Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I bought it and have a bug where I can’t buy from merchants or leave the shop. Hopefully they fix it soon.
  • Can't change the language here. Otherwise, it's perfect.
    Except for the sometimes tiny fonts.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Discovered my last phone upgrade was 2017, and hence concluded I could vaguely warrant a new one.  So Pixel 2 is now Pixel 5.  Broadly more of the same, but the whole screen being the screen is taking some getting use to, with swipey for home/back rather than "buttons".  Transferring stuff across always a minor faff (not least whatsapp...), but I think I'm through that now, just trying to remember passwords etc. for my plethora of apps!

Anyone else got a Pixel 5?  Any tips or tricks??
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, but I'm considering upgrading to one, so I'll be bending your ear for your opinion once you've had time with it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ACK. What have you got atm?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Samsung S9. My wife has a pixel 4A and it seems decent.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Discovered my last phone upgrade was 2017, and hence concluded I could vaguely warrant a new one.  So Pixel 2 is now Pixel 5.  Broadly more of the same, but the whole screen being the screen is taking some getting use to, with swipey for home/back rather than "buttons".  Transferring stuff across always a minor faff (not least whatsapp...), but I think I'm through that now, just trying to remember passwords etc. for my plethora of apps! Anyone else got a Pixel 5?  Any tips or tricks??

If you don't want to use the swipey stuff, you can get the buttons back. Go to Settings > System > Gestures > System navigation and select 3-button navigation.

Transferring shouldn't be too much of an issue. Did it not offer you the option of transferring everything via NFC?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I have whatsap set up to back up daily to my google drive, so when I change phones it all pops back up
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I just got the 4a 5g and was enjoying the swipey but had to switch to the buttons.

The swipey for back on each side of the screen meant you couldn't open burger menus in something like Gmail with a swipe and had to hit the button in the top left. This phone is massive so that was immediately annoying.
  • I got a mail saying I'm due an upgrade and I can't see me going for anything other than another Pixel, best phone I've ever had, and I've used loads due to work. I've a Pixel 3 atm and kinda interested to know what size options there are for newer models, I don't like a huge one (fnar). What can I expect?
  • The missus skipped a couple and is on the 4 now, (I think). The big versions a just under the size of some of the other big phones. Or at least my oppo.

Seems very reliable and does its job well.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think the 5 is only one size? It's the same as my pixel 2 in form, but is entirely screen so you get a good chunk more real estate. Doesn't feel huge or anything.

Thumbs up so far, but that I've done much. More of the same but very slight better. Need a 5G SIM mind to enjoy that side of thing, though may wait till I'm actually commuting again.

Extra ram, speediness, smoothness, more apps remembered full state, and wireless charging, all nice steps up. I expect the camera likewise though that's always been very good. Mini Metro was playing even greater than normal when I gave that a bash as debut game. Doubt I'll do any Strava/xCloud nonsense.

Swipey maybe growing on me but good to hear the option is there.
  • Sweet, I'm definitely in the Pixel family now I think, great phones. Am I alone in never having a case or screen for it? I don't get why people ruin the sleek design by whacking an ugly cover or sleeve on it.
  • I never use cases or screen protection. Only phone screen i ever cracked wasn't mine!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • The pixel 4a 5g on sale at the moment in the Google store. 100 euro off it down to €390 so that might be worth checking out on there. Assume there's similar off on the uk site.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I cracked my pixel 2, first phone I'd done it to in a long time. So now playing it safe. I blame having children.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Sweet, I'm definitely in the Pixel family now I think, great phones. Am I alone in never having a case or screen for it? I don't get why people ruin the sleek design by whacking an ugly cover or sleeve on it.

Once you've had to pay for a repair you'll change you tune.
  • I've literally never cracked a phone screen, I do have incredibly dextrous hands though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Absolutely buzzing at 80% battery left at 2pm having used it a fair chunk
  • LG to pull out of mobile phone market
    Man this sucks. I love my G7, was looking at getting a new LG at some point but not much point if it's not going to be supported.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can't imagine Sony will stick it out for much longer either. It'll be Samsung and Apple at the premium end, and oneplus and xiaomi on the sub premium. And Google doing whatever they feel like.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Heard Google were going to start producing their own mobile chips as well, so definitely doing whatever they feel like
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No, but I'm considering upgrading to one, so I'll be bending your ear for your opinion once you've had time with it.

So yes, I've now had some time with my Pixel 5.  And basically - its' a big thumbs up!
     - Battery life is way better than my Pixel 2
     - It's snappier
     - 90Hz scroll speed makes for a more pleasurable internet browse
     - Bigger screen is nice, it's as sharp as ever, photos still tasty

So basically no real complaints!  Though I guess all those things are evolution not revolution, so YMMV in terms of that offering sufficient value for money.

I've not really pushed the camera far (not particularly one for night-time portraits, say...) and haven't tried wireless charging yet.  I've also just moved to 5G which is kinda nice, watching footy on it etc.  And I've got used to swipey swipey for home/back etc.

Any specific questions, I'm obviously happy to try to answer, too...
  • I got a pixel 5 a couple of weeks back and yeah, second all of that, it's lovely (I was a fan of my 3 before).

Battery life is much improved, which was my only real complaint about the 3.

I've reverted to navigation buttons at the bottom though as I wasn't a fan of swipey nav. I'm sure I'd have got used to it but it just added friction (lel) to the process.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've ended up with an S21 simply because I switched to sky (I got a good all in/discounted deal) and they don't do pixels unfortunately, but thanks for the feedback.
  • Missus' huawei's battery started expanding and she didn't notice until it looked really bad, so, given she was in the middle of a sim-only term, she had to buy a new one outright. Or at least, that was the option that made most sense.

The Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro, then. £350 it was for the 256gb model from Three. And damn I'm really impressed at that price! She's buzzing with it!
  • That's the phone I use. It's a great phone, love it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does anyone here have any experience with SIPs? I was wondering if it's worth setting one up but I don't know much about them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!