Star Trek
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Scene 1: Picard enters the town’s repairman shop, lowers the broken Singer onto the table, points at it and says ‘Make it sew’ [canned laughter]
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Page turn burn.
  • That Picard trailer looks a bit poop, disappointingly. Early days tho. The ending suggests he is unwillingly being brought back into Starfleet shenanigans of some sort. With all those autonomous drones cultivating his vineyards he is probably wishing he stayed part-Borg.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Starship Collection has been extended again and is scheduled to run until mid-2020. I'm almost a bit disappointed as I don't want to have an overlapping subscription with the Discovery collection but am quite ready to move over now. I suspect this may be the last extension.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    New Picard trailer has wet my whistle. And a release date 24th January.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Discovery Season 2, Short Trek episode 1 is out.

Given the previous season of taster episodes:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just did Voyager S03E21 where Kes is skipping back through time.

Spoiler:
  • You final sentence summed up my feelings of kes throughout her whole time on voyager.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Meh, she ain’t so bad. Not a classic character by any stretch, but serviceable enough for Trek.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Meh, she ain’t so bad. Not a classic character by any stretch, but serviceable enough for Trek.

To be fair, I was disappointed most of the voyager crew survived every episode. Honestly I only really liked tuvoc, seven and the doc. Everyone else was far too bland.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I pretty much expect bland characters in Trek. I don’t think there are many more than two or three in any of the series that are particularly interesting.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    TOS only really had three main characters and ever since it's been kind of ambiguous whether the spin-offs are genuinely ensembles or also supposed to revolve around three characters. Gene Roddenbery intended for TNG to be centred around Picard, Riker and Data although obviously he died part way through. DS9 genuinely focused on all the characters including many that weren't even series regulars like Nog. VOY kind of retrofitted itself into the trio model from Season 4 and focused more on Janeway, Seven and the Doctor. And ENT deliberately leant into the trio model and the other main characters ended up being crap.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Despite being elevated by Stewart being excellent, I didn’t think Picard was really all that great a character, while Riker was a creepy sleaze.

If I had to pick interesting characters from TNG it’d be Data, Worf and, um, Q I guess. The rest were all pretty boring.

DS9 does slightly better with its regulars, but even then most of the Starfleet characters were pretty forgettable (apart from Bashir, obvs.)
  • Garak in DS9 was probably my favourite on that show. Voyager does improve as a show with the introduction of Seven of Nine. Though i agree with RedDave2 that the crew were bland for the most part.
  • I'd agree, sort of, that Star trek characters aren't the best but TNGs cast had a much better range and with the exception of Geordi, Deanna and maybe Bev Crusher the rest never gave that sinking feeling when the episode focused on them. DS9 also had a better range in its cast.

Voyagers cast near unanimously gave that sinking feeling. Even a characters like Chakotey and Torres who should have been dynamic and new to trek in terms of being non-star fleet felt damp and limp. Sure, they tried to fix things by changing Torres and Kes's hair styles but that only gets you so far.

The sheer sagging feeling of another Harry Kim episode is a feeling I can still remember on dark and lonely nights.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d take any Voyager character over Kira. There’s a character I couldn’t stand.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I didn’t think Picard was really all that great a character

I will cut you.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d take any Voyager character over Kira. There’s a character I couldn’t stand.

Kira was a good background character. She didn't work so well when pushed to the front but I liked how she had a contrary review to the cardassians that evolved over time. She was also one of the better shattered mirror villains.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hated her even in the background. Religion and tediously predictable teenage rebellion. Bleh.
  • Kira had good episodes especially when dealing with the cardassians and the slimey gul dakat.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I hated her even in the background. Religion and tediously predictable teenage rebellion. Bleh.

Whatever about liking the character, she had a proper characters journey. Sure, she starts out as the uppy rebellion fighter who believes in the religious dogma but she then has to accept that to secure bajor they have to become a small part of the federation, losing some of their independence. She discovers that much of the heroes and villains of the war weren't as they were portrayed and that the religious side of bajor is almost as bad as the cardassians (and sometimes hand in hand with them) she comes to know and fight with cardassians against the jem hadar and her relationship with gul dukat is a highlight imo.

She also had one of the best early episodes in duet.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Partridgeshrug.gif
  • Dax was good. Which series was she in? DS9?
  • Voyager wasted the potential of so many grey-area ex- terrorist/ criminal characters. Seven and the Doctor rescued that show. It was like the main crew were background characters.

DS9 was great - saw a really good tribute vid about Nog on Youtube following the actor's death. Like so many DS9 characters, he had a great character arc, especially in relation to Rom and Quark. Garrak and O'Brien were also great.

Disagree that Picard was a bad character - but Q really brings out the best in him, especially blue-shirt Picard episode.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not saying he’s a bad character, just not that interesting. It’s pretty much the standard problem with heroes, magnified a bit because he’s such a responsible hero. Being responsible doesn’t make for a particularly interesting character.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    He had some good episodes. The one on Risa and the one where he lived out his whole life and died spring to mind. I’m sure there were more.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m not saying he’s a bad character, just not that interesting. It’s pretty much the standard problem with heroes, magnified a bit because he’s such a responsible hero. Being responsible doesn’t make for a particularly interesting character.

I'm curious as to what you want in a character for a captain of a starship. I think he was a well written character until the movies tried to make him into some type of odd action hero.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kirk was decent, but that’s because he was so ridiculous and over the top. I noted that Picard basically never went on away missions, which is definitely far more realistic for a starship captain, Kirk was clearly grossly irresponsible to leave the ship, with his first officer no less, at every opportunity. If he was a real starship captain, he should be fired. But, having said all of that, it made for a better character because he could be thrown into much more interesting situations. And shag aliens left right and centre, ofc. Picard mostly got to stand on the bridge and be sensible.
  • If you want a good Picard episode, I recommend Starship Mine.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I watched them all. He’s fine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!