PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Official Site

Activision have just announced a Walking Dead game.

It is based on Daryl and Merle's trip to Atlanta and is in first person, no other details have been announced but could this be a natural successor to L4D?

Activision has announced a new game based on The Walking Dead. Not to be confused with Telltale’s episodic The Walking Dead, Activision’s version is a first-person action game based on AMC’s The Walking Dead TV show.

Supplies will be scarce and players will need to carefully manage food, ammunition and supplies as they make their way through the game. Daryl will encounter “a slew of other characters” along the way that can help or hurt him. Whether or not these characters accompany Daryl is completely up to the player and “represents just some of the major decisions that will constantly be made while fighting to survive.” Developed by Terminal Reality, The Walking Dead will revolve around Daryl Dixon and his brother Merle on a “haunting, unforgiving quest to make their way to the supposed safety of Atlanta.” Players will control Daryl as they attempt to avoid detection from zombies that hunt using sight, sound and smell and will choose between fighting them or using stealth to avoid detection. According to Activision, “No place is truly safe for Daryl as he makes his way through the Georgia countryside in this new, post-apocalyptic world.”
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Except it will be utter shit, I predict.
  • A game based on racists? Excellent work.

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ffs...

I think they shoot white zombies as well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Call of Zombie.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'll remain optimistic for now though how much this wavers or increases will depend on what else we hear.

I'm slightly concerned about the pedigree of Terminal Reality.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    A game based on racists? Excellent work.
    There's no way any mention of that will make it into the game.
  • I love the character of Daryl on the show so this is slightly interesting. Although I just can't see it being very good. Especially when we already have an excellent Walking Dead game!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    A game based on racists? Excellent work.
    There's no way any mention of that will make it into the game.
    Just out of curiosity (and returning to a frequently asked question) why is this any different to books, films or TV?

If the character is a racist in the programme then why shouldn't he be the same in the game? People never fail to surprise me and the other Walking Dead game is a good example of this in that not a second thought is given to maiming or killing but a low percentage of people wouldn't take supplies essential to their well being, wtf?

So you don't want a character that's socially unsavourary in your game but you're more than happy to play games that involve all sorts of carnage? It baffles me this moral high ground folk take when playing a work of fiction.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well, there'a difference between a racist character in a film or tv series, where his actions can be put into a context and given some kind of moral treatment, and making a racist character a protagonist in a game where you can essentially decide his actions. I have no idea how any of this pans out in the game but there is a difference. Murderers, terrorists, rapists etc all play roles in films but making them controllable characters in games would be problematic.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    People generally think depictions of violence have no effect on society (the kind of people you'd get in this forum at least), but depictions of racism can be socially quite destructive.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    People generally think depictions of violence have no effect on society (the kind of people you'd get in this forum at least).

Nonsense. Pay more attention.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Okay maybe not here but plenty of people do think that.

Also it's generally considered okay to enjoy violence in games and films, but most people wouldn't admit to enjoying racism.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe because violence can be portrayed in an obviously fantasy and over the top style setting, whereas racism can't, at least not in anything other than a satirical way, which I certainly don't believe Activision are capable of. I don't think anybody would admit to enjoying any attempt to portray "real" violence, such as that in Irreversible and other films like that.
  • The thing is, I'm sure Activision will probably completely ignore all aspects of racism in this. I would be very surprised if they do include it in any way, shape or form. I don't think including it will add anything to the game so why would they?

I'm currently watching the second series and the racism hasn't actually been mentioned in it at all.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I don't think that Activision will include any of the racism shown in series 1. Darryl appears to be 'losing' his racism which leads you to believe that he never was racist and was merely acting on his upbringing and the influence of his brother who clearly was racist. The other thing is that I imagine it would be a difficult thing to do in a game unless your character is steered that way through cutscenes and deadends until the required action is carried out.

Also not every company has Capcom's pedigree, haha!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    A few more details have appeared...

Though the game is presented in first-person format, you won't be going guns-blazing. A heavy focus on rationing food, supplies, and ammo is in play, and you'll often be able to stealthily evade the undead, if you so choose. 

Player choices will also play a role in the outcome of the game. As you encounter other survivors in the world, not all will be friendly, or even truthful. You'll have to live with your choices as you press on to Georgia's capitol.

7806549854_90ae383def_c_d.jpg

7806549404_073cc82f2a_c_d.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Greg Miller eh?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ghostbusters was an alright game. I think that's about it.

This thread has also highlighted the lack of racist games.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'd give it a bit more of a chance than gambling on some pre-alpha footage to declare it gash ...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It just doesn't sound very good. Plus everything he describes sounds a lot like Dead Island. Plus (plus) I think my desire to play another zombie game is officially tapped out.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm not saying you're wrong, just....!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!