacked up from the cryptocurrency mining gold rush. For that much it's really not great value, it should be about £200 now. I'll see if I can find some good alternatives otherwise I would perhaps recommend waiting a little for the 1070ti to be released which should have a knock-on effect on pricing for the rest of the cards. Used GPUs can be a great idea too if he would be happy to do that.
  • Apart from that the rest of the components should be solid. But I would switch the SSD to a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB which will perform better for the same price. And personally I would try and get an EVGA Supernova G3 power supply as that will have a quieter FDB fan, but either should be solid.
  • Also, fucking brexit...
  • Thanks Gurt, I'll pass that over.
  • What kind of games does he like to play? Asking as if it's mostly competetive shooters and other very fast paced stuff then max single core speed will take a slight priority as that's needed for the highest framerates in games. If it's mostly for AAA games at 60Hz then the Ryzen clock speeds will more than suffice.

Edit: Oh and the resolution is important too, and viewing distance; standard desk monitor viewing or TV-Sofa distance. e.g if it was a 4k telly then you can run things at a lower res for the performance and not lose much quality when viewed that far away.

He's looking to get a PC to play total war warhammer and to break the console cycle. Playing on a 1080p monitor I think.
  • Anyone bought a corsair one? They look quite nifty.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I ordered one, but it got cancelled due to stock issues so I bought something else. I still have dreams about it though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!