Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
‹ Previous1234567143
  • I've got an Android phone now and feel very underwhelmed compared to iOS. Am I missing something?
    Are there any apps that I just have to get? Anything it can do that I just won't get an equivalent of on iOS?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm pretty sure there are all the same or at least equivalent apps to iOS. I doubt there's anything spectacularly different, it's just another smartphone after all.
  • main difference between similarly priced android and ios phones is accessibility, ios devices can be 'hacked' (they call it jailbreaking) to be more accessible but its illegal, androids are more to the form of lil computers, you can do much what you want with them but you may void your warranty.however because of accessibility, and that android comes on hundreds of different devices in all shapes and sizes, you get a similar battle as between windows and macos, macs are very controlled but through that have a very controlled and solid operating system (like iOs on the iDevices), windows and android suffer terribly from fragmentation with the operating system having a lot of roles to fill

you could say if you just wanna spend big money on a nice phone and not fuck about under the hood much, iOs phones might be nicer, if you like to fiddle, android might be more your bag, although android phones ARE improving a great deal in terms of out of the box polish and shine and generally being nice to use

similar phone to the current iPhone 4S in android flavour is the one i own, the Samsung Galaxy s2

you can head over to a half decent tech site like http://www.techradar.co.uk for reviews and the skinny on where you can plonk your money
  • You can get WiFi stumblers on the store with Android, they're spectacularly useful the one time a year you're likely to need one.
  • What flavour of Android do you have? I prefer ICS to iOS, but yeah what Kow said is spot on.
  • Anyway. Other than the usual games etc. I like Plume for Twitter and Pulse for news aggregation.
  • I've got ICS on a Galaxy S2.
    iOS is a much smoother experience in my book.

What are WiFi stumblers?

Pulse for news?

I'm finding widgets a pain to get used to.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    ICS on S2 (ok, maybe s3) is as good as it gets. You just need to de-apple yourself.
  • WiFi stumblers scan all the WiFi signals around you and tell you about them.

They're really useful for setting up access points in areas where there's a lot of other signals, so you don't get interference by being on the same channel as someone else.  The great thing about having one on your phone is that you can wander about checking it at different points in the room/house.  There can be a surprising difference between one side of the room and another in even marginally built-up areas.

The one I had even drew you a nice graph showing where the spectrum was busiest and rated the various channels on how good it thought they'd be.
  • The main advantage of Android is large screen availability, which for me is a clincher. After a couple of weeks of Galaxy 3 exposure, that Apple screen looks comically small.
  • Also, wifi hacker can prove useful, although this is changing with the availability of so many free wifi hotspots these days.
  • Doubly also, the touchwizz interface on the g3 is a better experience than on the g2, ics or no.
  • i want a cyanogen or miui version of ics, then my s2 is gonna be rosy
  • Looking at the cheap Android handsets and a pay as you go sim deal at the moment. Is the HTC Desire C decent?
  • looking at the specs, its behind the curve, but should run most apps ok

look for a review
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    looking at the specs, its behind the curve, but should run most apps ok look for a review

Ta Gunn.

I had a look at the reviews, but they're all a little out of date. Looks fine for £100, it's a second phone so don't need anything teh awesum.
  • I've downloaded an app called WiFi fixer. For some reason, my phone has issues connection to my Mum's Belkin N1 wireless router, not something my iPhone or iPad have a problem with, or anyone else's phones for that matter, yet my Galaxy S2 doesn't want to, says it's avoided a poor internet connection. I'm hoping that this app (which claims to fix bugs in the wifi system of android phones) will resolve that issue.
  • You don't seem happy with the move, what made you change from ios to android?
  • n0face wrote:
    You don't seem happy with the move, what made you change from ios to android?

I got an iPad. Needed a cheap phone to offset the cost.
    Ended up with a New iPad and a Galaxy S2 for the same contract cost of my iPhone and only paid £5 for the privilege.
    seemed like a good idea.
    I don't dislike Android per say, but it doesn't feel as nice. Something about it just doesn't push my buttons.
    Well, I got 2 years to grow into it.
  • I felt the same, but after being on Android for a while, iOS feels lacking in features if you go back.
  • I've had an LG Optimus 3D that I punted when I got ghosts calls and problems with texts. 

I still have a whole pile of apps on the Play store, which i'm holding onto for the moment. Might get another Android next year when my contract finishes, but liking the Lumia I have just now. Dunno if there is anyway to have the apps transferred to another phone.

A bit irked that 8 wont work on the lumia, will only get 7.8 instead.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Two people at work today with iPhones. Both had the same (annoying) ringtone. Apparently there's a very limited choice and you can't just use a song. That can't be right can it?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Use garage band. Specifically output the mp3 you ported into a solo track in the programme as a ringtone. Drag to iPoo in iTunes. Kosher.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Ha ha ha. What?

Nothing like find MP3, select "use as ringtone"?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The music might not have been bought from apple. Can't be having that - non-apple-approved ringtone. Steve would turn in his grave.
  • might be a licensing thing? mp3 isn't open
  • Apple:
    1. Take any song in itunes and if you don't want to mess with the timing, right click and choose "convert selection to aac" and a new version of the song will appear just below the old one.
    2. Right click the song and go under "Options" and "Start Time" as well as "End Time" and pick which part of the song that you want to make into a ringtone. (It seems the general consensus with this is under 30 sec.)
    3. Once you've selected what part of the song you want, click OK. After this you need to again "convert selection to aac" for the new version of your shortened song.
    4. With the new clip, right click and select "Show in Windows Explorer."
    5. Once the file is shown in Windows, rename the file from ".m4a" to ".m4r". (It was stated above how to enable windows to show file extensions.)
    6. Once renamed, double-click on the file and the new ringtone will beging to play in iTunes and you are ready to sync and enjoy your new tone.

Android:
    Set as ringtone
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    See? Easy.
  • There's that legendary user-friendliness.
‹ Previous1234567143

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!