Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Was off work for a week there, first shift back tonight. And there's changes afoot, if the scuttlebut is to be believed.

Cineworld ranks its sites by complexity, with 1+ being the highest, 5 being the lowest. My site is a 1+, and my salary is related to the complexity of the site I work at. Apparently the regional manager is planning on moving managers about. But there's not another 1+ site in Scotland, so if I do get moved, I'll be forced to take a wage drop as well.

I'm pretty sure I'll be one of the ones that get shuffled. I've highlighted my own lack of performance recently, my mental health issues are still kicking my arse. I've asked for support, a change in shift patterns, and my gaffer has agreed in principle, but fuck alls came of it.

I can't afford to lose money, I barely survive as it is. I'm freaking. The. Fuck. Out.
  • Wouldn't you get a protected salary for a period of time if they moved you about?
  • Nope, when we went through the redundancy process they wrote a mobility clause into our contracts, so we're pretty much fucked.

Only complexity 2 and above have a dgm in them. When I started in 2015, Falkirk was a comp 2, during the restructure was reviewed down to a comp3, so their dgm managed to secure a job in silverburn, a comp2.

Last year Falkirk performed fairly well, so they bumped it back up to 2, and one of my colleagues got the dgm job. Heard today it's going back down to a 3, and that my gm has already said she'll keep a job for him here. There's 2 other managers going off on maternity in a couple of months, so he'll get one of them, the other ones being advertised as a secondment to run our vip level. Think there's a few managers in the circuit going for that. But it doesn't make my position here any sercurer.

(is that a word?)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    More secure.

Sorry to hear that man, but it does sound a bit like you’ve been ready to make a move for a while now, maybe this will be a welcome kick up the arse?
  • Oh aye, I definitely want out and have done for a while. It's the finding something else that's the hard part. I must apply for at least a dozen jobs a week. And exactly 3/4 of fuck all comes from it. As pantys earlier post shows, you can be qualified all the way up the arse and still not even get a reply.

• With a full time job and other commitments, you shouldn't be able to apply for 12 jobs a week. I'd suggest concentrating on 1 or 2 and making your application tailored and stronger. I rarely hire, or shortlist, anyone that sends in a generic application.
  • You're right there I suppose. I generally go through all the job apps, Reed, s1jobs, monster etc and hit the 1 click apply button. Have fuck all motivation in general just now, finding the time and motivation to do tailored applications isn't in me just now.

I know, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to this stuff.
  • I suggest speaking to agencies if possible.
    A good recruiter isn't always easy to come by but when you do they are brilliant.

See if, at the very least, you can get one that will run a CV critique for you.
    Ideally a good recruiter should be able to break down your skillset and apply it to jobs effectively, jobs that may not necessarily be obvious.

I think people, myself included, tend to get bogged down by the industry they are in and miss that skills are transferable.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    You're right there I suppose. I generally go through all the job apps, Reed, s1jobs, monster etc and hit the 1 click apply button. Have fuck all motivation in general just now, finding the time and motivation to do tailored applications isn't in me just now.

I know, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to this stuff.

It wasn't meant as a criticism, so I hope you didn't take it as such. Just trying to help with some general advice.

I'm certain if you did 1-2 solid applications, you'd get more traction and that would, in turn, make you feel better than thinking 8/12 companies aren't interested in you.

Liv's comments about transferable skills and agencies are true too.

• Not at all mate, didn't think that for a second. All input is always greatly appreciated.

R. E. Qualifications, I've just been told by someone that has one that I could probably get myself a cipd qualification based on the work I currently do - I'm in charge of hr for nearly 200 staff, apparently they give certification based on practical experience, so gonna look into that. I'm pursuing an internal engineer job as well, but dunno if that'll bear fruit, or if it would be any better, our current engineer spends days away from home. It's the lack of work life balance in my current job that's really getting to me just now.
  • I wrote a long post but seemed a bit me me so will summarise.

I think it easy to get in a situation where you cant see the wood for the trees in working life. It is easy to end up in a rutt. In a job you might not like but it pays the bills.
    Then disaster strikes and that comfy little rutt has been shattered.
    It's ok to have a wobble, a panic, I would worry about someone that didn't.

To move forward though I think it is important to try to turn disaster into opportunity. Reframe your perspective of the situation.
    I've had to do it by necessity recently and the results have been really positive, still worried about income but much happier about the future.
    The key thing in my mind is to try to put energy into what you can control rather than what you can't.

Obviously you will know better than me, but from his posts here at the time, Gav's move out of retail after the CEX shit is a great example.

Edit: that reads like some right new age cunt buy my book shit, sorry
  • Yeah I'm looking to get out of here.

I've been on rolling 6mth contracts since I started here last January, and since I done my knee and had ten days off (really should've been 4wk according to the physio), I'm back cos my current contract is running out soon and currently I've been given no reassurances or any date as to when I'll have a meeting about it like I usually would. So the uncertainty makes me nervous. And I'm in here walking for a living on a knee that hasn't healed fully and I'm exhausted even on light duties, but I had to come back. I should still get the next 6mth which would mean a permanent contract at the end of it cos they can't do this for more than two years by law. But I'm not earning enough anyway. Time to get an actual salary and security. Don't really care what it is.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

• I'd love to be a driving instructor, just can't afford the startup money.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Erm, do we really think that's a growth industry??

I mean I'm not exactly known for my forward planning but you know

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/06/uk/driverless-cars-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

and stuff
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Real talk, it's important to look at growth industries and think particularly around your local area what is needed. No point being a graphic designer in castlemilk where there's plenty of proficient graffiti kids.

I'd advise Gav against going solo at this point as I don't think it's in his best interests.

That being said, he could easily move to being, for example, a PSA in schools for kids with additional support needs, and he might find that far more rewarding.

Gav - if you need any help with that if it sounds like something good for you, let me know.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Real talk, steer clear of education, I'm not saying it's a toxic environment that is strugling to work out how to justify itself, and ruining itself with meaningless metrics, because they're easier to quantify. But once you're doing it, everyone who doesn't do it will assume you have some easy life only working 6 hours a day and getting 13 weeks off a year, yet all those who do it will expect you do be answering emails from your hospital bed mid-surgery ;)

I put the winky right fucking there Reg, don;t dare be offended, or at least be offended by right people, not this bloke who was pointing out your predicament, not justifying it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I was being quite serious.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think I just got offered a job as a CIO in a new company but I'm not sure.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Noice. What’s the deets?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Real talk, steer clear of education, I'm not saying it's a toxic environment that is strugling to work out how to justify itself, and ruining itself with meaningless metrics, because they're easier to quantify. But once you're doing it, everyone who doesn't do it will assume you have some easy life only working 6 hours a day and getting 13 weeks off a year, yet all those who do it will expect you do be answering emails from your hospital bed mid-surgery ;)

I put the winky right fucking there Reg, don;t dare be offended, or at least be offended by right people, not this bloke who was pointing out your predicament, not justifying it

How very fucking dare yo-- oh wait there's a winky.
  • Skerret wrote:

Woah. Congratulations (I hope)!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Noice. What’s the deets?
    Spinoff funded in the 1m+ range, 8 figure valuation, team who I have worked with extensively prior as tech brain. Yet to ascertain if this is a thought bubble yet as old m8 is a bit of a character but it's been alluded to a few times. If I get a proper sounding out I'll have a proper think but, well, heck. 50% bigger base salary would go some way to funding my vinyl habit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    … would go some way to funding my vinyl headphone habit.

Interesting times, Skezza.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wowsers Skezza, great work, good luck
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Of course it will come to nothing like these things always do but who knows.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    … would go some way to funding my vinyl headphone habit.

Interesting times, Skezza.
    Quite.

• Skerret wrote:

Catheter Inspection Officer?

Change of pace for you but whatever floats your boat I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sailing the piss-dark sea.
  • Seems like everyone is on the up. 
    Which is fantastic, I'm so happy for everyone getting jobs they wanted, needed or didn't think they'd get. 

Mine starts on the 8th and the company summer party is the same week. Nice of them to arrange a company wide party just for my starting.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!