Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • @AJ
    That looks like one of them phones you shove up your arse to smuggle into prison.
  • Only if you need Internet. This is what you'd use if you just wanted a phone:

lLkKLQ8.jpg?1

hunk wrote:
    I'll happily move to 6-7 inch as long as it fits into current form factors. Bigger screen = better user experience.

For you, maybe. Nothing I regularly do with my phone is improved by having a bigger screen and most things are made more inconvenient as I constantly have to shift it around in my hand to reach different parts of the screen.
  • That thing would fit right up in your ear.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Anyone got a Fire tablet and replaced the launcher? I'm wondering how difficult it is, what consequences there are, whether maintenance is required, that kind of thing.
  • Was looking at Xiaomi phones last night. Surprised at how little they cost,is this an indication of quality?
    I thought they were comparable to the OnePlus range but now I'm not sure if they should be a consideration if I was to go the import route.
    I know they have been mentioned her before so do any badgers have experience?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • OnePlus only does hi end phones at mid range prices. Xiaomi does hi-and mid-end phones with a similar price strategy. In these cases prices are not indicative of quality as 1+ and Xiaomi are strategically undercutting the competition by selling slightly above cost and making money by providing services; Xiaomi has their own app store and cloud service in China.

Like with 1+, Xiaomi's build quality is top notch overall. Much, much better than the usual mid range stuff we get over here. Their hi-end stuff is easily on par with Samsung and Apple. When importing make sure you get global editions as those have Google play preinstalled and no Chinese apps. Plus, you get the 4g bands needed in the west.

Hi end: Mi, Mi note and Mi mix series.
    Mid end: Redmi, Redmi Note and A (vanilla android) series.
  • Xiaomi blows the entire mid range scene out of the water.
  • Aye, the Redmi and A series are extremely capable. Unbeatable price/quality ratio as well.
  • Thanks guys,I may continue looking a bit further into them. Their website had a list of international options, one of which was Spain so I'm guessing buying from there would give me the right version and avoid customs charges as its shipped from with the EU?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yes.
  • I'm thinking of getting the Nokia 7 Plus, but not sure if I should wait for something with the newer chipsets, as ARM were promising big gains this year. Anyone know of anything worth keeping an eye on?
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Thanks guys,I may continue looking a bit further into them. Their website had a list of international options, one of which was Spain so I'm guessing buying from there would give me the right version and avoid customs charges as its shipped from with the EU?

I have a Redmi Note 3, had it for 18m now, it's amazing for the price. Camera is average. But it takes a memory card, UI is brilliant, screen is nice.

I got it from China, just be patient and don't select DHL and you'll be golden. If there's an EU option that'll work too.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Noticed this earlier today, don't know if it'll be much use.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/major-xiaomi-sale-on-ali-express-28-to-30-march-2916420

My new Kindle doesn't seem to want to post a link, so that'll have to do.
    Edit: seems to have done it automagically.
  • Like the look of the P20 that got announced. Looking to move away from Sony come upgrade time but nothing is exciting me at the minute.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's coming up to upgrade time for me too and I think two stints with Sony may be enough. But I need something with top notch sound quality, it's the main selling point for me.
  • Same. I'm just finding this XZ a overheating useless brick at times, and it ain't as zippy as the Z3 was.
  • Sound quality was the one good thing about the htc10.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looking for phone with more than one good thing, preferably.
  • Fucking hell, how did anyone ever use Gingerbread?

I have now successfully flashed a device! Upgraded a Galaxy Y to Kitkat. Now to see if it can handle Lollipop.
  • Think my tablet was on Froyo. Haven't used it in yrs  or bothered to look into updating it although I said I would when Android Go was announced.
  • Do you have budget for a pixel 2? Missus has one, seems mint.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Three confirming they're soon going to be the exclusive UK stockist of Xiaomi phones.

Good thing I'm on Three and due to upgrade in September then!
  • Nice,hopefully they do the same here.
  • How is that nice? They'll be able to sell them at a higher price if they're the only company selling them. They may not, but I don't see any possible positives either.
  • If they go that route,people could just go and order them from another country as had always been the way. Its nice for me because they may have a phone I'm interested in come upgrade time.
  • Did they not stock them before? Fair enough. Would still be better if they weren't the only stockist, though.
  • Dunno. Up until recently I thought they had to be bought direct from China.
  • Maybe. Just realised I may well have been confusing them with Hauwei.
  • My S7 just got Oreo. The day after I bought an iPhone.

What should I be interested in? I see prettier UI but nothing else of much import.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think Oreo contains Sony's ldac audio codecs for hi def bluetooth sound, amongst others. Don't know what else would be in there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!