Let's make a gaming PC
  • I'll take that index of your hands mate.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Three games plus game pass included there apparently, which is nice. You could tweak things around there a bit, like with storage. At this point though I recommend getting a fast NVME as the boot drive, with enough capacity for a few games. We're very much getting to the point where fast storage becomes important for smooth experience, already I've come across a good number of games that noticeably benefit from being installed on my NVME drive, and that will continue once the new consoles are out as they are equipped with super fast storage also. So have the latest and greatest on the Samsung NVME there and older or lighter stuff on the SATA or an HDD if you put one in there, Steam makes it easy to move games back and forth between drives. That should be a slick little machine.

Awesome stuff man, thank you for that. Saved for reference. And thank you for the advice on drives, hadn't really put much thought into that beyond SSD's. 

You're a gent :)
  • n0face wrote:
    I'll take that index of your hands mate.

It did occur to me. I'd still like to try and send it back so I'll send one more support ticket (so don't get your hopes up). I'm not quite sure if Steam Support are still expecting it because I was communcating with reddit person and Support separately, although Support did say they'd been made aware that one of their colleagues was also looking into it in depth, which is when they sort of just left us to it. 

If however they don't reply to the second ticket I'll give it to you if you buy a 2070 super/used 1080ti or above.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Haha, no worries. I was just chancing my arm, but if it is going spare I'd bite your hands off at that deal. In other news I got a job at a tech start up as a studio tech and I now play with VR for a living. Funny how things turn out.
  • How're you finding the index? I've had a brief go with the headset and the knuckles and I found them both pretty impressive.
  • My 2070 Super has arrived!
  • n0face wrote:
    How're you finding the index? I've had a brief go with the headset and the knuckles and I found them both pretty impressive.

It's great now the issues have been sorted out, and I find I'm loving it even more over time.
  • n0face wrote:
    Haha, no worries. I was just chancing my arm, but if it is going spare I'd bite your hands off at that deal. In other news I got a job at a tech start up as a studio tech and I now play with VR for a living. Funny how things turn out.

Good Lord, well done you. See, I told you that VR would be worthwhile investment!
  • Behold

zdsFaFD.jpg
  • FFS there's no DVI port on the card. Shit buckets, shoulda checked that. Need a bloody adapter for the monitor.
  • n0face wrote:
    How're you finding the index? I've had a brief go with the headset and the knuckles and I found them both pretty impressive.

Should probably address this is more depth. 

The Index does loads of things really well and it's hard to pinpoint what's my favourite thing. The improved fov is a huge deal for immersion when the lenses are dialled right up to your eyeballs but it's the clarity you notice first, or at least I did. Not wearing earphones is also ace - you feel less cocooned inside something and it feels much more natural. The high fps is subtle but it all adds to the sensory comfort of the thing. Low persistence is another bonus. 

VR generally feels like a much more natural experience when using The Index and it's this that's the biggest takeaway I guess, and it's more natural because of all the things I've mentioned and a few I haven't. 

Now it's just a wait for the games, and hopefully that won't be too long. Rumours are that the new Valve game looks absolutely phenomenal using the Source engine. It's nice that graphics are a thing again, like the days of old.
  • The Jetstream 2070 super is so quiet!
  • So, I had this flickering screen issue on my laptop after a w10 update back at the start of summer.
    At first I assumed it was the w10 update so I uninstalled it and rebooted. Didn't work so back to the drawing board.
    Could it be the gpu drivers? Uninstalled and reinstalled the gpu drivers. I even tried uninstalling in safe mode with ddu. That didn't work either and the annoying flicker continued.
    Could it be something in w10 being broken? I opened up a cmd promp in admin mode and ran sfc and dism. Nothing, despite the ocassional screen flicker pc is healthy as fuck.

Then I remembered I had done some spring cleaning on my pc and also upgraded my ram while at it. Could it be a build up of static electricity causing the components to fry in slow motion? So I opened up the case and while attached to the central heating I touched the board (heatsink) slightly for a few seconds to remove traces of built up static. (If I remember correctly from middle school physics class).

Closed the case, booted up windows and .......no more weird screen flicker and distortion. Seriously, wtf??? Knock on wood, hopefully the weird static and flicker is gone for good.

Also, always discharge yourself when handling pc components and innards. Saves you alot of hassle later.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • And after a reboot the occassional flicker returns.
    W10 absolutely sucks arse.
  • Have you knocked the ribbon cable linking to the screen maybe?
  • Unlikely as I can't access the screen ribbon cable from the back flap.
    It's probably w10 hating on my gpu drivers as I've seen plenty of people in forums with the same issue.
  • Dicky ribbon cable or connection into the screen was my first thought reading that too. Some designs of laptops can have issues like that, or it could just be bad luck.
  • Tnx for the replies!
    I'm going to take the laptop apart to investigate this weekend. Will check the ribbon cable and report back.
  • Aye, it could be the connection at either end, hopefully the screen side is accesible and not buried deep the there.

What is the flickering like? Does it happen all the time like on the desktop, or mainly in games?
  • Mostly on the desktop, not in games.
    Which is weird and why I assumed it to be a faulty driver.
    We'll find out soon enough.
  • Wondering if it is for some reason conflicting between the GPU and integrated graphics while on desktop.

Have you done the manufacturer and /or bios updates as well as Windows updates?
  • I was thinking the same thing.
    Everything is up to date, bios, drivers, all of w10.
    I suspect the all of w10 to be the problem tho to be fair.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Further to the RAM discussion a couple days back:

• The official ray tracing for Minecraft looks amazing. It's full path unlike the current mods.

Edit: Jesus it actually simulated a camera obscurer effect and they discovered it accidentally when the devs saw something projected on the wall (7:15).

• LivDiv wrote:
    Wondering if it is for some reason conflicting between the GPU and integrated graphics while on desktop. Have you done the manufacturer and /or bios updates as well as Windows updates?

Can't go back to factory settings.
    Error: there's something wrong with your pc.
    Thanks for that MS, lollers!

That's it, I'm going for the nuclear option and going for a clean reinstall tonight.
    Curent install is a sloppy win10 mbr upgrade from win7 anyways and I always wanted to upgrade to win10 uefi gpt. Here goes nothing.
  • I did a clean install yesterday. If it looks like it's hanging on a certain percentage just leave it. Mine jumped from 7% where it spent a good hour and then suddenly hit 100%.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Godspeed Hunk

Cheers Livdiv.
    As expected, the clean install worked out.
    No weird flickering anymore. Thank God for Rufus and an old spare win10 iso burned to a usb stick. Reinstall took a mere 20-25 mins.

The 1903 upgrade defintely breaks my win10 install. The flicker returns as something in win10 hijacks nVidia optimus in my laptop causing unstable recurrent flicker sometimes even building up to bsod's. Uninstalled 1903 and everything runs fine again. Microsoft has definitely lost the plot on windows updates and stability. Unacceptable.

Fuck it, if MS keeps throwing shit updates at me like this I might give Linux and Ubuntu another go. Or even SteamOS....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Explain the camera obscura thing, sg - I don't get ya.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Explain the camera obscura thing, sg - I don't get ya.

They use machine learning to do the tracing and I guess MS are keen to implement it in Minecraft. It might look pretty cool but how well does it really simulate? That is, how far does the ML effect travel? It's not really tracing every path obvs, but it's simulating the effect and that vid shows a through-the-wall inverted heart that suggests it's doing a very ggod simulation indeed (of real life stuff that wasn't expected back in the day but was discovered though observation in 1700 or something). I know half the speil with the new GTX cards is to replicate non-field of view effects but I thought that bit at 7:15 was impressive. It won't be long before simulations like this discover irl phenomena first.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!