Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've told them I'll take more RAM, or more NVMe disk space, or the better MoBo Gurt says above - otherwise i'm offski.  We'll see what happens ;p
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    G'wan lad
  • Probably some BIOS weirdness, try resetting to defaults or updating it the latest.

Yep, that fixed it. Boots up faster too.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • 1. We will develop and enable our motherboard partners with the code to support “Zen 3”-based processors in select beta BIOSes for AMD B450 and X470 motherboards.

2. These optional BIOS updates will disable support for many existing AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor models to make the necessary ROM space available.

3. The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.

4. To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.

5. Timing and availability of the BIOS updates will vary and may not immediately coincide with the availability of the first “Zen 3”-based processors.

6. This is the final pathway AMD can enable for 400 Series motherboards to add new CPU support. CPU releases beyond “Zen 3” will require a newer motherboard.

7. AMD continues to recommend that customers choose an AMD 500 Series motherboard for the best performance and features with our new CPUs.
  • Woohoo, it worked!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My attempt at hardball was unsuccessful.  BUT IT'S REACHED THE ENFIELD DEPOT, ARRIVING THIS MORNING, AND DOES HAVE A "BETTER" CHASSIS!

Get hyped, get rekt, or gtfo.
  • I cleaned out the dust from my PC the other day using a proper air compressor rather than just canned air.
    The dust that came out of the heat sink on my water cooler was insane, full on smoke bomb.

I have just hooked it back up and it seems much happier now.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Classy
  • Recall for some Corsair SFF power supplies, might affect the Corsair One prebuilts also - https://www.anandtech.com/show/15829/corsair-sf-series-psu-recall
  • Budget: I dunno, you tell me. I can't really bring myself to exceed a grand though. I suppose I'll want to eventually upgrade it though.

Aesthetics - don't care. Ideally I would like it to look like a ps5 though, cos that is sexy. But I'm happy enough for it too look atrocious like the newbone.

I want it to play:

- FM fast
    - Civilisation / turn based stuff fast
    - destiny 2 fast
    - Cyberpunk well enough.

One thing to note, I don't need the res to be higher than my screen, which I don't want to change. It's a 1ms 1080p 144 Hz screen. So I don't need 4k or owt.

Ive almost pulled the trigger on any number of pcs on HotUKDeals, but really I have no idea, I read the comments and basically give up. They've tended to be between 600 and 800 quid. I can be talked up to a grand on the basis that I could maybe play half life alyx in a year or two for a small upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, I don't want to build it. But if necessary I have a friend who could do it for me.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Oh yeah, I want to play that investigator RPG game as well, I forget what it's called. I'm tired of paying for stuff on switch.
  • Disco Elysium?

Yes, thank you

• Build it around a RX 5700.
  • Maybers an RX 5700 XT.
  • Budget: I dunno, you tell me. I can't really bring myself to exceed a grand though. I suppose I'll want to eventually upgrade it though. Aesthetics - don't care. Ideally I would like it to look like a ps5 though, cos that is sexy. But I'm happy enough for it too look atrocious like the newbone. I want it to play: - FM fast - Civilisation / turn based stuff fast - destiny 2 fast - Cyberpunk well enough. One thing to note, I don't need the res to be higher than my screen, which I don't want to change. It's a 1ms 1080p 144 Hz screen. So I don't need 4k or owt. Ive almost pulled the trigger on any number of pcs on HotUKDeals, but really I have no idea, I read the comments and basically give up. They've tended to be between 600 and 800 quid. I can be talked up to a grand on the basis that I could maybe play half life alyx in a year or two for a small upgrade. Hope that helps. Oh yeah, I don't want to build it. But if necessary I have a friend who could do it for me.

Alrighty I'll put a little list together, just under a grand will can get you a pretty great system to be getting on with and upgrading over time. I would always recommend DIY, most prebuilts are riddled with poor component choices and are bad value unless you spend an arm and a leg.

Just to get an idea of how important box size is for you, here is Speedhaak's build in a micro-ATX form factor case that he posted some pages back -

6Nd5im7.jpg

Quite a bit bigger than a typical console clearly, but a case like that will have great cooling and should be pretty quiet. There is mini-ITX which can be a bit smaller, but the really thin cases can be trickier to build in and can be compromised for cooling and noise. I have a very big full ATX case that lives under my desk, so it's not much of an issue, if you wanted it to sit up on a surface or in some kind of unit or shelf then size will probably be more of a concern.
  • Here you are -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£147.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£60.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£99.28 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  (£489.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£96.99 @ Currys PC World)
    Total: £1060.10
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-02 14:35 BST+0100

A little over budget, you could swap out the 2070 Super for a 2060 Super or 5700 XT, Nvidia has raytracing gubbins if that matters to you, AMD doesn't yet, they might be releasing a card with that by the end of the year I would guess. The case is also a standard badger pick, there might be something cheaper or fancier looking that you would prefer, but Fractal cases are typically solid in terms of ease of build, cooling, and quietness. I wouldn't recommend changing much else there, all that should give a great experience on par or better with the next consoles.

That SSD should be on par with that in the Xbox Series X's, 500GB isn't much though so you may want to augment it with a cheap SATA SSD or old HDD. Storage is an easy upgrade later on anyways. There are other brands of NVME SSDs, but performance varies a lot and the Samsungs are just easy for me to recommend.
  • And build it yourself. Then you can upgrade confidently. It's just adult Lego.
  • + windows, presumably.
  • Oh yeah forgot to mention that, some don't bother with buying it, apparently you don't have to and it will keep working. Think there's just some personalisation stuff that you can't do. I bought a copy ages ago because I didn't want any kind of hassle.
  • Yeah just use it unlicenced, or buy a cheap key afterwards.
  • Thanks chaps. Cost of a holiday I guess. Gonna keep an eye out, pull the trigger in July/August
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Try and 1tb the drive if you can stretch to it. I thought 500gb would be enough, but it fills up fast.

I've been toying with selling my laptop and getting a desktop as I don't need the portability anymore. This looks like a nice setup.
  • I’m very happy with my 2060 super, it basically eats everything up because I’m on 144hz/1080p too. I’d say that’s adequate rather than however much more the 2070 super is. Different if you want 4K.
  • Gurt, that's a nice build, but agree that 500gb will be a pain, and why not go with the evo plus instead of the evo? It's almost the same price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MFBLN7K?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1

2070S is a hard sell given we're expecting new cards in 2 months, but that's maybe more for someone that is interested in selling and upgrading. I don't know.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is two months when the AMD RDNA2 cards are hitting?
  • The rumour is that the next gen Nvidia cards are going into mass production in August, which means a September release.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!