Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Yes, yes indigo.  Well done, it's definitely one of the toughest parts of the game but can be simple with a bit of planning (which I just wrote a big post about but now can't use goddammit).
    It pretty much amounted to "buy Typhoon Kick, use God Hand, high five!".

Also the following combo is really really useful:  square, square, guard break, up-dodge.  Repeat.  The up-dodge cancels the guard break's recovery so they can't get a hit in.  Using up-dodge like that is great for other moves too...
    And a few other things which aren't made obvious:  pressing up+triangle while next to a downed enemy does a chargeable kick which starts a juggle, pressing back+triangle on a juggled enemy (needs to be quite high) does a shoryuken, forward+triangle on a juggled enemy does a jumping kick which launches them away (useful to get people over barriers, off cliffs etc).
    The most useful to remember though is that when you get up from being knocked down you have a brief period of invincibility.  This can be extended by using a charge move as soon as you get up.  You'll be completely invincible during the charge so it's a great way of regaining your footing in a fight as you can get a fully charged uppercut out into launch/whatever.

Sorry if this is overloading you with information or if you already know this stuff.  It took me a couple of playthroughs to figure it all out and thought it would help save you money on controllers and I love this game oh my god it's so awesome.
  • How stupid of me to come in here thinking @dubs had quit something...
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Play the AD&D Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games you nobjockeys.
    I'm a bit late to this, but YES.

Can't leave Torment out though. Best RPG.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Can't leave Torment out though. Best RPG.

Must resist urge to say this isn't the Book review thread.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Yes, yes indigo.  Well done, it's definitely one of the toughest parts of the game but can be simple with a bit of planning (which I just wrote a big post about but now can't use goddammit). It pretty much amounted to "buy Typhoon Kick, use God Hand, high five!". Also the following combo is really really useful:  square, square, guard break, up-dodge.  Repeat.  The up-dodge cancels the guard break's recovery so they can't get a hit in.  Using up-dodge like that is great for other moves too... And a few other things which aren't made obvious:  pressing up+triangle while next to a downed enemy does a chargeable kick which starts a juggle, pressing back+triangle on a juggled enemy (needs to be quite high) does a shoryuken, forward+triangle on a juggled enemy does a jumping kick which launches them away (useful to get people over barriers, off cliffs etc). The most useful to remember though is that when you get up from being knocked down you have a brief period of invincibility.  This can be extended by using a charge move as soon as you get up.  You'll be completely invincible during the charge so it's a great way of regaining your footing in a fight as you can get a fully charged uppercut out into launch/whatever. Sorry if this is overloading you with information or if you already know this stuff.  It took me a couple of playthroughs to figure it all out and thought it would help save you money on controllers and I love this game oh my god it's so awesome.

Cheers Dubs, some really useful stuff here. I think it's starting to click a bit more for me now, so hopefully my pad'll make it through this game in one piece :)

Fairly certain that I'll have to face that midget squad again at some point, so my aim is to become a proper God-Hand wielding, all out attacking loon by then.
  • God Hand (Again!)

The Last boss is a total badger. I've been getting killed by it for the past hour while it repeats it's obnoxious 'Your so Pathetic' mantra over & over again. The annoyance:fun ratio is weighted way too heavily on the former for me. Don't think I'll even bother you-tubing the end tbh.
  • Shame that, I'd enjoyed your updates on the Currently Playing thread. Made me think about getting it, albeit briefly :).
  • It's definitely worth a punt at the PSN price, I've not played anything quite like it. I'm a pretty average gamer, and I think most of my frustrations with it came from being out of my depth. If your a more skillful player you'd probably love it.
  • My skillz peaked during the hazy days of Dreamcast beat em up / shoot em up goodness, sad to say.

I do regret missing out on it first time round though so you may have just talked me into it, and I'd set my heart on getting Einhander and Dodonpachi from the Japanese PSN store this weekend. Decisions.
  • Remember me.
    My good god. My god. What an absolute streaming puke of shit. 

I got this off the back of Edge magazine giving it a desirable 8 and a glowing review.

Edge subscription cancelled.

Terrible game.
  • Got Him! Getting those last few hits in was such a rush that I can almost forgive Mikami for coming up with such a horrible boss to begin with :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message

Due to one review you disagreed with?!

In other news, Crimson Shroud is getting close to being listed in the "fuck it, I have better things to do" category. I'm only in the second chapter and there's a group of low ranking monsters that can wipe out my entire party, should they so desire, within two turns. Unless I'm rocking maximum health, anyone in my party can be one-shotted by the Minotaur. Given that there's no leveling (your abilities are all based on your equipped loot) I'm not entirely sure what I'm meant to do.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Remember me. My good god. My god. What an absolute streaming puke of shit.  I got this off the back of Edge magazine giving it a desirable 8 and a glowing review. Edge subscription cancelled. Terrible game.

I thought Curtis called this his GOTY not so long ago... what was so bad?!  I want gory details of appallingness please.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Hyperbole, surely.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    indigo wrote:
    Got Him! Getting those last few hits in was such a rush that I can almost forgive Mikami for coming up with such a horrible boss to begin with :)
    Ha, you big tease.  Best credits evar.  Well done.
    Played a bit myself today actually, trying out some of the moves I never use.  Concluded that Fist of Justice is awesome.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Hyperbole, surely.

One would hope.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Hyperbole, surely.

Nope. The final nail for me. Of late, the publication seems to have veered off course, especially the quality of writing in the reviews. How the person reviewing this game came about that summary is beyond me. A few years ago, an eight in Edge would mean a solid purchase for me. Now they throw them around willy nilly. This 'game' is truly, truly terrible. On rails of the worst kind, some of the shonkiest combat I've ever seen, disgustingly bad voice acting and terrible characters. There are other, much better, reliable reviews out there now. (Wish I'd looked on metacritic before getting this game) The fact that I get most of the magazine online for free has just reinforced my decision further.
  • @Dubs, Thanks. Barely scratched the surface move-wise, think I'll do some experimentation using the (many by the looks of it) arena challenges, and If that goes well...... gulp, maybe a hard run.
  • Remember Me
    I was quite enjoying the game. Rough around the edges, sure, but a decent action game nonetheless.
    Except for the storytelling. We're in a time where strong female characters are important - hell, this game even found publicity because they were told to ditch the female lead - yet Nilin is a horrible example of this. She's constantly being told to do questionable things (by a bloke, no less) and, despite her voicing her doubts in The Darkness-style inner monologue scenes, she continues to blindly follow this guy's instructions.
    I can't connect with a character who's so mind-numbingly stupid and obedient.

Such a shame that the writers had no idea how to craft a decent lead, as the game has some interesting ideas and is a reasonable mix of Tomb Raider and the Batman: Arkham series.
  • Fair points Chalice and I gave up on Edge myself a good while back (The only paper media I buy now is Retro Gamer) but sometimes we have to remember its just one guy's opinion/thoughts.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    On the subject, has anyone seen this months cover? Justifies me cancelling my sub last year.
  • Hitman Absolution
    Pile of turd, glad it was free on PS+. Didn't feel like there was any skill in waiting around for minutes to investigate the situation then acting upon it. You'd feel like you'd cracked how to complete a kill, only to realise that you couldn't do what you wanted without some serious complication.

Plus, you can't really go in all guns blazing if you chose to do so. Got better things to be spending my time with (hello Uncharted 3!)
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    On the subject, has anyone seen this months cover? Justifies me cancelling my sub last year.

It's a genius cover, yer off ya head.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I will eat my head if it turns out they're playing on the community fervour for the PSquad.

And by that I mean the contents of the article.
  • neverdead. should neverhaveplayed
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    *googles*

Oh my. Hahaha.
  • Yeah the cover is horrendous, but I can't remember the last nice cover I saw anyway. With Remember Me and that pile of shite that was Year Walk on IOS - 9??? And to top it off a nine for bioshite Infinite, I think I'm justified in canceling. They've truly gone to the dogs in the last year. Their reviews have lost a certain quality.
  • I think it's both horrendous and amusing, desperate and courageous, cheap and classy.
  • I think the covers have been extremely shit for quite some time now. What a shame. But it's still the only publication I like reading. What are the alternatives? GamesTM is shit as are most of the online sites.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This month's cover has nothing to do with the art style by the way. It's the stance they've taken and the brazen hyperbole. That cover says to me 'we're a magazine that likes over the top controversy and we wanna appeal to the masses!'. I mean look what happened with everything in last few years. I used to love the online/offline snippet they put in there from the maroonrum, there might've just been a chance you'd made it in there when the new issue dropped, not now, it's all fucking facebook posts. I've made a wise decision I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!