Let's make a gaming PC
  • yeah. sorry, didn't mean to diss you for the useful info.
    i was just being arsey, triggered by the video itself, which i turned off as soon as i saw it was 17 minutes long.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • My SSD is the next thing I'll upgrade. It's only 120GB and I could do with triple that due to Stream oddities. I like SteamVR to be on the HDD which is fine being only 2 gigs or so, but the workshop content for it, which needs to be on the same drive, gets huge real fast.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Get a nice NVME drive if you have the funds.
  • There were some nvme drives that seemed to be cracking prices on amazon recently, then i realised my mobo only has the older connector style
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ok, going to do a respec this weekend. Would appreciate responses (particularly gurt) but is there a specific area I should focus on? A lot of chat around GfX
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR
    I can't vouch for the make, but £110 for 1TB and some very big numbers...I'm sure something similar was about 80 the other week (though possibly it was a 500Gb)
  • Get anything that'll play RTX Minecraft/Quake @ 60fps. RTX is legit beautiful.
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR
    I can't vouch for the make, but £110 for 1TB and some very big numbers...I'm sure something similar was about 80 the other week (though possibly it was a 500Gb)

Yeah they are great value and apparently it's a fairly reliable make. They seem way cheaper than anyone else and all get good reviews.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Ok, going to do a respec this weekend. Would appreciate responses (particularly gurt) but is there a specific area I should focus on? A lot of chat around GfX

If I'm understanding you I think you're not sure at what level to spec the thing, so that it's capable enough for your needs? Here's how I would break it down:

What games do you want to play on it? If it's just general modern AAA and indie stuff then it's easy to do a general recommendation, if there's like a particular title or series that you are going to primarily be spending time in then you want something with the best performance for that specific thing. VR can be a factor too.

What monitor resolution and refresh rate are you aiming for? 1080P is a piece of piss and still looks great IMO, 4K can work on lower end hardware with some upscaling and tweaks, but is more of a faff than just having a big expensive slab of silicon to brute force it. If you are fine with just 60Hz then you don't need a really fast CPU.

Is the computer going to be used for other stuff? Such as video editing, 3D modelling, music production etc etc. Consider if you need a shitload of USB ports for peripherals, like I do.

Do you want the machine to be particularly quiet? Certain CPUs and GPUs are more power efficent than others, and coupled with good coolers can be very quiet even at full load.

The 2060 in the build pic on the previous page is pretty decent, look through these charts to get an idea of what performance to expect - https://www.techspot.com/review/1781-geforce-rtx-2060-mega-benchmark/ Other review sites such as Gamers Nexus might have differing results and games on test. If you want more oomph then get a faster card, if that's overkill then maybe go for a lower end card but consider having a little bit of a future buffer as new fancy games come out.
  • I just found out that a comment I made on a recent RPS PC build guide article has been edited, a line was deleted and no reason was given.

I originally said -
    You can get a 3000MHz 8GB kit of RAM for £1 less than the 2400 kit, and will have a substantial effect on performance. Please update the article.

The rest is pretty good.

The line "Please update the article." has been removed at some point. The build there still has 2400MHz RAM listed, with a little (presumably affiliate) amazon link. With faster clocked RAM at the same price or cheaper recommending 2400 is just poor advice, especially for Ryzen CPUs. I wasn't really rude or owt, they could have just ignored it but clearly someone took it personally.

It smacks a bit of the Verge PC build video debacle a while back, except they just shut the whole comments section down, to my knowledge they didn't go and edit any comments.

Anyway I'm pretty shocked at this. I'd rather a comment be deleted than ghost edited like that, makes my skin crawl.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gurt - thank you for all this.

In terms of games, I'm looking to future proof myself, so I am looking for 4k and 60fps on most modern games. I do want it to be quiet, definitely that is a thing we will need.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    2080 TI then mate if you're wanting the full shebang
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nice decent 2k plus rig
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Gurt - thank you for all this. In terms of games, I'm looking to future proof myself, so I am looking for 4k and 60fps on most modern games. I do want it to be quiet, definitely that is a thing we will need.

Yeah the build on the previous page should be fine, you might just want a more powerful graphics card. 2060 Super / 2070 Super / 2080 Super / 2080 Ti are your options, just go for what you can afford. Probably only at 2080 levels will you be able to run most new games with ultra settings at 4K and mostly hold 60FPS, but I wouldn't worry too much about that as you will often want to do stuff like running the game at a lower resolution then using the sharpening stuff to make it look... sharper. I can give advice on how to get more performance when the time comes if you like. The more you spend on the GPU the less faff and settings fiddling it will take to get good framerates at 4K though. If you can afford it the 2070 Super is likely the best bang for the buck, or the 2080 Super. 2080 Ti seems excessive.

Also if you want more quietness then maybe go for a case like the Fractal Define C, if you don't care about a side window then go for the standard version, and if you do want to see the lightshow then go for the tempered glass one.
  • $400 for wheels and people say there is no such thing as Apple tax.
  • $999 monitor stand.
  • This guy has the same intonation as the Grubbs from Stanger's Wrath :-)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay, I've re gone back. Somehow my pc is now £1500
  • What have you gone for?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's the graphics card that's messing me. Mentioned that a 2080 is what I should be future proofing with, but I'm now intrigued by Ryzens. Thoughts?
  • Just do this -

vsFjXRI.jpg

But swap the GPU for whatever you like, the 2080 or 2080 Super should last you a good long time if you can afford that. I would also change the case to something nicer like the Fractal Define C with or without a tempered glass window if you like that sort of thing. And either just go with the 6 core Ryzen 3600 CPU or the 8 core 3700X, either will be fine for a good while, there might be the odd game in the future that will really want 8 cores.

CPUs will improve in performance and drop in price though, so if there ever was a situation where you needed more cores for some reason then you could quite easily upgrade, if you don't want to worry about that then maybe the 3700X is a good idea. Won't make a jot of difference in the here and now though, if you are just aiming for 60FPS.

Also consider more SSD storage for faster game loading, but I would just look out for good deals when you come to needing more and plug it in yourself, it's dead easy. Be sure to go with an NVME SSD such as that Samsung though when you order, will make for a nice fast reliable boot drive. There are cheaper NVME SSDs but they can either be much slower or have issues when the capacity starts to fill up, the 970 Evo is a good one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ok let's give that a shot
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Still comes out about £1450. For that it's a difference of like £3 a month.
  • Me and my kid built a PC last night slightly sozzled and amazingly it only fucking works.
    Thanks to Gurt for your recommendations the lad is right chuffed and at the moment trying ori and minecraft.
    He is keen to try "stress testing" overclocking and all other kindsa shit i don't know about now.

• Fantastic :)

I've done a fair of overclocking and stress testing stuff, so if there's any questions ask away and I'm sure I can be of some assistance. Actually one thing I would recommend to do with any new build is check the thermals using HWiNFO, sensors mode and right click stuff to bring up a bunch of graphs, good geeky fun ;) 

Then get Cinebench R20 and run the CPU test to get an idea of how the cooling is holding up. I can't imagine there would be any issues if you've plonked down the cooler with the pre-applied paste, but it's good practice. If you have two monitors you can put up HWiNFO with all the graphs on the second one while you play games, good for testing overclocks.

Modern overclocking is generally very safe, there's good safeguards built in. The only thing you do need to be careful of is voltages, and not exceeding a recommended max voltage for long periods. It's nothing too scary really, each processor architecture will have a couple of these voltages to watch out for and the information is out there, though there is some vague guesswork info that can lead you astray. It's a little technical and specific so if anyone wants to know about it give me a shout.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    H where is the 2080 TI
  • Cheers we'll check it out
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sorry, I'm getting really fiddly. What's the RX 5500 like? I feel I'm at the end point but it's the geforce Vs amd bit that's fucking me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!