Work - The pros and the cons...
  • One caveat to this is that I'm not exactly an NHS employee. I'm S e r c o, who've shown themselves in many instances across the globe to be massive massive shits.
  • Ah right, it's cheaper for you to kill them, you'll be expected in.
  • Exactly. I'm half expecting the death squads to kick down my doors this afternoon for even typing that there.
  • On a AWS sys admin course paid for by work. Its amazing to consider that 20 years ago Amazon were a online book seller and are now the worlds no1 cloud services provider.

Still the course is giving me a headache and food for thought. To myself i'm thinking "is it worth going through all the training and studying (of which there is feck loads) to get myself AWS certified then jump into the world of contracting?". The day rates for AWS certified people are nuts anywhere from £450 - 750 a day depending on what AWS area your certified for i.e. Sys Admin / Architect etc.
  • Well well well...

Before I left on Wednesday (had thu-mon booked off, rotas for the following week go up on the thursday) I asked to see this week's unpublished rota and saw I was 1030-1830 today. So I go in there and spot on the rota I'm actually off today, and they've put me in on Sunday morning, which is another day I've asked for off specifically and was told it was sound, and was there on the version I saw on Wednesday there.

So now I'm on the bus back home before any bosses saw me and now have to deal with that. Will phone later and say Chaz sent the rota to me and kick off.

Fuck sake.

Gav take a photo on your phone of the rota. They can't change it without you knowing
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Rocksteady are recruiting! Time for me to get my hopes up then sorely dashed...
  • For their Batman game? Man that would be awesome.
  • I’ve decided that at the end of November i’m leaving this dumb bar job.

That’s only... 6 more shifts, but i’d rather not get treated like shit for 6 hours every week for £40, life’s too short.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    For their Batman game? Man that would be awesome.

Not clear what the project is. I'm massively under qualified regardless. But have sent my CV for shits and giggles...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Day one of my fancy new role managing, among other things, health and safety and I managed to, like, genuinely burn myself sloshing hot coffee over the side of my mug. Great start.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Your first act as H&S manager should be to replace all mugs with sippy cups.
  • As long as you were wearing a hi-viz vest and a hard hat at the time it’s ok.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Day one of my fancy new role managing, among other things, health and safety and I managed to, like, genuinely burn myself sloshing hot coffee over the side of my mug. Great start.

I hope you filled out an incident report.
  • My manager (who wasnt technical at all) has moved on, got promoted into his boss's job. His role is open for me to apply for. Not sure i want it, its only a 4k payrise for dealing with alot of management stuff. Missus reckons i should do it as it will help getting some extra dough in. However as i explained to her, minus taxes, national insurance etc it might only be £150-£200 extra a month.

I want to stay technical as i enjoy it. If i got the promotion my old boss wants me to be a full on manager and hang up my technical hands-on stuff. Im not having that, the way i see it, my team therefore my way of doing things. This could lead to some friction.

Got a few weeks still before the application deadline to mull things over.
  • Doesn't sound like it's a good fit. Management doesn't suit everyone and it might be better to stay in the role you are in if you enjoy it. Increase in pay is great but not if you end up hating your job.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I agree, but to play a little devil’s advocate … an extra one or two hundred quid might not sound like much – but it’s extra disposable cash. Your outgoings aren’t changing. Your bills stay the same. It’s amazing how much difference just that little extra can make when it’s not earmarked for anything important.
  • Definitely. Although it largely depends on what you're on at the moment - if you're on a comfortable wage now and absolutely love what you do, I vote stick with it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Looking for work at the moment and finding out I may have undervalued myself massively, or the agencies are being bellends. As for the management position, I've also always been averse to taking myself away from the technical work. I consider myself a problem solver not an administrator, but at the end of the day it seems a lot of places want to see that experience on your cv, especially if (as happened to me) yo seem to hit a ceiling in day rate. So a few years on various salaries then hopefully when I go back to self employment that ceiling will have been removed
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @dino I say go for it, you can always get through the process and say no.

You are right, your team your way, and that should be made clear.
    I also assume it's a few quid extra in your pension and one step closer to other promotions if you want them.

No harm seeing the process through.
  • Cheers for the advice, I'm now thinking of going for it. Like workid said I can always say no. Just the ballache of filling in the application form.
    One of my concerns was losing my techie skills, but I have been planning to go contracting for awhile. So I'm thinking get the job, get the extra pay. In the spring look for a contracting role and leave. That way I can say I tried management but it wasn't for me.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Looking for work at the moment and finding out I may have undervalued myself massively, or the agencies are being bellends. As for the management position, I've also always been averse to taking myself away from the technical work. I consider myself a problem solver not an administrator, but at the end of the day it seems a lot of places want to see that experience on your cv, especially if (as happened to me) yo seem to hit a ceiling in day rate. So a few years on various salaries then hopefully when I go back to self employment that ceiling will have been removed

Coco time to get some AWS DB training behind you? They have alot of material online and do offer a years worth of free AWS usage (albeit with tiny vm's). There seems to be alot of demand for AWS skills outhere.
  • Quick opinion call here please as it is 3pm and I have had no reply.

I was told to contact the Faculty Head of my placement School ahead of my next placement to get timetable, lesson structure stuff, etc. I did, he said "come in as much as you can between now and the 5th". I explained i had lectures, he responded saying "it's very important to get as much contact time." 

I spoke to the overall PGDE course lead, to see if I could get authorised absence. She says I cannot go in to the school at all because placements require respect to the local authorities that sorted them out, and to the equity of other students. 

The leader of my English course says I should try and find some days with low impact to go in - which I think for me is next Monday and Tuesday. I have said this to the Faculty Head but no response yet. His last email said he looked forward to seeing me there tomorrow. I have forwarded him my PGDE leader's email saying I cannot attend. Is this enough? 

I feel like I am being put in an impossible position here.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    As usual nobody follows up and nobody is talking to anyone else. Main thing is there is a paper/email trail, and you've done every reasonable thing to arrange it. Keep haranguing the person who can actually effect change until you get a straight answer, it's unlikely to be a priority for them.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I am erring on the side of just going on Monday and Tuesday next week - Monday is a "solo study day" and Tuesday is a class with the Secondary English guy so he can give me time off. I don't want to risk reprimand by missing anything else.
  • Pretty clear case of mixed messages and you being stuck in the middle of it. Not sure of the timescale of all the messages/emails but if you've emailed the Head of Faculty yesterday/today, then I wouldn't be too concerned by the lack of reply as they might have been teaching all day. Their reaction is a bit surprising though and not particularly helpful. You obviously don't want to get off on the wrong foot but at the same time, your uni is restricting your ability to meet the provider's requirements. Is this the first time the uni have use them? Is there not a mentor's handbook that spells out the arrangements? Does seem rather farcical. 

As Skerret said - paper trail. Just try and be as positive about the placement as you can be - in your next email to the Head of Faculty ask for access to their staff intranet and any online resources they use, i.e Google Education stuff etc. 

Ostensibly, the dispute should be resolved between the uni and the school. Personally, I'd wait on the Head of Faculty's response and then reply, cc'ing the relevant uni folks so that they can support/advise/reply on your behalf. As much as the providers I use are useless at times from an admin perspective, they do tend to jump when I ask them to. If your Head of Faculty is so insistent on you attending in uni time then they need to make this clear directly, not via you as the placement student.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I am erring on the side of just going on Monday and Tuesday next week - Monday is a "solo study day" and Tuesday is a class with the Secondary English guy so he can give me time off. I don't want to risk reprimand by missing anything else.

Do you get a week of observing classes before you take them over?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Coco time to get some AWS DB training behind you? They have alot of material online and do offer a years worth of free AWS usage (albeit with tiny vm's). There seems to be alot of demand for AWS skills outhere.

I had a little dabble a year or so back, am setting up a postgres sandbox at the moment to get myself more in depth with PHP. Was using python a bit with the Digital Media stuff as Google have all the advertising stats. So hoping to pin that down a little first but yeah AWS is definitely useful,. and lots of folk are asking about it. I do notice though that in my (limited) experience most guys are so used to the MS stack that they are just paying for Azure instead. Yes it's more expensive but requires less upskilling of existing staff, and the scarcity of AWS dev (which is why the rates yo umentioned were so good) is maybe putting many firms off migrating in case they can't backfill the skillset after natural wastage. Definitely a string I want to add to my bow, I just see it as a luxury at the moment, but that's maybe as I'm looking at two places that seem keen on me who are both using postgres so I'm focusing there at the moment
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I am erring on the side of just going on Monday and Tuesday next week - Monday is a "solo study day" and Tuesday is a class with the Secondary English guy so he can give me time off. I don't want to risk reprimand by missing anything else.
    Do you get a week of observing classes before you take them over?

I honestly don't know how it works really. That would have been what happened in the first Placement, that I couldn't attend. I was told to email the Faculty Head and ask for Timetable and subject information to prep for placement two, his response was to want me in the school, and when I said I had commitments for the course he was quite pushy in saying I should attend and meet the faculty and the classes. Which I agree with... but the PGDE course head doesn't want me to go at all now. I have copied her response to him, and yeah I imagine he is teaching. My plan for this week was actually to buy some more smart clothes for the 6 week placement after my lectures (cos my uni is in town) and now I am going to have to dash to work to get my smart shoes just in case. No big deal but, yeah this whole PGDE rumbles on as a bit of a mess.

My Secondary English teaching advisor has said that the lack of a first placement will be taken into consideration by them and should be taken into consideration by my mentor at the school, so it shouldn't be an issue not getting in. I both udnerstand his insistence, but I feel like it's putting me in a position where I might get disciplined?
  • Hang in there temps!!! Fuck a round of dealing with shitty admin. You have my sympathies.

I don't think you'll get disciplined, as Dr. Skez said, you've got a paper trail showing you're doing your best to get an answer out of the people involved.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!