Gears thread
  • Woo ultimate edition dispatched
  • Loved the first Gears. I don't have a Bone, so I won't be playing this, but that's fine. Don't want to be accused of trolling - interested to hear some thoughts on this package. I mistakenly thought, like the Nathan Drake Collection, that all 3 games would be included (I'm ignoring Judgment). Seems less value on this basis. The Master Chief Collection, for example, has 4+ games. Why just the one here, or am I misinformed?
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Loved the first Gears. I don't have a Bone, so I won't be playing this, but that's fine. Don't want to be accused of trolling - interested to hear some thoughts on this package. I mistakenly thought, like the Nathan Drake Collection, that all 3 games would be included (I'm ignoring Judgment). Seems less value on this basis. The Master Chief Collection, for example, has 4+ games. Why just the one here, or am I misinformed?

Kind of misinformed. Game comes standalone completely remastered, but you get digital downloads of 2,3 and Judgement as well as beta access for Gears 4,all for £25.
  • Dropping all of the games at once is one of the things that caused the problems for The Master Chief Collection. Very tough to build a community and get matchmaking to work with that much content.
  • Ah ok. That makes more sense. Cheers. I take it that they made more of an effort with the first? It probably looks the roughest due to age. Never finished the third, as I had series fatigue, but the first two were aces.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Ah ok. That makes more sense. Cheers. I take it that they made more of an effort with the first? It probably looks the roughest due to age. Never finished the third, as I had series fatigue, but the first two were aces.

Looks great, plays amazingly well. Really don't think the Gears formula has been equalled never mind bettered, and in my opinion Gears 1 is the best at delivering the core Gears experience.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I thought the digital downloads for the sequels were going to be access to the 360 versions when they formally launch the backwards compatibility in November? They're not doing any work to make them look shiny are they?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I prefer the whimsy of Uncharted, which doesn't do the shooting as well, but has the traversal and puzzle elements in the mix. But you're right, Gears probably is the best 3rd person shooter ever.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I prefer the whimsy of Uncharted, which doesn't do the shooting as well, but has the traversal and puzzle elements in the mix. But you're right, Gears probably is the best 3rd person shooter ever.

Having said all that, not sure about buying the ND Collection, as I think it'll put me off 4. Too much all Uncharted in one go.

• isanbard wrote:
    I thought the digital downloads for the sequels were going to be access to the 360 versions when they formally launch the backwards compatibility in November? They're not doing any work to make them look shiny are they?

1 is remastered. 2/3/4 are digital versions of the 360 game on xbone. £27. I spent many a Friday night playing Gears 1 online with EDGE crew back in the day and i dont have a 360 anymore so it's ok for me
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Oh ay, still a good deal if yer Gears history minded for sure. 2 onwards may very well hold up a good deal better in the modern day too. They always were pretty games in their time. 

Remember very briefly getting destroyed in the MP on this from way back when and put me off really. Looks like the studio were using this to get them up to Gears speed for 4 so it's good news that it appears to be going well..
  • isanbard wrote:
    Oh ay, still a good deal if yer Gears history minded for sure. 2 onwards may very well hold up a good deal better in the modern day too. They always were pretty games in their time. 

Remember very briefly getting destroyed in the MP on this from way back when and put me off really. Looks like the studio were using this to get them up to Gears speed for 4 so it's good news that it appears to be going well..

They were planning on doing them all with one of our very for forumites doing terrific work on the sound, but the expense of a remaster is equal to making an entirely new game so they decided against the rest of the project. Especially with the introduction of BC.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    As a proof of concept this looks great by all accounts and spending the budget on the new one should be better in the long run than potentially compromising it with the spend on remasters.... maybe?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Gears probably is the best 3rd person shooter ever.

That would be Vanquish.  :p

But Gears is the best MP 3rd person shooter for sure.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean I'd say Resi 4 but gears is still pretty good
  • Gears is dumb fun in SP. MP is where it really shines.
  • Curtis wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Gears probably is the best 3rd person shooter ever.
    That would be Vanquish.  :p But Gears is the best MP 3rd person shooter for sure.

I'd have Vanquish right up there, yes.
  • So, Gears tonight then? I have the vin rouge uncorked, am I doing it rite?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

Can't tonight or tomorrow.

SQIU4x1.jpg?1

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Feels good to be back. But the controls will take an adjustment period. My play style needs no adjustment.  :p
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Soooo, who's up for some giblets of war tonight?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm game, I've hated every minute of it playing MP alone though.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Is the 360 DLC included in this?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Everything
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Except for new DLC??
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Except for new DLC??

New DLC? Just MP characters and weapon skins dude.
  • Would we be surprised if a map pack arrives though? New maps or maybe the "best of" 2,3&J?
  • I'd be surprised if that happened, as you can still play those online and they're all bundled with UE.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • This is a fucking blast, finally got a couple of proper games today. Who's up for a sesh tomw maybe? Bank Hols gears lols
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He's alive!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!