Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Cheers guys.

I think he is on the right track TBH. He has the contacts and the showereel. I have advised him from my own experience to not be too precious about what the work is.

Definitely good advice to branch out a bit more than being focused on purely editing.

Like I say I think he has genuinely just made the leap during a bit of a quiet period. Not helped by the 3 month cooling off period he has from his old place of work, who will likely be a main client for him down the line.

One thing I did say to him early on is that I thought he was aiming a bit high with his day rate. I think he has realised that now. He should be aiming for about what I charge but was talking about double that at one point.
    I gave his head a wobble and reminded him that what he thinks he could get is flattery, what someone actually pays him is reality.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I think i've an altitude for editing but I have no idea how to go about creating a portfolio outside my video work, which is rarely live action. Jack of all trades me, just no proof.

Recut Suicide Squad into a decent film, become a viral sensation, get hired by Nolan to edit the next Bond. Piece of piss.
  • I set aptitude, not the power of god himself
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've always felt that there's an hour of decent footage in The Trip.
  • Thanks for all the congrats in here guys.

Had the Argyle St manager phoning my manager yesterday to just check if I'm 100% for sure for realsies leaving. Maybe that's him and my regional manager (who's office is based in Argyle St) realize "ohhhhhh fuck, there's a good guy who knows the job inside out, knows the company, and would do a great job" finally.

LOL. Fuck em. This all wouldn't have happened if the RM didn't come to me two months ago saying "Yeh fam abt that Argyle St job we dunno if its happening cos we dunno if we can afford it lol but yeh keep working hard bro". I literally went home that night and applied for cee eee exx, and got an email the following morning for an interview.

Respect to my manager though. We've always been kinda matey. He understands where I'm coming from, and whilst he is playing devils advocate to an extent, I respect he's just looking out for me. He said he'd make sure I wouldn't even have to interview for Argyle St. But still, it's done. I'm out. I'm not going back on my word on the half-promise of a job in a branch that I never really wanted to work in anyway (full of cliques, low morale, and basically a hole of a shop), in a position that's only temp til Jan '18 cos they don't know if the branch will even still remain after lease negotiations. I mean, what happens then? I just get papped back into ek on lower money? I'm sorry, but am I a prick?

I know this is all small fry to many of you. Lol retail etc. Lol Gav etc.

Anyway, again, thanks all.
  • Yeah fuck em Gav. They lost out on you.
  • Some dipshit brought along this year's Year 2 sats papers to a moderation meeting last week, despite many school (including mine) not having sat all the tests yet.

Consequently, my class have scored 100% on all papers. Yeah boi!

Maladministration looms. So many knuckleheads.
  • Go for it Has. I see more future in CEX than HMV, their model is less effected by online.
  • You can sell stolen goods on ebay mate.
  • Good stuff Gav, and don't do yourself down.

settling.png
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah but you need a bank account to use with PayPal.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know this is all small fry to many of you. Lol retail etc. Lol Gav etc.

I've put more time into retail in my life than most, so any lols towards the job from me shouldn't be taken as condescension.

I'm pleased you're feeling positive towards the move any way around.
  • I’m full of respect for anyone who deals with the public on a daily basis for work. Nowt wrong with retail!

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind 100% and got just what you want/need out of all this Gav. Good.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good on you Gav, shame they've taken so long to come to their senses, glad you're looking forward too the new challenge
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I've done heaps of retail too. Always have mucho respect for the good managers. They cop a lot and if you can do that and still be a stand up guy like you are Gav then kudos. Glad you're heading towards a positive change and good luck!!
  • Yeah go for it Gav - no regrets.

I actually used to work in that Argyle St HMV and I'd even bet that there are still one or two people still working there that I knew! You're well out of there.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Any of you guys ever taught night classes at a college?  I'm thinking it might be a good way to facilitate my move away from retail.  Just emailing a local college now to start a conversation but I don't know if it's the kind of thing that you do independently of the college or if you become a member of staff.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Spending 6 hours each day of this bank hol weekend at my hospital to be an incident loggist while we have a big installation of new admin software. I originally put myself down to help thinking it'd be an on-call thing if any incidents do occur but turns out I'm expected to be on-site doing I don't know what (not really explained) if there's no meetings to sit in on and log. Hopefully they let me revise for imminent exams if there's downtime.

Somewhat glad I was out of the country when the hax went down. Loggists for that were stressed out to the eyeballs.
  • Last day at hmGav folks. Feels kinda surreal!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Enjoy it, Gav! Last day at a job is a great feeling, particularly when it's a move for the better.
  • Good luck Gav. Cos is right, last day in one job and first day in another is great!
  • According to a client, paki and chink should not be offensive to me.
  • Last day for me today too, after finally working my 3 month notice!

I've brought cakes with me.
  • According to a client, paki and chink should not be offensive to me.

Should only be offensive to your Chinese mum and Pakistani dad, right?
  • Also good luck Mike. What kind of cake? Is there a special one for the office knob?
  • Aye, best of luck to both Gav and Mike. A new chapter begins.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Pfft snowflake

I was actually called this.
  • Really? They have a quite impressive range of racial and misogynistic insults, you should have asked for a list and what it was like living back there in the 80's.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is snowflake miso? I thought it was just a slur against "social justice warriors".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!