Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Got the job at the college.  Start training in a couple of weeks.  So that's a massive weight off the shoulders.  Especially at times like these.

Might even treat myself to a PS5 in the new year.
    That’s awesome! :)

Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yay!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Got the job at the college.  Start training in a couple of weeks.  So that's a massive weight off the shoulders.  Especially at times like these. Might even treat myself to a PS5 in the new year.
    WELL DONE BUD
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Gratz Matt, really happy to hear it!

I did not get the job I went for. Ho hum.
  • Sorry to hear that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Fuck this thread.
  • Thanks guys. It really is a weight off the shoulders. And I'm completely done with customers which is crazy to think about. No more upselling targets.

Sorry to hear you didn't get your thing, Temp.  It can get to you.  I actually wasnt out of work for too long but getting turned away by Tesco and various driver jobs was a right kick in the teeth, I have to say.

Keep plugging away. I nearly didn't even apply for this because they were looking for trade experience and I had none.
  • poprock wrote:
    Microsoft have slowly and quietly developed employee tracking tech (time spent, documents opened, email contacts, etc) that is embedded in the entire Office 365 suite. And it’s all turned on by default. This is probably illegal in the EU, and needs looking into. Long-ish Twitter thread about it here: https://twitter.com/WolfieChristl/status/1331221942850949121

More NOPE surveillance technology from Microsoft. They’ve filed patents for scanning/camera/software tech that ‘reads’ meetings – real or virtual – for body language, attention, etc and assigns them productivity scores.

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-patent-scores-meetings-using-body-language-191550305.html
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    None of this gets assigned to individuals in a way that management can see, I'm reliably informed. So it's more for high level shizzle than "Bob isn't concentrating enough". Apparently.
  • Bob's looking at a picture of a bizarrely ugly 90s babe
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    None of this gets assigned to individuals in a way that management can see, I'm reliably informed. So it's more for high level shizzle than "Bob isn't concentrating enough". Apparently.

Leading to the question, why do it at all? Who benefits?

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The previous stuff mentioned that raised concerns benifits me.

I imagine this might give a presenter some insight along the lines of "only 50% of your attendees contributed to the meeting. Consider inviting oy those that are really necessary".

That would benifit me because I would get asked to fewer bone meetings.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    You'll probably already be invited to fewer bone meetings now the series x is out though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • You can work out all of that without technology. Are people engaged and contributing? Excellent, you managed a good meeting.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Meetings are one thing, if you’re bringing in wider changes to a workplace and want to keep an eye on how they’re affecting productivity, then this could well be useful for quantifying the impact those changes are having.
  • My problem isn’t with the idea of improving productivity. My problem is with the idea that it can be solved by tech that auto-assigns ‘scores’ to inherently messy human behaviour – whether that’s at the level of tracking software usage or the level of analysing body language in a meeting.

But maybe that’s because I’m in the creative industries, where none of this is even remotely relevant.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s an additional data point, it shouldn’t override things like having face to face conversations with people or offering anonymous surveys or whatever, but it’s an extra tool and one which could prove helpful in certain situations, more in how things change over time than anything else.
  • It’s going to be misused by lazy managers who just pass the score up the chain and don’t give it any of that context.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Probably, but the issue there is lazy managers rather than the tool itself.
  • poprock wrote:
    My problem isn’t with the idea of improving productivity. My problem is with the idea that it can be solved by tech that auto-assigns ‘scores’ to inherently messy human behaviour – whether that’s at the level of tracking software usage or the level of analysing body language in a meeting. But maybe that’s because I’m in the creative industries, where none of this is even remotely relevant.
    Yossarian wrote:
    It’s an additional data point, it shouldn’t override things like having face to face conversations with people or offering anonymous surveys or whatever, but it’s an extra tool and one which could prove helpful in certain situations, more in how things change over time than anything else.

I'd agree with both the above. Any manager who is dumb enough to only look at stats when it comes to their team is going to fail. Case in point, one of my waiters who wasn't the best upseller or work horse has moved on to greener pastures and myself and the boss both commented how his overall attitude and demeanour was so good for overall workplace atmosphere (he was the guy you would always assign a new staff member - cheerful, positive and generally a good hand) I dont think he would be top half on any of the normal metrics (customer satisfaction is a tricky one) but he was always one of the first names on the rota.

I'm sure there are some jobs where it is all about productivity (Amazon picker maybe) but as said, shouldn't be the only tool used to decide who is good and who isn't. It has a very US approach though. They love their stats and league tables.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Working from home issues, nothing quite like having to stop work to deal with an explosive poo because one of your son's got so distracted playing a game he forgot he needed to go to the toilet
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Future pro gamer material, right there.
  • Our work tries to do this kind of two dimensional metric where they look at what you do and then how you do it.

It’s a tricky balance because things like attitude and enthusiasm are prone to bias and unconsciously discriminating but I do think there should be value for the guy that makes everyone feel good rather than the twat numbers merchant.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Working from home issues, nothing quite like having to stop work to deal with an explosive poo because one of your son's got so distracted playing a game he forgot he needed to go to the toilet

Take's after his dad I'll bet. You must have let a wet one through at some FNF? ;)
  • Working from home issues, nothing quite like having to stop work to deal with an explosive poo because one of your son's got so distracted playing a game he forgot he needed to go to the toilet

Wookie now confirmed as Cartmans mom.
    SFV - reddave360
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Working from home issues, can't work from home but should be

Edit: very conscious my go bed alarm has just gone off
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Speaking with a lawyer friend yesterday (took the dogs for a walk, good way to catch up outdoors) he was saying that his firm has been unusually profitable this year, so they’ve paid back their furlough money and Covid assistance grants in full. That’ll be a considerable amount of money given they’re one of Scotland’s biggest law firms.

Ethical lawyers. Whatever next?
  • Doctors with neat handwriting?
  • Teachers who can do?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!