Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yay
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You know when you want to punch fuck out of a manager and you're about five words away from doing it? Today was a good day.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    fallingdown_155pyxurz.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I wish I traded in a PS2 with a shite in the network adapter bay.

They’re probably over stocked on those.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    They're reducing your workload/responsibilities and you're going to ask them for more money?

That's one way of looking at it 

Admittedly a way I hadn't looked at it, hence me now chuckling to myself

So I didn't ask about more money. Two weeks ago was invited to apply for a job in the education sector again. I interviewed and was offered. I decided not to accept, because I didn't get a really top top vibe from the school, they were in a real rush to appoint, and I wanted to give my place some real notice, plus I'm really quite comfy where I am, despite being somewhat overworked

Anyway my direct superior asked me in the office this morning. Asked whether he'd told me that I was now the Data Engineer? I said yes, we discussed timelines for hiring the new report engineer, and I should put together some competency tests for them. Then mentioned that I'd also be getting a payrise. Not as much as the school offered but significant

So karma is great, didn't screw my company over, and they actually rewarded me, even without them knowing that I'd made a sacrifice for them
  • It’s really good to read a positive employer story in the work thread. Nice one.
  • Nice one Cocko!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers, gents. This thread is often doom and gloom, and given the chatter about 'dream jobs' earlier, I figured that it was worth sharing some happier news. This isn't my dream job, it's far from perfect, but it's kinda fun, and I like the guys and girls I work with

They've always done pretty right by me, despite the pay being pretty uncompetitive. At my review, when I thought I'd failed by not having made any inroads into a new Data Warehouse, it was decided that I'd freed up the Dev manager to do his job and had actually been successful  by placating the rest of the business and their demands. When I've needed time off at short notice for funerals they've always been understanding, even gave me a company loan when I got a huge council tax bill as my ex hadn't been paying the bills from the joint account

Given that there's no-one here currently who can do my job I felt harsh leaving them with only the one weeks notice that my contract obligated. So I'm very happy that turning down a 20% increase has actually not left me too far out of pocket, and that the 12 hour days I regularly do, and working from home at weekends to support our helpdesk guys hasn't gone completely unnoticed
  • Argyle St hmmmvvve manager phoned me today asking to come in for a chat on Saturday. Speaking to my old boss it looks like they've got a position available that'll have me on the same if not more money than I was on when I left. Beggars can't be choosers etc.

But long term, I dunno. Just wanna get through Christmas tbh.
  • That sounds promising mate. Right now a job is a job.
  • Pretty good of them to invite you back under good terms. File under ‘not dicks’.

From their side, it’s a no-brainer to get someone proven and already trained in for Christmas.

Long term? Fuck that, you left for good reasons. Nice of them to see you right until you find another better opportunity.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Great to hear Gav, at least you've got something you can lean on. Definitely also filing under 'not dicks'

Easier to look for a job when you've got one, no pressure to take first thing. You never know, they might have realised in your absence how great you are and sort out some of the bugbears that caused you to look elsewhere
  • Yeah, right now the main feeling is one that helps me get over that feeling of rejection I had from those fuckers. To know I made good enough connections with people that they'd go out of their way to help me out (and I'll include the whipround thread in that, which continues to humble me and render me speechless) helps me feel less of an unliked prick. Business is Business aside, not one person/sales assistant from those bastards has messaged me since. Thought they would, thought I'd gotten on really well with a couple of them, but just silence. So far, at least.

But I need to draw a line under that. Saturday will be the start.
  • Told everyone today I was leaving. Management wanted to keep it under wraps for a bit although I've been telling people a couple at a time. My boss sent round an email I wrote so it was full of praise. She was very generous. :)

Had some very sweet reactions. I'm going to miss my guys. It's been a blast, but it's time to move on.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Gav
    People are like that, it's so easy to forget about someone once they're out of their lives. I thought I would keep in touch with a couple of people that I worked with in retail, always send them a message on their birthdays, New Year, their kids birthdays etc, but a "let's hang out" was always replied to with a "yeah sure, sounds good" and then silence, even after suggesting dates / places to go to or whatever. 

Feels shit, specially since it were also people I often covered shifts for when they couldn't for personal reasons and always tried to make sure they were having a good time when working together. 

Anyway, good luck this Saturday, fingers crossed that'll all be good news for you.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Girl at work is persisting in referencing me via my first name and surname every single fucking time in the most sarcastic tone ever. Best to pull her up on it or speak to my/her manager? Does my fucking head in and she seems to know it.
  • Meh. Just refer to her in exactly the same name/surname fashion, but keep it jokey.
  • Is it important? If not, ignore.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fair enough, I'll just ignore. I never even chat to her, but her manager sits next to her so if I need help and mine ain't about I go over and bang she jumps in.

Prob got the horn for me tbh, only natural.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Meh. Just refer to her in exactly the same name/surname fashion, but keep it jokey.

yup "Hey, Cunty Fucknugget, would you pass me a pen please?"
  • Put her stapler in jelly.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    so she fancies me then thanks lads ill ask her out tomorrow
  • Put her "stapler" in "jelly"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    eeehhh lad
  • Put her in "jelly".
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    That's a trifle harsh.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Give ya heads a wobble

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!