Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I can’t believe someone would do that. I got a bunch of 50p robbed at work. You get so comfortable, and you probably recognise them, that it feels worse. I hate that that’s happened to you.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Think some cunts nicked my phone at work

I thought you wanted to be off phones at work
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Eehh.

Turns out I put it in the locker next to mine cos I'm a fucking idiot. Got it back this morning. Having the shit ripped out of me for it.
  • Deservedly so. At least you’ve got your phone back though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Which cunt did you think it was though???
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have my suspicions. May still drop an elbow to the jaw regardless
  • Yeah mate, you cant let them get away with that.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Years ago, moving into a new office, we had an employee help herself to new artwork installed around the building. New office came with newly installed CCTV, quickest firing I’ve ever seen.
    Things can only get better.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Kazuo wrote:
    Hmm, one of the few very good jobs in my (relatively narrow) field that would be a natural step up from my level has just come up. Feels inevitable that I should chuck in an application, but I'm suddenly having a crisis of confidence. It would be the first thing I've applied for in about five years, and I'm plagued by worries that I will be caught short by the leap in terms of responsibilities involved. I should probably give my head a wobble, stop thinking so far ahead, and just set myself the goal of getting an application done.  Now how the hell do you write one of those again?
    So I applied for this job and have just been invited to interview on Monday. Fucking... Eek.

So after interviewing for this and acquitting myself as well as I could, it turns out I didn't get this job. That's fair enough, as I thought they would probably have had stronger candidates to offer it to. But they waited til the end of the week to let me know in a curt email just a couple of lines long, the same you would send for someone who didn't get an interview rather than one who spent nearly an hour basically presenting for the job. I might have at least expected a phone call. So on top of everything else today that's put me out slightly. What a Friday 13th.
  • Chin up, Kaz. Next time!
  • Fuck ’em. Whoever they were.

Good practice for you Kaz, ready for next time.
  • Chin up mate. You're time will come.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What arseholes. You’re right to be annoyed. Basic courtesy would be a phone call, I would expect that after an interview no matter what position. If there were a lot of candidates then a nice polite email explaining why, at the very least.

I was furious at my boss in my last job because he got a load of people in for interviews for our ‘team’ (which I had to organise), he interviewed them all turning up late, and then never got back in touch with them to say they didn’t get the job. They emailed me for updates (because he wouldn’t reply) and I asked each time if I can give them a call/email to explain that they didn’t get it this time but thank you and any feedback why. Boss said no, he’d do it, and of course he never did. So I just emailed them back saying he will get back to them.

I sent them a nice email reply after about 2 months and apologised. I’ve been in that position, I’ve been job searching where you put your CV to hundreds of places and when you get that interview it’s such a massive thing. I’ve also been ignored after and thought I was better off without them.

Reason #342 why I left that place lol. He was a really nice dude, but if I didn’t act like his PA most of the time stuff would never get done.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fuck em Kaz you're better than that shithole
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tbf a lot of people feel that good practice is to always deliver rejections by email because candidates expect to recieve good news by phone and bad news by email. In that sense I wouldn't take it personally although the email being curt is a bit shit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry Kaz, I know it sucks, but I'm surprised you expected much more than the email you got. Assume I'm the guy interviewing you. What was one hour for you was three man hours for me, as I've taken other people off work to assist with the interview, plus my own time. This comes at a time when I'm already short staffed, else I wouldn't be hiring would I?

Absolutely feel free to email for feedback, I'd always appreciate that, but when I've wasted an afternoon interviewing three people who aren't suitable, I'm (unfortunately) going to thrown you all in the same bracket and send a standard email out. Not ideal no, but realistic, sorry
  • Appreciate the feedback all. To be fair to the guy (and Cocko's response) I emailed an asked for some fuller feedback and he has offered to have a phone chat with me next week. But yes, onwards, upwards, all that fun stuff.
  • Sorry to hear that Kaz.

Cosmic, dunno what world you’re living in where you think a phone call is the kind of thing you get after failing a job app or interview these days, you’re lucky if you get anything beyond a template. Absolutely blown away that Kaz is getting any feedback at all.

Ended up going into work today when I was apparently rota’d off (manager forgot to update me) but they were getting fucking slammed so I stayed, despite the fact I am knackered and have tons of uni work. Hate this stupid bar, but can’t bare to see the staff strung out on a night like tonight.
  • An email! Oh we used to dream of getting an email!
  • So me and a collegue got a 3 figure finanical thank you for a job well done by our project manager for a particular task. Programme Manager calls me aside a few days later to say we cant have the bonus. The head of the division is changing how bonuses/finanical thank you's work. I explain both myself and colleague have already recieved the money in our accounts. He's cool with that and says "fine...keep it. Just keep it quiet". Then a week later i get an email from internal communications team. "Hi, we would like to feature you and dave in our monthly newsletter (that goes out to the wntire conpany) as you both received a bonus/financial thank you". Oh fuck...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Cosmic, dunno what world you’re living in where you think a phone call is the kind of thing you get after failing a job app or interview these days, you’re lucky if you get anything beyond a template. Absolutely blown away that Kaz is getting any feedback at all.

Ended up going into work today when I was apparently rota’d off (manager forgot to update me) but they were getting fucking slammed so I stayed, despite the fact I am knackered and have tons of uni work. Hate this stupid bar, but can’t bare to see the staff strung out on a night like tonight.

But that’s so fucked up! I remember getting a phone call after interviews in little high street shops. Suppose they were local so maybe had more time. I get that an email might be a bit better to not get hopes up though.

If you’ve spoken to someone face to face and they’ve made this trip in, and probably taken time off work to do so, then a quick call to say ‘unfortunately not this time’ is not exactly putting yourself out. But then I guess the world is full of cunts and who gives a shit right and their time is way too important for such trivial things like being nice or whatever.

Also yeah that’s super annoying tempy, I used to hate going all the way in to find it had changed the day before or something. Hope you didn’t exhaust yourself too much. Nice of you to stay though, I’m sure they appreciated it.

Oh and congrats Dino! Hope things don’t get awkward... also bullshit move to promise it then try and take it back.
  • An email! Oh we used to dream of getting an email!

Back in my day you’d get a brick through the window saying NO JOB
  • Oh you had windows did you...?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Tempy wrote:
    Cosmic, dunno what world you’re living in where you think a phone call is the kind of thing you get after failing a job app or interview these days, you’re lucky if you get anything beyond a template. Absolutely blown away that Kaz is getting any feedback at all. Ended up going into work today when I was apparently rota’d off (manager forgot to update me) but they were getting fucking slammed so I stayed, despite the fact I am knackered and have tons of uni work. Hate this stupid bar, but can’t bare to see the staff strung out on a night like tonight.
    But that’s so fucked up! I remember getting a phone call after interviews in little high street shops. Suppose they were local so maybe had more time. I get that an email might be a bit better to not get hopes up though. If you’ve spoken to someone face to face and they’ve made this trip in, and probably taken time off work to do so, then a quick call to say ‘unfortunately not this time’ is not exactly putting yourself out. But then I guess the world is full of cunts and who gives a shit right and their time is way too important for such trivial things like being nice or whatever.

I think the world is full of cunts, aye, but a lot of that is auxillary to the process of applying for a job. The main reasons tend to be structural. Applying for Jobs to Glasgow Uni for example is a terrible thing cos you have to do massive 2-3k word documents and then the person who decides whether your application gets passed through isn't even in the same sector- they're just tasked with checking your work against tick boxes. I have some sympathy though, the job economy is vile at the moment and positions often have 100s of applicants. I like the way the NHS does it, even if it can be seen as sort of counter intuitive - they have a cap on applications which means that realistically everyone should hear back.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Oh you had windows did you...?

hahahaha, the anti ubermod

buy a mac
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Oh you had windows did you...?

Oh we used to DREAM of Windows. When I were a lad we had to walk 15 miles in the snow just to get a glimpse of a window and even when we got there we had to pay the man for the good grace of a peep.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The hazards of the works Christmas do. This was the corporate shindig - so loads of people at it.

I have a memory of briefly lying flat on my back on the dance floor Friday night and being heaved into a vertical position by several young men to whom I will be eternally grateful. I have no idea who they were. It was the result of my over-enthusiastic dance moves given the amount of whiskey I had previously consumed.

I carried on in a less adventurous mode.

It was later on when a lot of people had left. However a sheepish look will be adopted tomorrow morn.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dance into the office on Monday.
  • Dance into the office on Monday.

Yes do that and pretend to fall over ala as you did at the Xmas do

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!