Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Advanced Titty Pulling License.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Nailed the page turn there.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MBA. I don't know what an ATPL is.

Airline Transport Pilot's License.  It'll let me take you on holiday.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Do the second one please, then move here.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Elmlea wrote:
    MBA. I don't know what an ATPL is.
    Ooh, that does sound nice. Definitely do that one. Where are we going?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    MBA. I don't know what an ATPL is.
    Ooh, that does sound nice. Definitely do that one. Where are we going?

Dunno, depends where I get a job.  You might have to be packed in a box so I can fly you as freight to Kazakhstan.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Do the second one please, then move here.

Are Qantas recruiting?  If so, we might.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    WHY LET ME JUST CHECK obviously I have no idea, but mebbe.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • It'll be in Australia's daily email or something.
  • Kazakhstan? 

Boo-urns.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    It'll be in Australia's daily email or something.
    I forgot to re-light the boiler so I never got it : (
  • Some crazy animal probably ate it.
  • Kazakhstan?  Boo-urns.

Oh, I don't know - there is, after all, the sport of kings:

(ignore the stuff about Mongolia, it's spurious Australian brewery propaganda. I have it on good authority that Kazakstan is the place for yak racing)
  • Well, in 2 weeks I find out if I'm being made redundant.
    I'm part of a small team of 4 people plus 2 managers, and one of us is getting the boot. It'll be one of the grunts naturally, but who.
    Discovering this has made me very analytical and critical of my work mates, it also seems to have made us a little competitive. Ludicrous decision at the time as we're about to lose a guy to paternity leave too.

I hope I don't get made redundant, with the job market as it is, I might have to take contract work to keep the money going until I find something permanent.

Either way, if I do end up staying, I think I need to move on anyway. Things are getting a little strained, and I can't take much more of the uncertainty of my job.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Nick wrote:
    What's the cringiest of all things that's happened to you in an office?
    When I was sixteen my manager compared the quality of expensive shoes to how much nicer your skin feels if you let yourself dry naturally after a shower rather than towelling down.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hark up, he says a week later...

It's not the worst tautological horror, but proactive's mowing on for it. You all be valourventurous, now.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Well, in 2 weeks I find out if I'm being made redundant.
    I'm part of a small team of 4 people plus 2 managers, and one of us is getting the boot. It'll be one of the grunts naturally, but who.
    Discovering this has made me very analytical and critical of my work mates, it also seems to have made us a little competitive. Ludicrous decision at the time as we're about to lose a guy to paternity leave too.

I hope I don't get made redundant, with the job market as it is, I might have to take contract work to keep the money going until I find something permanent.

Either way, if I do end up staying, I think I need to move on anyway. Things are getting a little strained, and I can't take much more of the uncertainty of my job.

best of luck mate. Hope it goes well sas
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Ahh I deleted my sexy words.

Basically, if I was told I may be made redundant I would go into rape mode. Seriously, if someone says "youre expendable, we just arent sure if you are going in 2 weeks time or 2 years" then I'd think fuck it. I would probably shit into a desk draw.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Well, in 2 weeks I find out if I'm being made redundant. I'm part of a small team of 4 people plus 2 managers, and one of us is getting the boot. It'll be one of the grunts naturally, but who.
    Surely there's no way a team that size needs two managers and, if the people higher up have any sense, it'll be one of them going?  Good luck with this round and finding something better in the long-term, though.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Ahh I deleted my sexy words.

Basically, if I was told I may be made redundant I would go into rape mode. Seriously, if someone says "youre expendable, we just arent sure if you are going in 2 weeks time or 2 years" then I'd think fuck it. I would probably shit into a desk draw.

Trouble is they have to tell everyone in the same job roll that they are up for redundancy.

So even if you are shit hot and someone else is a useless fuck you go into the same pool initially.

Happened to me at xmas, there were 5 of us, 2 were safe as houses, myself and another guy were about even having only really just started in that role and 1 girl who was part time but been there forever. The girl went and I think that was always the plan but unfortunately due to redundancy procedures all 5 of us were shitting it.
  • Yeah, makes sense, I just dont like the idea of being suspended by a thread for a couple of weeks.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Yup, totally agree, it's no fun that is for sure. It makes motivating yourself at work very hard at the exact time that you need to be at your best.

Bestthing to do is treat it like you have already been made redundant and start updating CVs and signing up to job sites. Thats what we all did and one of the guys not made redundant ended up with a better job else where.
  • It doesn't help that we're in the latter stages of looking for a house to move to.
    We've sold our house and are looking for somewhere to move to. It's come at the completely wrong time.

Also, I say 2 managers, bit in essence it's 1 manager and his deputy.

Thinking about it logically, it doesn't make sense to get rid of me. Financially they'd be better off getting rid of the top earner of the team, on a work issue they'd be better off getting rid of the guy who only does one facet of our job, where's the rest of us are cross trained.
    That's what I mean when I'm being analytical and critical of my workmates.
    Anyway, unless someone volunteers it'll go to involuntary, at which point I will start to panic.

Whoever ends up going, my department will be worse for it.
  • Bestthing to do is treat it like you have already been made redundant and start updating CVs and signing up to job sites. Thats what we all did and one of the guys not made redundant ended up with a better job else where.

Yeah already done that.
    CV updated and on the City Jobs website. Just keeping my fingers crossed
  • Cool man.

If it goes to involuntary they cant just pick willy nilly they should do a points system. I think you should also be able to see the points 'league' too, it will be anonymous but you should he able to see everyone elses score labeled as person a, person b etc.

Should you be bottom on points you will have an oppurtunity to argue the toss.

Not sure how much of that is legislation but any redundancy where the role remains but numbers are cut has to be transparent so it's not abused as a dismissal loop hole.

Having skills across multiple job rolls will help you no end.
  • Oh and I don't think they can use salary as criteria for redundancy as it is out of the employees hands, if you are paid too much that is the companies fault.
  • @Sas I can pretty much guarantee they will get rid of one of you 4 and not the manager or deputy. Then that guy you mentioned will go on maty leave and you will be 2 men down and wishing they made you redundant instead. To make it worse it will be you and the girl who can only do one aspect of your jobs left so you will end up doing the lions share.
    I doubt they will get rid of the Maty leave guy as he can then argue unfair dismissal.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Oh and I don't think they can use salary as criteria for redundancy as it is out of the employees hands, if you are paid too much that is the companies fault.

I think they could. This is a cost cutting measure as profits are down.

Only one of our number can afford to voluntarily walk, whether he will our not is another question.

I might spend Monday applying for jobs

• pantyfire wrote:
    @Sas I can pretty much guarantee they will get rid of one of you 4 and not the manager or deputy.
    Not saying it's common, but I've seen head of department get the chop in downsizing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!