Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Ive seen that guy's posts reshared a few times, he is pretty good.
  • That's bad optics, Pop. I'm sure you can speak to it on your next meeting though, maybe have a deck to run through.
  • We should have a standup on it tomorrow morning before we circle back. Make sure we’re fully across the options.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Make sure you action that FUCK OFF, pop.
  • I don't get that management boardroom bullshit speak.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's because you are not a bullshiting manager. It's a way of saying things that make it sound like you're part of the club and like you know what you're talking about, without actually having to know what you're talking about.
  • Make sure you action that FUCK OFF, pop.

I'll be mentioning this in the project debrief, just FYI.

• I don't get that management boardroom bullshit speak.

I got quite brutal with a customer for gibbering about checking ADO for the current sprints when I'd asked him to just e-mail me which tasks he wanted the engineers to prioritise.  I'll follow a methodology if I have to but fuck speaking the lingo when all it does is add a layer of obfuscation.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds like much ado about nothing
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'll minute that response and we can discuss at the next Town Hall.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Sounds like much ado about nothing

This was nice.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just had my first actual work wobble in years today. A phone call to a parent who is known to be a bit of a bully, around an incident outside of school, and I had to ring at the end of the day. At the tail end of the call I was told "all that comes out of your mouth is a load of shit". I called them on the language, and they refused to admit they had done something wrong and I just got rattled. And I hate thet I got rattled.

Anyway, thankfully my head teacher is amazing and is keen to have quite an intense sit down with that parent.

But it was the first time I felt my voice cracking on the phone, and I've dealt with serious Child Protection issues. I felt insecure and unsure, and I'm supposed to be part of the Senior Management Team.

It was a bad day. I'm not expecting responses, and I don't need any hugz etc, but the main point I am wanting to make is speaking with colleagues across the city, and with head teachers, it seems that teaching staff are being subject to complete abuse post lockdown. I get that parents will have been utterly stressed during that time, but you can't expect staff, who are also adjusting to the return to school, to bend at your beck and call, particularly if online interactions have happened (which are a police matter btw).

Argh. Today has sucked.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I should add that I normally shake this off, but this one phone call was very personal and got at me. I've been called everything under the sun before but this was really unpleasant.
  • Feel ya there. That issue I had moving the wrong patient recently really got to me at the time but in hindsight I'm annoyed at myself for letting it get to me. We're human. Go hug the laddie.
  • Not the first teacher I know that’s been getting abuse from parents, unfortunately. Add in sick co-workers and every teacher I know right now seems to be being run ragged.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Not the first teacher I know that’s been getting abuse from parents, unfortunately. Add in sick co-workers and every teacher I know right now seems to be being run ragged.

There's a run happening, certainly among teachers in our council, getting abuse. The fallout from lockdown has emerged as where do we put the energy when kids rampantly spouting shit online has been forced upon teachers.

I'm going to say this, and I know every parent here knows this but

SCHOOL STAFF ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ONLINE INTERACTIONS. IF YOU ARE WORRIED SPEAK TO THE POLICE
  • That's so fucking out of order. As if teachers aren't having to deal with enough already outside all this, but since they've had to be on constant alert for everyone's health, being constantly on their toes making sure everyone is also following the new rules (with minimal help from govt guidelines) and raising students morale as much as possible. Honestly it makes me furious, the stuff I hear from my wife just makes me so angry. She's so stressed regularly, but making a student leave to go to medical because they're coughing up a lung, then to worry if she's done the right thing and have the student come back into her class 10 minutes later... It's a lot.

In terms of what you felt, I would add that you have a newborn baby definitely makes you feel more vulnerable due to tiredness, lack of eating well, always worrying etc.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm fine. My head teacher is something incredible, and I know he is gonna deal with it in a very very firm way. But I think the thing that school staff are mostly upset about is this concept that COVID has not affected them, or even worse, that they have had a 5 month holiday.

During lockdown I was on a school mobile to parents and carers of high risk parents and carers every day, organising food parcels, liaising work, and all sorts of other shit including numerous Teams meetings a week.
    There has been no consideration that staff are putting themselves into one of the highest risk spreading environments, and that we should just get everyone caught up.

Three teachers from our school, good teachers (to paraphrase the Naked Gun Shakespeare in the park ref) have actually tendered resignations following lockdown because they do not want to be used as punchbag anymore.

Unfortunately as we have had a modest payrise in Scotland last year (and we are talking 3% after 7 years of no pay rise) that will be the political argument.

I love my job and love what I do, but I feel that if I didn't have as strong a head as I do that I would be out at this point.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Teaching is hard enough at the best of times, even without utter bullshit like that. I hope you know that any regular folk are immensely grateful the work y'all manage to do. Dicks gonna be dicks, but hugs mate for finding yourself in the firing line of it. Hopefully the Head got through to them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My head is probably the best line manager I could ever have so fingers crossed
  • Because of circumstances we have quite a lot of out-of-school contact with a couple of the staff at the moment and we've made sure to make it clear that we are hugely appreciative of everything they're doing.  Doesn't make their jobs any easier I guess, but perhaps it's better than a kick in the face.

The hospital has been hopeless (one particular person very much excepted), however.  School started weeks ago and the people responsible for  providing a multi-disciplinary care plan still haven't done so and so my wife is effectively managing the process and I'm going to stop this now before it becomes a rant for another thread.
  • I grew up in a place where a teacher could beat the living fuck out of a kid, saw it with my own eyes, smashing his fucking head with a wooden board eraser. Afterwards, he says to him, tell your parents so they'll hit you some more. Obviously a psychopath, and he got me once and we slashed his fucking tires.

Point is, how do we go from that extreme to parents treating teachers like dirt, abusing them? Because it's swung too far the other way. Teacher used to be somebody. A profession, respectable. Lawyer, doctor, civil servant, teacher. Now they're just fucking serving you like the guy at Peet's. Fuck off with this individualistic, service model of everything. Parents fucking suck, and God knows what feeds through to kids.

A kid at my mum's school assaulted teachers, spat at them - it made the news last week. Whole school locked down like a shooting including - get this - some following the protocol and shutting windows (ie the ventilation). For over an hour because the 999 call said it wasn't a priority.

Surely there is a happy middle where teachers aren't abusers and their authority is questioned, but they aren't powerless figures there to provide a service to you and your child. Make teachers somebody again. Starts with the parents.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thanks everyone for those posts.

Where I stand -

Teachers are people.

They have been affected by lockdown too.

As I said to my classes, it was the longest I had been out of education since 2007 when I started. That needs to be the discussion.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I know you didn't want the hugz Reg but I did see someone with a #hugtheteachers bumper sticker tonight. So there's at least someone out there who has a hug for you.

Could also have been #bugtheteachers tbh.
  • I’m still not sure when the viewpoint that teachers are there to raise your child for you kicked in for so many.

Bit busy to talk to your kid? Teacher will do it.
    Kid getting fat?  Teachers fault, they don’t do PE no more.
    Child mentions bullying?  Scream at a school head without hesitation.
    Your child’s grades are falling?  Dunno but it’ll be to do with the summer holidays.
  • I’m still not sure when the viewpoint that teachers are there to raise your child for you kicked in for so many. Bit busy to talk to your kid? Teacher will do it. Kid getting fat?  Teachers fault, they don’t do PE no more. Child mentions bullying?  Scream at a school head without hesitation. Your child’s grades are falling?  Dunno but it’ll be to do with the summer holidays.

Funny you say the because in the 15+ years of teaching my wife still takes anti-anxiety medication specifically for parents evenings where she always gets yelled at. She tells the parents the student isn't working hard enough or doing their coursework to a high enough standard and they just yell at her that she isn't doing a good enough job.

They were mainly private schools so it was pretty much 'we're paying for this so you need to do better teaching them'.
  • I might have a brain explosion given how fucking hard being in charge a school is right now. No idea how the head is coping.

I caught a full fucking double barrel at 7:30 this morning from a teacher who, between sobs, told me we weren't considering staff wellbeing at all and made that very clear when asking them to provide remote learning as and when children need to self-isolate.

All utter bullshit, frankly, given what we've been tasked with by the government and the lengths we've gone to to ensure it is manageable. Still a gut punch though and it's hard to take when you are working so hard to come up with workable solutions and just get blamed for not doing the fucking impossible.

Nothing is helped by one staff member having a test today (negative, luckily) and another - 30 year old woman - being diagnosed with cancer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!