Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • I still can't get the Play Store working. I can get to be able to sign in, it tells me it will take a few minutes and it then never signs in.
  • What phone do you have Dante?
    Is it unlocked and do you have access to the recovery?

2 universal methods for installing apps in android

Method1 (fairly safe) apk:
    Uninstall the playstore and reinstall it fresh: make sure sideloading of apk is allowed in settings menu.
    Play store apk can be found here
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1996995

Method2 (riskier so back up your data) gapps via recovery menu:
    Download the appropriate gapps package to your phone.
    Make sure you download the right one depending on the soc architecture of your handset.
    gapps (google apps) zip can be found here
    http://opengapps.org/

Power down your phone and restart while holding down a button combo (usually power+vol.up) to enter the recovery menu. Navigate to 'install package' and look up the gapps package you just downloaded. Select and install it.
    You may have to wipe data and wipe cache afterwards to be on the safe side. the phone might missbehave otherwise.
    With data and cache cleared exit the recovery and reboot your phone.
    You should now have a clean phone with gapps freshly installed.

Method3
    Navigate to istalled apps> settings> play store
    Clear cache and settings and try opening the app again
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not sure where you got the PlayStore app from, but there's a chance it's sending your login details to a third party especially if it's not bothering to sign in. If I were you I'd change my Google password immediately, or at least set up two factor authentication, just ,my google account is the glue that holds everything else together so I'm a touch paranoid
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Aye, as with windows .exe files be very careful where you get your android .apk's from.
    Malware is always lurking so make sure your download source is reliable.
    The links I posted earlier are reputable and should be fine (opengapps.org and xda)
  • I got it from APK mirror.
  • hunk wrote:
    Method2 (riskier so back up your data) gapps via recovery menu:[/b] Download the appropriate gapps package to your phone. Make sure you download the right one depending on the soc architecture of your handset. gapps (google apps) zip can be found here http://opengapps.org/ Power down your phone and restart while holding down a button combo (usually power+vol.up) to enter the recovery menu. Navigate to 'install package' and look up the gapps package you just downloaded. Select and install it. You may have to wipe data and wipe cache afterwards to be on the safe side. the phone might missbehave otherwise. With data and cache cleared exit the recovery and reboot your phone. You should now have a clean phone with gapps freshly installed.

Can I do this without root?

I have a Lenovo Phab 2 Plus.
  • Not sure but you can try.
    Try booting into recovery to see if the option for sideloading zip packages is available:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/phab-2-plus/help/how-to-recevory-menu-t3607582

Hope this helps.

If it doesn't try the apk method again.
    Heads up: wiping data + cache = Factory reset = Clean install of rom currently installed

Just so you know.
    Which means if you fuck up and somehow the phone won't boot into android all is not lost.
    You can usually enter recovery and force a factory reset this way and 'unbrick' your phone.
  • If possible, could someone resourceful find me an apk for a PDF and word doc viewer that'd work on an Android 2.2.1 Archos 101 Internet Tablet? Please and thanks.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Google docs, shouldn't need to sideload it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'll have a look but nothing seems to download from the market and anything I try to sideload gets a failed to parse message.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Looks like Xiaomi is coming to the EU afterall with Spain as homebase. They're already in Poland too.
    Will be keeping my eye on them, my experience with the mi3 and redmi note3 are excellent. Highly recomended.

Xiaomi must've strengthened the patent war chest portfolio. Apple's lawyers are no doubt on high alert.

For android fans on a budget, this is THE brand to watch.
  • By the time they get here you won't be able to import them into the UK...

But I agree, my Redmi Note 3 is great. Would love a laptop.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My Pixel 2 came today. Lovely thing, just a better version of my fav Moto X really, although the bezels top and bottom of the screen would give escape nightmares. The home screen which shows cloud cover/lighting etc in real time is mesmerising.
  • Downloaded the Microsoft launcher last night. Seems nice,may replace Nova.
  • HTC 10 now fucking up with Bluetooth. The final straw. Setting up my z3 again.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ok, yet again, I can't remember where to turn off haptic feedback on keyboard touches. ffs.
  • I don't know what I changed, but there's no haptic now.

Z3 is back, baby.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Settings, sounds and stuff, other stuff

At least that's where I think it was on my sony(s)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, beat me there
  • It's what I thought too. Not sure what I've changed, I thought nothing. But it's working now.

Going back to this phone I realise how slow the htc was running, apart from other outright things not working at all.

• Btw, missus just ordered a pixel 2 compact. Any news on these? I figured it would be a pretty safe bet. Especially as the other choices were a Samsung and a htc.
  • Heh. Stamina mode is what turns it off. Just figured it out then.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Samsungs are solid now (7s and 8s). I'm sure that the pixel is fine too.
  • She accidentally got the pixel 2 full size. It's still light as. Lovely phone. Transfer was as easy as any phone I've ever seen. Up and running in no time. Camera is ridiculous.

Add to that it came with a free home mini and I bit the bullet and bought a proper wifi extender, we now have cast ability all round the house. Poor man's sonos up in here. Lol.
  • I've had a Galaxy S7 for 17 months now, which isn't long for most people, but is a record for me since getting my first smartphone in 2011.

It's fucking wonderful and I've seen nothing that remotely tempts me away. I may buy another.
  • Aye, the flagship galaxy phones have often been gooduns. The Galaxy Nexus was also a really nice phone, way back when.
  • I got burned by he s3 and just haven't had the inclination to ever go back. I did manage to not tell my missus to avoid one of the newies like he plague, but once the pixel was in play, it was over.
  • Aye - others mileage may vary. The thing is, Samsung offered some pretty good bang for buck until the newer Chinese manufacturers, like Xiaomi and Huawei, turned up on the scene, and Samsung’s heavy system bloat actually went down pretty well in China, where the default google services were intermittent at best and unusable at worst.

Once google got blocked proper there really wasn’t any way I could justify using the Nexus phones, even though they were great. At that point it was a domestic phone, Samsung or Apple.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I bought a one+ 5 for my wife's birthday a while back. It's a very nice phone, so when it's time to ditch the S7 I will probably look at something similar.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just got a Pixel 2. Seems nice enough!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!