Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Thanks. I’ve never felt more confident in my life than when in that room.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think for the position you were aiming for you nailed it. Maybe they can only stretch so far in the budget but either way you've not only shown your past experience but you've also shown you have a hugely positive and ambitious attitude which it sounds like is vital for that role. They should push the boat out for you.

But even if they dont, I think its great that you know how to present yourself so well and confidently. Many people trip up here (myself included at one point). 

Hope you get the job, huge well done regardless.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Whoop and yes fingers crossed!!
  • Best of luck Wookie.
  • Thanks guys.
    I asked them at the end about career progression and they said they often have people move up to General manager of sites and even area manager from my role and are keen to promote it for those who want it.
    The regional manager then said “from what I’ve seen so dar I’ll be shocked if you aren’t offered a higher position and be running a whole site within 3 years if you’re successful in this role.”

So ya know, fingers crossed.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • It’ll be nice to have a job where I’m not dealing with utter scumbags all day.
  • It’ll be nice to have a job where I’m not dealing with utter scumbags all day.

Oh, not going to take the gym role then?
  • :D
  • Think that interview went as good as it could've, especially since I was up watching the ufc live this morning with mates.

It's less money than I'm on just now but in speaking to the manager I'm sold on the opportunities for progression. What's she's done in just a year is staggering, and like I mentioned previously, it's only gonna get better once Ashley is gone. There's no concessions for parking so I may have to travel via train again which I do not like as I don't ever want to let anyone down via Scotrail's daily fuckery, but she was very accommodating and told me not to worry. Maybe the ptsd from cex was showing there I dunno. Seems a good team she's got there.

Will find out next week! Lots to ponder. Your opinions, please. Work/life, etc.
  • How much would the difference in income affect you?

Also, I presume this isn't a fixed term contract like you have now?
  • About £100 less a month. And will then presumably be spending more on transport so its a double loss I'd think.

It's permanent. 40hrs p/w flat. Expected overtime at Xmas and kit launches.
  • Sounds like you actually quite fancy a move back into retail, despite how much it wound you up at HMV and CEX. At least with this sort of gig, you know what you’re getting yourself into. Whereas the NHS was a shot in the dark.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sounds good Gav, you know the industry yore returning to, so shouldn't be any huge surprises. As for the money difference, if you're anything like me then in reality it just makes the month a day or two shorter or longer than the pay, no great impact. I know many who live to their means no matter what the income is
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The hospital job has turned into a bit of a dead-end from what you've told us Gav, so this might well be a decent move for you if you can absorb the loss in earnings, and at least you have a vested interest with the product.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life, etc etc.
  • Id say the same thing people have told me, sometimes happiness is more important than money. If you think you'll ultimately be happier in this job then go for it I say.

I'm going to hear tomorrow about the gym manager job I want and after two really varied and interesting days at my current job I've ended the weekend with some doubt now. I know my job has caused me lots of stress and actually made me sick through it but if I step away from this career I'll never get back plus it has a lot of job security with a great pension and lots of benefits. 

On the other hand the gym manager job will allow me to be able to be at home to pick my kids up from school every day and have the evenings free to teach karate again which is what if I'm honest I really want to do with my life. Plus I'm told that within 3/4 years I'll likely be running my own site with a big increase in salary. Which is always nice...
  • Hopefully you get offered the new job because its always nice to have the option to choose. Often we have to take what's on offer and make the best of things so it would be great for you to make a choice from both, knowing a pretty clear idea of what each choice represents.

Don't know you that well but I think the gym life sounds like more of where you want to go in terms of overall lifestyle.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yea that’s what I’m thinking.
    I’m very fortunate to be in a strong position right now, if I get offered the job and the salary meets my needs then I can make a choice. If I don’t get it then I can just carry on as I am now until the day comes when I either find a more suitable position or I progress/transfer to a different area of my current job
  • Gym sounds like the winner Wookie.

Happiness is always without question the winner over money. Easier said then done I know but it's 100% true.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I've just realised one of my clients (client A) has been picking up work from another one of my clients (client B ) and out sourcing it to me.
    Thing is Client A is picking up all the faff that goes along with a project and isn't normally billed, plus they are paying me an extra 15%.

Just emailed Client B to up my rate as they can obviously afford it.
  • I hate people who interrupt you to ask you the thing you were halfway through telling them. Repeatedly.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I'm guilty of interrupting in just such a manner sometimes but have become aware of it and trying to stop myself. Apologies on behalf of all the impatient dicks out there who feel bad about doing it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I used to be quite bad for trying to answer people's questions before they'd finished asking them, only for them to have to reiterate the question because my premature response didn't fully answer it.

I've learned to get better at just shutting up and letting people finish before chipping in.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I hate people who interrupt you to ask you the thing you

What thing though? Any particular type of thing?
  • Also don't open a call with "It's Mr Eric Wimp from 29 Acacia Road BN4 4NA and my reference number is 20BIGMEN". 

I'm going to have to ask you for all of that again.
  • Also don't open a call with "It's Mr Eric Wimp from 29 Acacia Road BN4 4NA and my reference number is 20BIGMEN".  I'm going to have to ask you for all of that again.

Fucking Hell Dante, GDPR alert.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Isn’t his password BANANA anyway?
  • That's the 3rd party password. It's not clear what relationship the 3rd party is to Eric.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    is there Brighton gay joke hidden in there?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You know banana man never eats a full banana.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!