Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • I found I can adjust brightness on my S2 by holding my finger on the status bar and dragging it left or right across it.
    I think you can set different brightness options for different apps too.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Scroll down, settings, general, set homepage.
  • Oh man, this scroll down shit is amazing.

Thanks.
  • Bought SwiftKey 3. So much better than the default Samsung keyboard.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Don't you have Swype? Think it comes with the Galaxy phones.
  • Swype is included, I much prefer typing though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Give Swype a little time and practice and you'll never go back to typing normally. It triples the speed of writing. You need to figure out the rhythm of the swipes and get past the initial barrage of unintended words.
  • Apparently SwiftKey has saved me 10,000 keystrokes since I purchased it. Not quite sure how that's calculated.

I might try Swype again, it's just the thought of that horrible Samsung keyboard.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Swype keyboard is proprietary, it's not the Samsung one. It changes when you select Swype.
  • What's this Swype thing?  Oh, I have investigated all on my own and now know the answer.  It sounds like a bit of a pain in the arse.  Is it actually not?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, it takes a little bit of getting used to, as you need to adopt a suitable speed etc to begin with but then it quickly becomes essential. Any time I've returned to a normal keyboard now, I get pissed off with how slow it is almost immediately.
  • I didn't think it was installed on mine but there's a "continuous input" setting which sounds like the thing.  I don't trust it at all though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It should be called swype input when you choose input settings. It will also be in the keyboard settings in the general settings and you will probably have to turn off the automatic word replacement as that can be annoying.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    All these posts are coming from Swype so it seems to be doing a good enough job.
  • OK, it does actually work, which is quite impressive.  Not sure it's much faster than the normal method but then I've only used it for twenty seconds.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It is much faster when you get used to it. It also works very easily by swiping with the thumb of the hand you're holding the phone with. Which can be handy.
  • Hmm.  You still need to stop to accept the word though, so it seems a bit stop and start, unlike normal two-thumb typing which feels more fluid.
  • And this phone's too big to use the thumb of the hand with which you're holding the phone. Unless I change to portrait mode, possibly.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You don't need to pause to let the word be accepted. Just take your finger off at the end of the word and it will put the space in automatically. So you just lift your finger between words but without pausing. If it gets a word wrong, which isn't all that often, you can tap the word when you've finished and choose the correct alternative. You can also add new words by typing them, putting a space and adding to the dictionary.

Oh yeah, Swype is much better in portrait mode, less space to cover with your finger.
  • OK, let me give that a go.
  • I guess it would get faster with practice but I'm pretty handy at typing the "old" way so I don't see me making massive gains with Swype.  It's clever, but I'm not convinced it's faster.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It really is but you do need to invest a little time to become accustomed to it. It's a bit like the touchscreen equivalent of predictive text when it first appeared.
  • I've had a couple of goes. It's still seemingly slower than my typing.
    I'll persevere for now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can tap words out the same as on any other keyboard anyway, if you want. Bit of both is probably the way to get faster.
  • I guess the main thing is having to condition yourself to the be input method. Have typed this post using Swype and it was a little stilted to say the least.
    Does it learn from your typing style too?
    That was one thing I liked about swift key.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It'll learn words if you want but I'm not sure it changes according to your style. You adapt to it. There's nothing really compares to having a solid physical keyboard but you'd have to have a poxy Blackberry for that.
  • I tried both Swype and Swift Key and found Swift Key to be quicker just because using two thumbs is more efficient than using one finger on Swype.  For one handed texting though I could probably see Swype being better.
  • Nexx wrote:
    I tried both Swype and Swift Key and found Swift Key to be quicker just because using two thumbs is more efficient than using one finger on Swype.  For one handed texting though I could probably see Swype being better.

if-you-know-what-i-mean.png
    Kow wrote:
    It'll learn words if you want but I'm not sure it changes according to your style. You adapt to it. There's nothing really compares to having a solid physical keyboard but you'd have to have a poxy Blackberry for that.
    I hate Blackberrys.
    Apparently Research in Motion are in financial dire straits, so we may see less of them around.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I will give swift key a try but I don't think anything mobile could beat swype for speed.
  • I can;r seem to find Swype anywhere on my S3, how does one go about using it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!