Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Christ I'm keen to get back to the office even if its just one day a week.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I'm keen on never leaving the house again.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • First day of work today, since lockdown began...... Christ, I'm definitely not a morning person!

Trainer was funny though, imagine if you bought Billy conolly from wish, he was pretty much that.

Out in the van tomorrow, I'll be practicing my 'parcel fur ye hen!' voice in the mirror tonight.
  • That’s me on furlough, as of tonight. I’m genuinely thrilled. Three weeks off and it’s actually enforced. I can’t be called in for emergencies or anything.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Chuffed the first day went well HBJ. Keep on trucking bud.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • poprock wrote:
    That’s me on furlough, as of tonight. I’m genuinely thrilled. Three weeks off and it’s actually enforced. I can’t be called in for emergencies or anything.

You lucky sod. My Dr said I shouldve received a letter saying I needed to be shielding and staying indoors but I never got it, so I've been working throughout this whole thing. Out on the bloody frontline having to go into peoples houses. Feel so unsafe

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Can't change it now, so try not to overworry, what's done is done, just affect what you can now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Wookie, I've been looking at the shielding guidance for work and it says receive a letter or been told by their GP or hospital clinician - might be worth seeing if your GP can sort you out?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • You can self register as shielding if you feel you've been missed off. Either online here, or by phoning 0800 028 8327.  You don't need to want additional support to register. Deadline for registering is 17th July (mainly because support will be stopping from August 1st).  They usually check with your GP, but it doesn't sound like that'll be a problem.
  • Trying to negotiate work for the coming season with a company that literally holds all the cards while I'm just serving drinks at the table. Fucking hate this level of fuckery.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've now shown my hand. Nobody blink!

mKEGXd6.gif
  • Still in the game. Next hand...
    SKpETjB.gif
  • 9So868Q.gif
  • Bunch of jobs going at a game dev in Elgin:
    https://apply.workable.com/huntedcow/

It’s quite a long way north (for anyone except Unlikely).
  • I need to stop pitching articles for a while. No one has a budget. It's a waste of time.

I want to try and set something else up by the end of summer. Basically become a freelance copywriter, wirting website content, blog posts, whatever, on demand. Need to sort myself out a website and put together a list of contacts this month.

If anyone knows anyone who might want some kind of creative written content, do let me know.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Have you thought about crowdfunding a book or pitching one to someone that might be receptive like Bitmap Books? Might not be a viable option but since you've got something published you've got that to point at and it would get a big block of content funded if you could get it to work.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I've not thought about another book yet, no. I wanted to build in some other areas first. But crowdfunding might not be a bad idea if/when I get to it.
  • JonB wrote:
    I need to stop pitching articles for a while. No one has a budget. It's a waste of time.

I want to try and set something else up by the end of summer. Basically become a freelance copywriter, wirting website content, blog posts, whatever, on demand. Need to sort myself out a website and put together a list of contacts this month.

If anyone knows anyone who might want some kind of creative written content, do let me know.

I don’t want to be super negative, but that’s a really hard gig to pull off.

My brother-in-law was running a copywriting company for a while, but he found that pay per article was so low it wasn’t worth writing. Plus there’s loads of arseholes out there who don’t value that work, who want you do it for free and claim you’ll get experience in return - when you can’t pay the bills on experience.

If you’ve done your research and you can make it work, then obviously go for it. You’re obviously a solid writer, so maybe your experience will be different. Having said that, he’s a solid writer too.
  • I use copywriters from time to time. Day rates are pretty good if you can get into doing corporate work for design agencies.

Like right now, I’m using a copywriter to write a coffee table book on the history of a leather manufacturer. Lots of research, fact-checking, interviewing ex-chairmen who have retired, etc. As well as doing the actual writing, of course.
  • A "promotion" has came up in work, and whilst I have numerous colleagues saying I should go for it, I'm thinking no fucking ta. Quotation marks for the fact it's more stress, being back on nightshifts, and a harder rota overall for work/life, for little to no financial benefit. All I'd get is the "unsocial hours" bonus working on nightshift gets you. And considering how mental the entire "banding" pay grade is in NHS industries, I'd be "above" colleagues and giving them work whilst they collect more money than me. Oh, and I'd be directly under the most lazy fucker in here. I'd essentially be his bitch.

So no, no thanks.
  • Yeah, wide bearth from that.
  • Sheesh. Think yourself lucky that you’ve the nous to see that ‘promotion’ for what it is. Had it come up when you were still new, you might have gone for it.
  • The thing is, I went for the last one and let's call him P got it instead. P is now deciding he doesn't want it due to the shift in sleeping pattern from ending nightshift into starting dayshift and being given 24hrs to do so, which is fucked and maybe illegal? So it's his position that's up for grabs.

He's the third newly appointed person in that position who has not liked it and stood down from it, in my time here, for those reasons.

They've done a great job selling it to me!!!..
  • I also only really went for that last one as, at that time, I didn't have a rota or a full time contract, and knew that either way I'd get them if A- I got that job, or B- oor P got it and I'd get his rota.

Which is what happened. So no, no thanks folks.
  • The only legal issue that comes into play with change of shifts is that you can't be asked to work more than 8hrs in a 24hr period.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nah. Never go for a promotion just for the sake of being promoted. I knocked back one years ago at paddy Power and my gaffer was fuming, but if it's not the right move, don't do it.

In other news, working as a courier - it'd be great, if I didn't have glass ankles. Been hobbling around like I've been picking up the soap in prison for over a week now.
  • You don't pick up soap with your ankles, bud. Use your honds
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Fuck, that's where I've been going wrong.
  • Gremill wrote:
    The only legal issue that comes into play with change of shifts is that you can't be asked to work more than 8hrs in a 24hr period.

Surely not for clinical staff who work 11.5-12.5hr shifts?  

My other half has the same rules I used to, in that you have to have a minimum of 11 hours between shifts.  Finishing a night shift at 0800 Monday means you could do a day shift on Tuesday.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!