Just given up on...
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps could be quite a thing if they take feedback + Hollow Knight's awesomeness on board. Along with RDR2 and Trials it's topping my want list.
  • Playing some more Hollow Knight this morning, made steady progress and enjoyed it. So I don't know.
  • Deaths gambit.

How to steal from souls and get it ALL WRONG.

It looks pretty, but there's so much wrong with how the screens are divided up. It's just a disjointed mess, with terrible signposting.

Couple that with poor jump mechanics, and a ridiculously short stamina bar that stops you doing anything when its at zero and you have a problem. Structure around saves and enemies and level ups is exactly dark souls, but it lacks the learning and fairness aspect.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So you didn't git gud?
  • Lol.
  • Resi 7
    Didn't get very far in either.
    I saw through the cracks/read between the lines and picked up on the game elements.

I pressed all the buttons at the start and none of them produced an attack, ipso facto if I got injured or died it was meant to happen, ruined all immersion.

When I got a gun shooting someone in the head only injured them when it was time to shoot them in the head, again, immersion broken.

Ran about hammering the A button while the dad chased me, if he caught me it just reset the game back to a minute before hand.

No consequences for anything that happened to me so no real reason to threat. If immersed I am sure it is great but a peak behind the curtain and it all falls down.
  • Oh hi dude.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My PSN is going to expire early in Jan so I thought I'd better get on with some of the free plus games before they are gone.

Beyond: Two Souls

What a tedious, pretentious wank of a game.  The QTE stuff is utter bollocks.  It doesn't add anything and detracts massively.  Just let me press x and move on.

The only marginal fun was getting to smash things up and there wasn't enough of that.

Patience ran out on the train - so 4th or 5th mini-game.

Fucking dreadful.

(I didn't like it ;-) )
  • I only got about half an hour into that. Just really couldn't be bothered with it.
  • I genuinely apologise if this comes across as trolling, but what did you expect?
  • Some form of game.  Is your comment aimed at the state of the PSN free games or the game style?
  • Not the game style per se, but a game from that developer, that director. He doesn’t make games. Pretentious wank with arbitrary, nominal, and yet also poorly implemented interaction is what they do.
  • That is true. You play one Cage and you should know what to expect from all others. I don't mind them though as they're some of the only games to have actual consequences to failure. I'll play Detroit at some point.

I'm close to giving up on Night in the Woods on Switch. I really liked it at the start but it just hasn't broken from the same cycle it started with and so it's started to get a bit tedious. It keeps hitting some really good story notes every now and then though so I might stick by it. I've started ignoring all the side story stuff to make it quicker.
  • Andy wrote:
    Not the game style per se, but a game from that developer, that director. He doesn’t make games. Pretentious wank with arbitrary, nominal, and yet also poorly implemented interaction is what they do.
    That probably is what I expected, but I'll try anything once, I guess. Well, if I'm not paying for it.

I did think the Detroit demo was decent though. Not enough to buy the game, like.
  • Just looked up the game's designer.  I did play about 5 mins of the Heavy Rain demo aeons ago - didn't realise this was the same thing.
    I was thinking it was a game - probably got confused with Ellen Page and The Last of Us, or something.

According to Wiki there have only been 4 games in 14 years - so that's a good thing.

But what a waste.  If it'd allowed me to treat the game as a walking simulator and/or press x at each qte I'd have stayed and watched the story.  As it is, it alienated me from even doing that - and that's where the content is.
  • Immortal unchained.

This was always going to happen. But I'm annoyed it happened so soon.

I'd be interested in a making of. Or at least hearing where and how they got funding, because I wanna guess all the work went into the tute area, the nexus and the first level. It's all the proof of concept and builds quite nicely.

After that, the fall from grace is quite a fucking thing. I can't do just to how poor the opening of the next 2 levels are. It's staggering.

There's no black knight fear, there's just how are you going to shaft me this time fear.

Level layout was a highlight, but enemies and what they did within that layout was a lowlight.

Third area uses purple in a way that should be illegal in 2018.

Its like they played dark souls and what they got out of it was that the archers are the way to go.

Jesus.
  • Started playing Moot&Muzzy games?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Seraph (PC)

An indie 2d platform/shooter game.  It's main gimmick is that you don't have to aim your shots, you just shoot and the aiming automatically targets enemies.  I quite liked that, and controlling your character is pretty standard but feels fine (you've got a double jump, an invincibility dash, special moves with a cooldown metre etc).

I got a bit sick of it though.  Levels are procedurally generated and they all looked and felt the same to me.  Winning conditions are 'follow the arrow to this monster and kill it' or 'blow this thing up', then you exit.  There's levelling up and crafting which i did not enjoy.  There's an option to skip all story elements which I took (as I tried them in the tutoral, and it was just text boxes popping up which weren't very interesting and got in the way of the action), but maybe I'm missing part of the fun there.

Anyway, it seemed just okay and didn't capture my attention, time to move on.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

• lol.
     I gave up on the PC version. As they say, it runs great on PC.

But the UI is a mess. There's some really really cool ideas, but it's so poor at explaining what's happening.  You can do all manner of forging/crafting of spells, but it's completely counter-intuitive about when you've actually done something, when you've equipped it, where it's going etc. I managed to upgrade my main fire spell to something that looked spectacular, but didn't deal damage. 

I gave up wrestling with it.

Almost, but not quite.
  • Thronebreaker on PC - Have been really enjoying it, but I’ve been having a bunch of technical issues, including some fairly regular freeze crashes that require a reset.  Bit of a hassle.

The game pad layout/interface is pretty average too, so hopefully CDPR issue some kind of enhanced edition later on, as they often do.  I’ll wait a while before revisiting in any case.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Ooh. Good to know. It's on a list.
  • Bloodborne. I completed Dark Souls, so probably could finish this, though crazily even defeating the Cleric Beast puts me in the minority of players.

If they let you pause in Offline mode I might have ploughed on but life is full of distractions and responsibilities.

It's too hard, too grim and too grey and I'm already losing enough hair.
  • It’s worth losing a few strands over, stick with it!
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Blossom Tales on Switch. It’s fun for the first few hours but there’s enough flaws that creep in to make it frustrating. Some of the boss battles in particular are just annoying rather than challenging.

The mechanics are solid but there’s a few design decisions that seem to be included because that’s how it was in classic zeldas but where there may have been legitimate reasons for that 25-30 years ago it’s another annoying aspect now.
  • Thronebreaker on PC - Have been really enjoying it, but I’ve been having a bunch of technical issues, including some fairly regular freeze crashes that require a reset.  Bit of a hassle. The game pad layout/interface is pretty average too, so hopefully CDPR issue some kind of enhanced edition later on, as they often do.  I’ll wait a while before revisiting in any case.
    I enjoyed it for a bit but it gets quite samey - story is annoying as well
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    It’s worth losing a few strands over, stick with it!

That was nearly enough for me to reinstall it again, when you're in the zone it's amazing... must resist.
  • How far did you get out of interest?

• Ah. I’d stick with it and risk an egg in the nest, wait til you get to Rooney.

Seriously though, it gets a lot better as you get better at the game, the story/world design is the best FROM has ever done

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!