• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I only ever get the same one at FM tbf, olives and anchovies. I get the anchovy option at every pizza place. FM dough is what seals it for me.

The Wandercrust dough is at least as good.
  • If I'm ever in the area.
  • Sounds like your work place requires improvement, Reg. Weekend residentials? Joke.

I too am struggling to balance all my different roles and am failing at them all. Very tough.
  • I think I need a lie down, actually.
  • Just finished my 3 day Unreal Engine conference.
    My mind is absolutely blown, saw so many cool things.
    The whole event was aimed at showcasing what Unreal can do outside of gaming. So many implementations both brand new for 3d and advancements or new workflows on more traditional industries.

Had a keynote this morning with the creative motion director of the BBC, focusing on their journey to bring the new MotD studio to life using Unreal.
    Other than the desk and plinth it sits on the whole studio runs realtime in Unreal. Despite being a much bigger virtual studio it is actually quite small in comparison to what they had last season. Lineker hated it.

I will do a bit more of a write up about the event itself for Cinty and some of the other interesting things I saw. I might post that in No Subject because I can put stuff in about 10 different threads.
  • I even learnt about raytracing implementation and optimisation.
    No one tell DS.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I will do a bit more of a write up about the event itself for Cinty and some of the other interesting things I saw. I might post that in No Subject because I can put stuff in about 10 different threads.

Thank you!

Also, if you got any contacts / emails - drop me a PM.
  • I am excited to read about this stuff as I imagine it may be relevant to my future.

Have been thinking about importing my Max scene into Unreal for that delicious lighting
  • I would say almost certainly so mate.
    They have gone fucking nuts and are looking to take over the entire 3d sector.
    They are acquiring assets left right and centre then delivering them for free. They are working directly with various studios from all different sectors to deliver proof of concept examples.

I was chatting to a Texan guy who was contracting for them. I was saying how great it was that they are able to offer all this, his response "well the Fortnite money helps".
  • Yeah, I think they just bought another asset house recently and will be releasing the entire library for free to UE4 users over time. It’s crazy, but also brilliant.
  • Yeah Quixel, was announced on Tuesday's keynote. Amazing pool of resources offered for free that will effectively kill competition.
    They have made Unity irrelevant imho. Frostbite is lols as well.

What they dont have at the moment is solid asset creation tools within engine. It is still the case that people will likely need to use Max/Maya etc. They are apparently working on it though and I think they will get there within 18 months or so.
  • Yeah they've really gone ham sandwich. There are so many sick things we can use UE for in construction now that are free and awesomely optimised for graphical performance without crushing machines compared to other software that it's a joke.

A lad from our office in one morning put together a tech demo in the UE4 developer tools that allowed multiple users able to log into a single instance model of a building and review it from wherever they wanted with each person getting an avatar with controller support for moving around and a fucking minimap so you can see where everyone is in the model and you can see where each person is currently standing or when they are pointing at something when they want to talk about it. The model of the building came straight in from the modelling software we use (Revit), textures came across nicely, then we baked in since realistic lighting in a matter of minutes. Piece of piss, and it fucking destroyed Unity which we were using previously in a much more limited capacity. All the inbuilt development tools, the visual programming and out of the box optimisation stuff for games just dumps on the competition.

In b4 Unreal gain a monopoly hold and become total pricks tho.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Quixel - that’s the one. Yeah, that’s a huge deal and should be a massive boon in the indie scene when trying to ease the burden on stuff like asset creation.

Frostbite is a non-entity for most companies, but Unity will feel this hard in a lot of places.
  • Oh yeah. I mean it makes AAA level graphical assets an indie possibility.
  • Roujin wrote:
    ln b4 Unreal gain a monopoly hold and become total pricks tho.

To be fair, they were also very generous with UE3 and you only really had to pay when a game when to market (although I could be mistaken on exact details). The difference then the fact that Epic didn’t have crazy money to throw around. Plus, you know, scaling difficulties of stuff like creating environmental assets etc.
  • And yeah I am sure at some point Epic will become Epic cunts but right now I'm full of thai curry that they fed me so they are my favourites.
  • I don't even get curry from them and they are my fave bois/grills rn fyi btw as well.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I like them because my company partly owns them or something.
  • They have also never bought me curry.
  • Roujin wrote:
    I don't even get curry from them and they are my fave bois/grills rn fyi btw as well.
    You should definitely look to attend next year's event. It is only £100, should be able to get that past brass.
  • Lol no, I'm forever deployed to the trenches, doing hand to hand combat with badly implanted data schema and grumpy contractors with my trench knife of understanding how to move data about between different platforms.
  • Shame.
    A firm called Shop did a great keynote that is right on what you do.
  • Yeah there are lots of things I wish I could attend that would help the business develop better workflows or optimise how we do things, but unfortunately for the foreseeable I'm chained to projects to extract dat max number of billable hours per month from the client in a show of classy, short sighted, basic bitch capitalism.

For instance - We could be working to integrate using drones to photogrammetrically generate models from images they take on site site to compare against the proposed models, to save hours of wasted time and effort of people wandering around site with all the risks that go with it, but no.
  • MuppetChristmasCarolHulaDancingRats.scene
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not convinced it makes unit irrelevant. Scripting and logic conposibility felt way better when I last tried then anyway, and that's more important to most indies than AAA graphics...
  • Livdiv when will we see the new motd studio using unreal engine or can you not say for nda reasons.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Livdiv when will we see the new motd studio using unreal engine or can you not say for nda reasons.
    It is the current studio mate. MotD, Football Focus, Final Score and the other one are all using it now.

They were also quite sheepish about it and recognised it as a first edition. Fully focused on offering more especially when they fly through the rear wall to show the pitch/stadium.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm not convinced it makes unit irrelevant. Scripting and logic conposibility felt way better when I last tried then anyway, and that's more important to most indies than AAA graphics...
    I'm no coder so I wont pretend to know otherwise. What I will say is if there is an engine doing something better than Unreal they will target that feature and try to surpass it.

If you have that kind of issue I would suggest signing up to Unreal Academy and emailing them.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Livdiv when will we see the new motd studio using unreal engine or can you not say for nda reasons.
    It is the current studio mate. MotD, Football Focus, Final Score and the other one are all using it now. They were also quite sheepish about it and recognised it as a first edition. Fully focused on offering more especially when they fly through the rear wall to show the pitch/stadium.

Did they do the VR stuff for the World Cup with it?
  • They didnt mention it tbh, although the World Cup studio wasn't in Unreal, I dont think they had moved onto it yet. Could have been another department though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!