Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I really fucking hate my job sometimes.

Had a customer who bought one of these. Fitted it himself, not through us. Now it's on, the bracket will not release. The instructions for removing are incredibly simple. Lift, drop, lift and it comes off.

He's been in store who have a demo unit, and is able to remove that one himself using this process. His won't shift though. So it's quite obviously a faulty bracket. Due to the design of the bracket, it's not possible to remove it from the wall without first lifting the TV off. Which we can't do. So he obviously can't bring it back into store.

There is no more tech support that can be done at this point, it's now a customer service issue. Customer services won't touch it because he installed it himself. I point out how it is impossible to remove due to the design, and after several minutes on hold I'm told they need to speak to the manufacturer.

I go to find contact details, and Sandstrom is an OEM brand. So I ask my manager what to do. "he has to remove it". Yeah, but he can't, it's not physically possible. "you're not listening to me". No mate, you aren't listening to me. The laws of physics do not allow this to be removed from the wall without releasing the bracket. The fault is with the bracket's release. "He's doing it wrong." Even though he has been in store and is able to use the exact same process to remove the demo unit? "that's not relevant, he needs to get it off" He can't because the release mechanism is faulty. "we don't know if it is faulty".

So I told the client all this, and that I agree with him and provided the complaints details without him requesting them.
  • This might sound argumentative but what's the issue you have? Is it because you cant get someone to go out and sort the issue? Because I can kind of see the managers point. It's a bit dickish but if you have a guy who goes out there and has to damage either the wall or the TV, chances are you guys will have to cover the cost. You don't know for certain that the guy fitted it properly because you didn't do the install.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's not possible for the customer to return the item to the store. We are both the seller and the manufacturer of the product. We have qualified people who can be sent out to assess if there is a fault.
  • Tried to remonstrate with my superiors about my disappointment over the rota issues.

No eye contact, barely looking from their PC screen, interrupting me when I'm trying to make my point, and the delicious line of "well we made a mistake, it got fixed, next"

Had to leave as I could feel myself getting upset. Went and hid in a toilet to get it all out. Fuck my actual whole life.
  • It's not possible for the customer to return the item to the store. We are both the seller and the manufacturer of the product. We have qualified people who can be sent out to assess if there is a fault.

I must apologise , I didn't realise it was a PC world made product. That does make it something that should be a bit easier for you to handle. Even so though, if a qualified person goes out and says that the issue is not the unit but the way it's been installed, I'm guessing that's the profit wiped out on a few units just because a guy has botched the install (to be fair, it could also be a faulty unit)

I suppose I see both sides of this. I've been the wolly on the other end who botched an install on a toilet valve once. Badly. I had to get a proper plumber in to fix it, but the fault was on me at that point.

SFV - reddave360
  • Tried to remonstrate with my superiors about my disappointment over the rota issues. No eye contact, barely looking from their PC screen, interrupting me when I'm trying to make my point, and the delicious line of "well we made a mistake, it got fixed, next" Had to leave as I could feel myself getting upset. Went and hid in a toilet to get it all out. Fuck my actual whole life.
    Keep the faith Gav. I think you're just going through a rough patch at the moment and it's amplifying molehills into mountains. I'm sure you'll come out the other side soon enough mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's a pretty bad display of management. It's one thing to make the mistake , these things do happen, but the casual attitude shown is horrible. How are you supposed to feel valued with that?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, that’s shitty management right there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Thats fucked Gav, man is a child and shouldn't be in the job barring him having dreadful personal issues that are happening right now. That aside, bleh
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've just put in my first CV in 17 years. It's for a job working with young people but linking to careers. It's working from home and it's a senior management job. I don't know what the fuck I've just done.
  • You've done A Good Thing, for yourself. Props.

I should say, I took G's advice and had a bit of a look at myself. My mental state wasn't helping matters. It is what it is. We all have times we let things get to us in such ways, and I did there. The trick now is to learn not to.
  • Good man!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Synergy and journey in the same sentence = I have a migraine.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Synergourney
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I've just put in my first CV in 17 years. It's for a job working with young people but linking to careers. It's working from home and it's a senior management job. I don't know what the fuck I've just done.

Done a good thing?

Remember, just because you're applying, doesn't necessarily mean you have to take the job. Last year I did my first 2 interviews in nearly 15 years. Didn't get either, but feel much better prepared if my current job does fall through and I need to seriously enter the job market again.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Skerret wrote:
    Synergourney

Ill lock gates with a value chain.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    I’ll lock gates with a value chain.

Don’t worry, we’re fully across that.
  • While you're unpacking this, I'm going inside the box. Anyone who tries to get me out gets bitten.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Done a good thing?

Remember, just because you're applying, doesn't necessarily mean you have to take the job. Last year I did my first 2 interviews in nearly 15 years. Didn't get either, but feel much better prepared if my current job does fall through and I need to seriously enter the job market again.

I have a phone interview on 11th April
  • Skerret wrote:
    Synergourney

Weaver?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Good luck, Reg!
  • Best of luck, Reg.
  • They say it helps to be relaxed in an interview. Therefore would a phone interview whilst in a hot bath with a glass of wine be advisable?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna be naked throughout
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    *Reg in the buff*

*Skype starts ringing*
  • You could do a power trip interview. In front of a mirror, wearing either a tux plus executive arm candy or a full Batman outfit.
  • Easter Easter Easter Easter yeeeeah.
  • Just got started with anew client learning their filing and timesheets.
    At that point he tells me my hourly rate isn't very high but his clients won't approve any higher so I'm to add 20% extra time to every job I do.

Sweet.
  • My God, I'd forgotten how slow time passes at work.

How the fuck do we cope with this shit?
  • My God, I'd forgotten how slow time passes at work.

How the fuck do we cope with this shit?

Not that it's an option for everyone but I absolutely recommend a job where you can move around a lot. I could not handle a desk job for very long.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!