Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Some of the people at my uni were proper mouth breathers.
    Fact is you can buy a degree now.
  • I'm looking at applying for this job. I don't have a degree, which will likely hinder me, so I need to look fucking amazing.

Any tips on covering letter and CV, especially from @legaldinho?

Why are you looking at this role in particular?
  • Fellow freelancers: getting people to pay you on time. Am I right?

Grrr.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • HELL YES.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Indeed.
    One of my clients pay at the end of the month, closest to the invoice due date.
    I give 30 days on my invoices, so if I invoice them on the 3rd of April it would be due on the 3rd of May, but they won't pay me until the 31st of May. I end up having to cook dates so that invoice due dates land at the end of the month. A needless annoyance.
  • Indeed. One of my clients pay at the end of the month, closest to the invoice due date. I give 30 days on my invoices, so if I invoice them on the 3rd of April it would be due on the 3rd of May, but they won't pay me until the 31st of May. I end up having to cook dates so that invoice due dates land at the end of the month. A needless annoyance.

I have exactly the same issue. I put dates on invoices that are before I did the actual work, just so I get paid within 30 days. And the client actually tells me to do that. Mental.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Easier said than done but as a freelancer you need a money buffer. I don't really care when I get paid and I'm too tired to chase. I'm sure all my clients think I'm loaded.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Oh, of course. I just think it says a lot about a company when they won't pay for services, even given 30 days to do so.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I'm looking at applying for this job. I don't have a degree, which will likely hinder me, so I need to look fucking amazing. Any tips on covering letter and CV, especially from @legaldinho?
    Why are you looking at this role in particular?

Because I want to move into copywriting in some form, and most roles advertised are senior roles, whereas this one isn't.
  • So, I applied for this:

http://mobile.s1jobs.com/job/engineering-technical/product-development/glasgow/648298047.html?utm_source=s1jobs-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Job%20Applications%20Confirmed

Without expecting a reply.

Telephone interview this Friday. No chance I'll be dazzling them with brilliant, time to work on my bullshit skills.........
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Well that's me not doing the gardening anymore. Time to look for part-time and/or full-time!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Surely now is the time of year that the work is there, sorry to hear you've left if you are sorry

If not then good riddance, onwards and upwards
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Didn't leave, just my cousin has lost around 10 gardens, which were worth £400 to him roughly. They were gardens owned by people selling their homes, now they've been sold the new owners haven't kept him on. So he can't afford another worker right now, no qualms here about it, understandable, he's got three kids so needs all the cash he can get :D

Its nae biggy though, doing that has finally given me the confidence to seek something else.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That sucks, but if you enjoyed it, and the exertion wasn't too much maybe think about similar or window cleaning, cheap set up costs, easy to keep off the books, gets you out and about
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah its something I'm gonna look into, speaking to my advisor next week, she's genuinely good at what she does unlike the majority in that role.
  • First interview in 3 years today FUCK

as well prepared as I can be, I think, and the more I've researched the job the more I like it

Either way, on a half day and will have time to recover with beer and videogames in the afternoon so I'm just going to focus on that for now
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Good luck, Nick.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good luck mate, fingers crossed for you
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good luck Nick!
  • Fingers crossed mate!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks G.

What an experience that was. As interview anecdotes go, this is one I'll remember forever: I turned up about 10 minutes early, walk in to the place, it's a ground floor office with a couple of people at a desk to the left as I come in, opposite the sofa where I'm going to wait.

One asks my name as gets me some water. He comes back and the other dude is joking around saying isn't it bullshit how everyone in every company in the US is a Vice President. I'm smiling because it's true. The water guy is a heavy-set Irish man, now back and sitting on his squishy exercise ball. The other is a diminutive middle-eastern fella, peering out from behind his thick glasses, he looks over to the sofa to include me in the conversation: "it's bullshit isn't it, these job-titles Americans give themselves? What's your job-title?"

"Me, I'm the Vice President of Operations of the Broom Cupboard", I flippantly say. They both laugh.

My interviewer shows up, a very serious looking guy, and the tone changes. The vibe is that now, it's game time.

We go through and start the interview. It's a tough one, 'what are you being paid exactly' is thrown out in the first five minutes. While I'm wrestling with this, knowing I need to play it carefully to be consisdered seriously for the upper end of the salary bracket for the role, out of no-where someone has just opened the door behind us.

My interviewer similes. 'Did you know this guy you were just joking around with is the CEO and company founder?'. It's the Asian dude I just told a terrible joke to. Adrenaline rushed through me, is this good or bad?

It's good: he says he liked the fact that I was in a nervous situation and was able to tune in to the humour in their conversation, that it's a good sign for meeting new people in a new job. He sits in for the next 30 mins of the interview. Serious-guy completely changes, smiling the whole time. More grilling about figures, this time from the CEO and he seems happy with the lack of bullshit in my answers.

Might be on to something here.

• Great going mate.
    Sounds like a decent place to work as well.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Best.

Hope you hear what you want to hear back, man
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • what you are being paid exactly ? fuck off. hate questions like that. just lie and make out you earn 5k more than you really do.
  • Hope for good news Nick.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    what you are being paid exactly ? fuck off. hate questions like that. just lie and make out you earn 5k more than you really do.

Answer: None of your fucking business, that's what.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    what you are being paid exactly ? fuck off. hate questions like that. just lie and make out you earn 5k more than you really do.
    I quite liked it when I was last asked it. I'd recently gone from being full time at this language school where I was doing a shitload of hours for fuck all money to being on a zero-hours contract with a very good hourly rate but fuck all hours. The job I was applying for was part time, so everything was listed as full-time equivalent, so I thought fuck it and just multiplied my hourly rate by 40. It came out to so much that I had to drop it a bit in case I scared them off. Came in handy when they made the offer, though. I asked for more money and got it.
  • as a minimum ive always jumped at least 5k up in salary on my previous job. i have been in my current job for ten years now (cause i got lazy).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!