Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Gonna look into upgrading storage soon. Any point in having to two NVMEs drives? Or should I keep that as my boot and just get a large SSD for games?
  • Hmm up to you really, there are some slight benefits to NVME for some games, maybe for new stuff coming out in the coming years. Mostly though SATA is just fine. You may want to look into Nvidia Direct Storage stuff too, as that will need PCIE IIRC.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Cool. For the time being it's just something to dump games into so I don't have to keep installing and uninstalling stuff. My internet isn't the greatest at the new gaff so having to redownload 100gb+ games is a slog...
  • Yeah SATA is plenty fast enough for that, much much quicker than a HDD. Just be sure to get a decent one with a DRAM cache and such, as some of the really cheapo SSDs can slow to a crawl when they get filled to near capacity.
  • Quick question lads, what is the difference between Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER Gaming OC 6G and Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6G. All I can see is the gaming has rgb and a 3rd fan?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Probably bvery little, but always go for the quietest one.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm struggling actually. I sold my ps 4 pro and have no ps5 pre-order yet.....I'm wondering if I actually need a gaming pc(all I need is that card) AND a ps5. I'm conflicted.
    I'll definitely pick up a ps5 because of the amount of games I already own. But I'd love to play a bit of halo and gears again......
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Yeah, 2 more cores, probably uses much less power (so generates less heat), and with an X570 motherboard you get access to PCIE 4.0 which can be useful for getting the most performance with 4.0 SSDs, and perhaps GPUs in some cases. It's always worth waiting until proper reviews come out for a really accurate picture of just how the performance is, but it looks like they've made some smart architectural changes this time around to improve performance and latency, and the IPC and clock speeds are improved once again over 3rd gen.

so.....not very hopeful that in the mad rush Ill be able to get a 3070 card and a 5900x cpu......so here is the back up build idea if those components are a wait till next year and I get on with things as soon as.......

I’d like a 2080 super really but they are pretty pricey considering the new 3070 price so if the 2070 will do for gaming on ultra in 1440p in most cases and on high while streaming / recording that willl be fine - what do you think?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dilberry/saved/sVRhkL
    rest less
  • The part list is set to private so I can’t see it!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Stop trying to look at Louie's private parts!
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    hahahahaha.hang on.......

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nybdCz
    rest less
  • Louiecat wrote:
    I’d like a 2080 super really but they are pretty pricey considering the new 3070 price so if the 2070 will do for gaming on ultra in 1440p in most cases and on high while streaming / recording that willl be fine - what do you think? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dilberry/saved/sVRhkL

Yeah should be more than fine. You should be able to get a hold of a 5000 series Ryzen if you put in a preorder when they go live, maybe give some place a call to see if you can ensure that you can nab one. Depends on how soon you want to get this built I guess, 3000 series is still excellent anyway..

You need a very powerful card like a 3080 to see much difference between CPUs, and at a high resolution/settings the game will often be GPU bottlenecked anyway. The 5000 series Ryzens seem to be on par with Intel for high end gaming, 3000 is still very good though for a mixed use system.
  • Louiecat wrote:
    hahahahaha.hang on....... https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nybdCz

I wouldn't bother with a liquid cooler. Noisy things.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fully stable undervolt/clock on my 2080ti. 806mV @ 1740MHz

23cb895e4cf1c3b1f89c047183fad028.png

PC now runs 14 degrees cooler and I've lost like 3fps which makes zero difference.
  • Louiecat wrote:

I would very much recommend a big air cooler over a liquid AIO. I've previously been able to compare a good 280mm liquid cooler against my Noctua D15s air cooler and the Noctua won hands down in terms of noise/temp for my usage.

Liquid coolers have some benefits for short burst type workloads, and the 360mm variants in particular do offer the best cooling but are only really necessary with the hottest CPUs (Intel's top end). There is a 'cool' factor I guess with them too and perhaps an aesthetic advantage so if that's important to you then go for it. Those things don't outweight the significant downsides though IMO -

They have to be mounted in a particular way to avoid long-term issues, and they all have like a 5-year lifespan before liquid evaporation and pump problems. I think they tend to be noisier due to the turbulence for air to get through the fins, plus they have to be mounted near the outside of the case rather than sitting in the middle of the internal space like with an air cooler, plus the little pump motors have to spin at a high rate which means there can be whine. Big air coolers cool better than 240mm, about as good as a 280mm, and worse than a 360mm but not much really requires such a crazy cooler. Air coolers won't fail either, just the fans after a very long time and even then the cooler will still work passively. If a liquid cooler pump fails then the system will probably immediately overheat and shut down to prevent damage.

Just massively overhyped and overused compared to big air coolers IMO, overpriced too. Get a Noctua D15 or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or similar and put the £40+ savings towards more/better RAM, better SSD, etc. Ryzen runs relatively much cooler than Intel so big air is fine.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Louiecat wrote:
    I would very much recommend a big air cooler over a liquid AIO. I've previously been able to compare a good 280mm liquid cooler against my Noctua D15s air cooler and the Noctua won hands down in terms of noise/temp for my usage. Liquid coolers have some benefits for short burst type workloads, and the 360mm variants in particular do offer the best cooling but are only really necessary with the hottest CPUs (Intel's top end). There is a 'cool' factor I guess with them too and perhaps an aesthetic advantage so if that's important to you then go for it. Those things don't outweight the significant downsides though IMO - They have to be mounted in a particular way to avoid long-term issues, and they all have like a 5-year lifespan before liquid evaporation and pump problems. I think they tend to be noisier due to the turbulence for air to get through the fins, plus they have to be mounted near the outside of the case rather than sitting in the middle of the internal space like with an air cooler, plus the little pump motors have to spin at a high rate which means there can be whine. Big air coolers cool better than 240mm, about as good as a 280mm, and worse than a 360mm but not much really requires such a crazy cooler. Air coolers won't fail either, just the fans after a very long time and even then the cooler will still work passively. If a liquid cooler pump fails then the system will probably immediately overheat and shut down to prevent damage. Just massively overhyped and overused compared to big air coolers IMO, overpriced too. Get a Noctua D15 or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or similar and put the £40+ savings towards more/better RAM, better SSD, etc. Ryzen runs relatively much cooler than Intel so big air is fine.

My son who is helping me on this will love you. He did a build just recently with a liquid system and hated the faff.
    If I did end up going high end intel can I still get away with a big air?
    rest less
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    also will a motherboard that supports the 3000 series support the new 5000 if i decided to upgrade next year and not try to secure a 5900x now? I guess so right?
    rest less
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    [justify]Bought a 1TB Samsung 870 QVO anyway, should keep me going for awhile. [/justify]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    edit: nvm wrong ting
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    [justify]Bought a 1TB Samsung 870 QVO anyway, should keep me going for awhile. [/justify]

Because you need it for work!

#justify
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Well that too ;) Well actually, .ai files do take up a lot of space :D
  • Louiecat wrote:
    also will a motherboard that supports the 3000 series support the new 5000 if i decided to upgrade next year and not try to secure a 5900x now? I guess so right?

X570/B550 motherboards yes, X470/B450 mobos should also be supported but will need a BIOS update that will be released at some point.

I would just get an X570 board that has the ability to update the BIOS via USB, just to be safe. Most high end boards should have that feature by now.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Louiecat wrote:

X570/B550 motherboards yes, X470/B450 mobos should also be supported but will need a BIOS update that will be released at some point.

I would just get an X570 board that has the ability to update the BIOS via USB, just to be safe. Most high end boards should have that feature by now.

Winner. Thanks!

rest less
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    latest on the streaming project and new build ideas - I have a build outline for a single PC set up as yo have seen above, but have been thinking that for now it would be MUCH cheaper as a starter to upgrade my gtx970 with a 2070 super and stick with my i78700 for the moment - 

all I need is to be able to game for pleasure in full 1440p on ultra settings for most games and when streaming and chatting 1080p and 60fps........been reading that the i7 will match pretty well with the 2070..........money saved means I could spend on improving the studio and maybe buy a capture card for using a console with the upgraded PC....

new build can then wait a few months....

would REALLY appreciate thoughts on the i7 and the 2070 super....
    rest less
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    well!  decided to forgo the wait for new releases get going. If the project goes well over the next few months I can always upgrade the CPU/GPU either or both to the 3000 series and the new AMDs but, this build should do wonders :

Ryzen 3900x
    2070 super
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
    2tb barracuda 
    1tb ssd 
    32gb ddr4
    750w power supply
    NZXT H710i case (yeah for the pretty lights)

my son and I should be starting the build this weekend and I’m very excited. Have put my series x preorder on hold for now and am going to enjoy this! :)

streaming fictional narratives with some animated backdrops, straight chat and gaming is the aim.....also the video production and graphics which I was able to achieve on the old gtx970 and i78700 should be a lot quicker.

Going to keep the old rig as a possible streaming single in the future but for now I’m raring to go.
    rest less
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Louiecat wrote:
    I’d like a 2080 super really but they are pretty pricey considering the new 3070 price so if the 2070 will do for gaming on ultra in 1440p in most cases and on high while streaming / recording that willl be fine - what do you think? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dilberry/saved/sVRhkL
    Yeah should be more than fine. You should be able to get a hold of a 5000 series Ryzen if you put in a preorder when they go live, maybe give some place a call to see if you can ensure that you can nab one. Depends on how soon you want to get this built I guess, 3000 series is still excellent anyway.. You need a very powerful card like a 3080 to see much difference between CPUs, and at a high resolution/settings the game will often be GPU bottlenecked anyway. The 5000 series Ryzens seem to be on par with Intel for high end gaming, 3000 is still very good though for a mixed use system.
    Louiecat wrote:
    Yeah should be more than fine. You should be able to get a hold of a 5000 series Ryzen if you put in a preorder when they go live, maybe give some place a call to see if you can ensure that you can nab one. Depends on how soon you want to get this built I guess, 3000 series is still excellent anyway.. You need a very powerful card like a 3080 to see much difference between CPUs, and at a high resolution/settings the game will often be GPU bottlenecked anyway. The 5000 series Ryzens seem to be on par with Intel for high end gaming, 3000 is still very good though for a mixed use system.

Thanks for all your advice @GurtTractor. This is the way I went!
    rest less
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've just installed a nice shiny new nvme drive, a new 2tb ssd, updated my bios and whacked a nice clean install of Windows on there. All without too much of a hitch (other than forgetting to get all my drivers on a USB so I didnt have to lug the pc downstairs to plug in an ethernet cable). It's running super quick now. All I need to do now is figure out what I want to reinstall and what I want to save from the old drive.

It's not half as difficult as I imagined it would be.
  • Yeah I did it a couple of months back. Those cards are so tiny.
  • Yeah, me too - they’re great, and was an easy job. I’m slightly concerned though that the second slot I used is a bit too close to where a larger graphics card would go now. But we’ll see. All part of the PC fun.
  • Keep in mind that some slots can run drives at a lower max speed than others. Like on mine the second lower m.2 slot only runs at PCIE gen 2 or something so I get like 2/3 the max throughput if I were to use that for an NVME drive. Depends on the mobo, check the specification page.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!